Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Mudbox wont open

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
cleopar1
10662 Views, 16 Replies

Autodesk Mudbox wont open

Well I installed the suite about 3 weeks ago and only recently tested to make sure all the programs were working right since I wanted to play around on them.
Autodesk 3ds max, maya, motionbuiler, and softimage all work perfect.

I tried to do Mudbox and at first I thought it is probably taking a while since it normally does that when you first start it up ever on your labtop. After about 5 minutes I decide something was wrong and tried to get to my task bar to see if it was even running. Nothing, could not get it to appear. It ended up freezing my labtop to the point where I could only move the mouse.  So I reseted my computer then tried once more just in case maybe I hit the key twice and it froze due to that. It froze again.

I have a

Dell

Model- XPS L702X
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7

Ram-  8.00GB
System Type - 64-bit Operating System

I looked over the system requirements and my labtop passes so I am not sure what is the issue. I don't know if it is a simple patch download(I download when I installed all the service packs and stuff) or a setting, or what.

Please help.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cleopar1
in reply to: cleopar1

Still need help.....=/

Message 3 of 17
driftwood

I've been having the same issue. The program installed correctly (presumably, as there were no error messages, etc.) but, when I open the program and try to start a new project, I see only a very small "pickbox" and a black screen. All of the functionality of the program appears to be operating and I can view my selected "balnk" in the 2D wire mesh view but not in the 3D view.

I have been researching this issue for about a week now and have come to the conclusion, based on discussion group postings, etc., that even though my system variables are sufficent to run the program, my graphics card seems to be "lacking" in its ability to process the intense amount of data generated by the program. I have similar system variables as you have reported (i7 1.6 GHz Quad-core Intel processor, 64 bit WIN 7 OS, 8G RAM, NVIDIA GT230M graphics card w/512 MB on-board).

The sad thing is that I specified the components of this laptop in anticipation of the release of this graphics suite. Unfortunately, prior to its release, there was very little information available to advise as to what might be necessary. So, I based my decisions on the available info (at the time) and, by all account, overexceeded the minimum requirements by a longshot.

What I have recently learned (if I can find the URL of the site with the information, I will post it) is that in order to run Mudbox, it is necessary to have a "workstation" grade graphics card. I have been researching these and they are not cost prohibitive. However, I have not had time to determine whether or not I can replace the graphics card in my HP Pavillion dv8t 1100 notebook. If so, I am going to do this. If not, then I will uninstall Mudbox and monitor the discussions in the hope of Autodesk resolving this issue.

Doubtful, as it is not a case of Autodesk being remiss with regard to their compatibility concerns but they should certainly be more forthcoming with the system requirements so that more people like you and I do not end up wasting so much of our time on such a fruitless venture.

Wish I had some better news for you but I'm afraid that this is the "bottom-line", as far as I can tell. Incidentally, I welcome anyone that reads this post and disagrees with me to post a comment explaining the basis of their disagreement as this would solve my issue as well! So, if it turns out that I am incorrect, please understand that this is my hope. I am only passing-on the information that I have found but by no means do I profess to be a well informed source; just a regular user hoping to help someone else avoid the same "goose chase" I've been on for so long...

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 17
eligonalex
in reply to: driftwood

When I tried to open mudbox 2012 a popup came up telling me that mudbox requires a new ATI graphics driver. I went to the ATI site and filled in my graphics card information and downloaded what I believe was the correct graphics driver. However, I still get the same popup and when I ignore it to continue opening the program I get the message "Mudbox application file has stopped working". Does anyone know what I can do here? By the way, Maya 2012 works fine for me. The only problem is mudbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have attached a jpg image of the message that pops up when I try to open mudbox.

Computer Information:

Windows 7 64-bit

ATI Radeon 4200 HD graphics card

Mudbox version 2012

Message 5 of 17
tisun
in reply to: driftwood

the first time i open mudbox,it work fine,i am very happy,but the next times mudbox can not start,

i just see the window and words: mudbox is loading, a then  window tell it have problem and close modbox,

who can help me

Message 6 of 17
eligonalex
in reply to: tisun

Mine is actually working now. I'm not sure if the same solution will work for you but I had to uninstall then reinstall my graphics driver software.

I'm not sure about other operating systems but for windows 7 I went to control panel> Hardware & Sound> Device Manager. From here, I clicked on "display adapters". Then right click your graphics card and uninstall. Finally, I reinstalled my graphics driver from a CD that came with the computer.

Once again, I'm not sure if the same solution will work for you but I called HP tech support and that is what they told me to do.

Best of Luck.

