Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk software on RDS Server

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ebitadam
6742 Views, 10 Replies

Autodesk software on RDS Server

Hello All,

We are looking into potentially moving to a Microsoft Remote Desktop Services environment and I have a few questions regarding compatibility from a hardware and software perspective before proceeding.

We will be looking at using the Autodesk Navisworks Freedom and the DWG TrueView on our RDS system.

Is the software compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2?

Is the software supported in a Remote Desktop Services environment?

Are there any specific hardware / software / operating system requirements for the software?

Are there any specific hardware or software requirements for the software within RDS mode?

Are there any specific licensing requirements when the software is running in RDS mode?

Is there anyone in the community running this software that are running this software in RDS mode and if so how is the performance of the software?

Thankyou for your time, if you require any further information please let me know.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: ebitadam

ebitadam wrote:

Is the software compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2? 

No.

Is the software supported in a Remote Desktop Services environment?

No. 

Autodesk only supports Citrix environments.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101

Are there any specific hardware / software / operating system requirements for the software?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/navisworks-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarti...

Are there any specific hardware or software requirements for the software within RDS mode?

No.

Are there any specific licensing requirements when the software is running in RDS mode?

Yes, when running Citrix.

Is there anyone in the community running this software that are running this software in RDS mode and if so how is the performance of the software?

Running the Autodesk software in this fashion is a violation of the license agreement and is unsupported.

Thankyou for your time, if you require any further information please let me know.

You're welcome.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: ebitadam

Navisworks Freedom and DWG TrueView are relatively lightweight, so there won't be much benefit to running them remotely as opposed to having them on the users hardware except for when they have mobile, extremely lightweight systems like a tablet.  In that case might also want to look into AutoDesk Remote.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 11
DrawIT
in reply to: TravisNave

This isn't right - "Running the Autodesk software in this fashion is a violation of the license agreement and is unsupported."

Doesn't appy to TrueView because it doesn't have an agreement.

This isn't right - "Autodesk only supports Citrix environments. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101"

This doesn't suggest AutoDesk products will not run on other environments. It just says they partner with Citrix and which Citrix products will work.

We run TrueView on RDS no problem bar one small font problem - ongoing as I type. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: DrawIT

Don't confuse the issue. This thread is not about "read-only" software but
full version products.

The use of Autodesk products over remote server services is prohibited
except when using Citrix XenApp.

Thanks.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 11
DrawIT

The requester wanted an answer to this question   "Is there anyone in the community running this software that are running this software in RDS mode and if so how is the performance of the software?"

I replied for TrueView. Your answer seemed to apply to both TrueView and Navis.

So yes we are running Trueview with little problem on our RDS environment and there are no licesnsing issues without an agreement. Saying what works with Citrix isn't an answer.

Message 7 of 11
TravisNave

Whatever floats your boat guy. TrueView is not a performance based product.
But that's fine. Glad it works for you. Thanks for your input. Have a good
one.

Autodesk Forums:
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 11
TravisNave

Whatever floats your boat guy. TrueView is not a performance based product.
But that's fine. Glad it works for you. Thanks for your input. Have a good
one.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 11
DrawIT

It's not about me really but it's for whoever needs to know if TrueView works or not on RDS.

Message 10 of 11
TravisNave

Excellent!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 11
DrawIT

Good. Then why not give Kudos?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report