Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
299 Views, 6 Replies

Bad install

This past weekend I installed the student version of autocad 2012.  Everything seemed to go fine.  It downloaded, files extracted and then it asked me if I wanted to download the service pack.  Yes, and away it went.  It finished and green writing said it was sucessfully downloaded.  Problem was the install button never highlighted.  It wouldn't do anything.  Can somebody please give me advice how I can get this thing going?  Thank you

SPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

Consider installing it sans the service pack.  I never recommend installing with the service pack.  Install successfully first and then apply the service pack if needed. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

How do I do that?  Thank you,

SPG

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Install again with your original download and do not choose to download the service pack with the installation.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: TravisNave

I had to install it twice before it decided to be nice. It is now up and running.  Thank you,

spg

Message 6 of 7
andy.laugisch

wait until you try to customize it or tax it past the usual canned demo level. it will give you hours of grief (verry unstable & prone to crash).

autocad 2012...a therapist's wet dream!!!!

Message 7 of 7
andy.laugisch

Installation, Customization, and more...(sarcasm/rant)

• The installation process has been changed once again to better streamline the process. (as in a stream of money for resellers, since custom installation is prone to create issues that are undocumented, have no known solutions or require extensive time & user training to solve) when will corporate deal with the fact that they don’t have a clue about user experience/appreciation or that this current economy won't accommodate for dedicated IT support to compensate for Autodesk’s lack of Beta testing (talk about out-sourcing!!!)
  • If you migrate your previous settings using the (non-working...I really mean NON_WORKING) migration tool, you can now reset back to the default settings using a special program on the start menu called "Reset Settings to Default" (you will do this over & over & over, because Autodesk doesn't want you to customize their cumbersome interface, they want you to pull your hair out until you’re ready to fork over even more cash for customization assistance or AU certified courses to figure it out on your own) They should have named this tool (sorry, I got confused…do you want to go to the only configuration we tried before we shipped this %$^# or would you prefer to spend additional money teaching you how to bridge over our holes?)
  • You can now specify multiple paths for PC3 files, PMP files, and plot style table (CTB/STB) files. (Because AutoCAD needs all the help it can get just to find its own commands within an already deep file structure) (good luck migrating that to other users)
  • Help is still PAINFULLY slow. The readme states that if your default browser is not Internet Explorer, your Help experience may not be optimal. (I did not notice any useful help, except "contact your IT guy or reseller or can we sell you some advanced training") THANKS FOR THE HELP
  • There are ±70 new or changed commands, and ±40 new or changed system variables. Two commands (BLIPMODE and DSVIEWER) and six system variables have been removed. to totally screw up long time users lisps & customized tools, requiring even more time & money over the original purchase cost to get back to previous version's productivity levels.
  • AutoCAD 2012 is now available as part of the Autodesk Design Suite which also includes 2012 versions of Sketchbook Designer, Mudbox, and Showcase, and optionally 3ds Max, and Alias Design. (Because Autodesk 2012 was so bug prone as a stand-alone that it needed the added incentive to get users to upgrade from previous/more stable versions.)
  • Version 2013 is sure to repeat the process & perform another "52 card pick-up" joke once AutoCAD 2012 has been beta tested & debugged by loyal & trapped users, We just can't have a stable, well oiled program; users may actually stick with a comfortable user interface & system variables. That would threaten corporate happiness "endless customer subscriptions". And that's the real reason why so many customers are skipping multiple versions...to mitigate Autodesk’s havoc on their health & welfare.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report