Message 7 of 17
loganjoblin

im having the exact same problem as the very first post. nothing comes up, mudbox is listed as running in processes but the ram usage skyrockets to 15gig and everything slows to a stop. (my ram is 8gig)

Message 8 of 17
chuckkles022

hey man i have the same probelm now i see u run simalr spec for u machine the only difference is mine is the xps 15z. i was just wondering did u ever figure out a solution 

Message 9 of 17
eligonalex
in reply to: chuckkles022

Hello,

I don't know if this solution will work for you but I think my problem was with my graphics card. If you have Windows 7, search in the start menu (lower left area of screen) for "Device Manager". I expanded the area that says "Display Adapters" and then right clicked and clicked "uninstall". I then reinstalled the graphics driver using a disc that came with the computer.

To be honest it has been a few months since I did this so I can't guarantee for sure if that is exactly what I did. I would recommend calling the manufacturer of your computer to see what they suggest.

The reason I realized that the problem was with my graphics card was because I was having problems with other programs such as Maya and Photoshop. If Mudbox is the only thing not working then you might have a different problem but perhaps your computer manufacturer will still be able to help.

Good luck. I hope you get passed this problem soon.

Message 10 of 17
driftwood

As was the case with my initial experience with Mudbox, the issue is most likely in your GPU ("graphics card"). It seems, although only after a tremendous amount of wasted time, money and overall resources that Mudbox does not like to play with others. I, too, had a system config that well exceeded the min. req. for Mudbox and was puzzled over why I was experiencing exactly what you have described.

The long & short of it, as I am best able to "decipher", is that Mudbox is a program that is happy when running on a machine with, at least, a low-end workstation-class GPU. Even the "smokin'" consumer-grade cards that you will find for gaming (500 Series & up), etc. will not pair well with Mudbox. I also understand that AutoDesk, in general, seems to favor NVIDIA hardware vs. AMD and others; although I am running an AMD v5900 (low-end w/stn GPU) in one of my desktop w/stn configs and I have not experienced any issue, at all.

I have no idea whether it is the architecture of the processors (consumer vs. workstation/NVIDIA vs. AMD) or what (although I am sure that someone will write-in with a scathing commentary RE: my incorrect assumptions, etc., and then you will have the technical answer ;-), but there is a website that you can go to as a resource to determine whether or not your GPU (or one that you might have your eye on) is listed as being "certified". All this designation means is that Autodesk (or the GPU manuf.) has physically tested the hardware/software combo and have determined that it "works". There is no indication given as to how well they work with regard to performance, comparisons, etc. but these sites will point you in the right direction...the first website is one that I found to be very helpful: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/certified/Pages/certified-applications.aspx?isv=Autodesk&...

and the following URL was provided by my s'ware re-seller: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert?siteID=123112&id=16391880

Good Luck! RD

Message 11 of 17

Same problem here. I start Mudbox 2012, and it loads up one CPU core, and starts eating up massive amounts of RAM. It killed my system the first time to a point all I could do was switch it off, second time I tried I killed the mudbox.exe process just before it hit 8Gb ram.

I have a Dell M4600 with i7, 8GB ram, Quadro 1000M.

Since I don't need the program for anything usefull I'm not going to try and fix it, but thought I'd mention it here.

Message 12 of 17
LaCamilla

I'm glad I found a thread about this problem, or I would have reinstalled Mudbox and failed again, all in vain. Now I know I won't even have to try, just be happy with 3ds Max. 😉

I tried to start the program, all 16gb of memory went to work the heck out of themselves, and the first time everything froze and the second it just ate 99% memory without anything else happening, so I switched off the computer, restarted, tried again, but alas, in vain. Sort of glad it seems to be a big problem. So to be able to use Mudbox, I conclude that you need a computer like the ones they have at Pixar animation studios...?

The other programs in the Entertainment Creation Suite work well, though, so they don't seem to affect each other. Good thing. 🙂

EDIT: I have Windows 7 Home Premium. Seems I need Professional to use Mudbox... didn't know until now. Maybe someone else also made that mistake?

Message 13 of 17
Shadow5XL

You have to install Mudbox 2011 if you have intel or any graphics hardware that is not ATI or NVIDIA. It will stillhave the error message but the trick is to keep clicking on the version 2011 to force it to open then you will see the activation page. What I did was clicked "try" then let the program open and just clicked on a couple of things to see if the program was working properly then I closed it then opened it again saw the error message but the program still opened. I then activated the product key and it works fine but there is still an error message but just click on the x and this on a laptop that is running an Intel. Sometimes you just have to show these machines who is the boss.

Message 14 of 17

I had the same issue then I updated my graphic card driver and It is working now.Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 17
hitesh.ramawat01

i am also having the same problem did find the solution..???

Message 16 of 17
hitesh.ramawat01

i need help am having the same problem...plz help me.

Message 17 of 17

Me too. Brand new install Any help on this?

Asrock z77 extreme9 | Intel i7 3770K 3.5 | Win 7 64 bit | (4) EVGA GTX 690 | Apple Cinema Display | LEPA G1600W PSU | 16GB Ram | Storm Trooper Case | Tripp-Lite 1600W UPS | Autodesk Inventor | 3DS Max | Cinema 4D R14 Broadcast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report