Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Maya Student Version showreel permit clarifications.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
roope.reimi
1017 Views, 3 Replies

Autodesk Maya Student Version showreel permit clarifications.

Hiya! There has already been alike post concerning using pictures made with student versions in portfolios, but I still wanted to get some other clarifications for this.

I was aware that works made with student version cannot be used for profitable and/or commercial work but I had an image that works made by student version could still be used for job applications in the form of portfolio, showreel etc. as long that work itself is not monetarized.

However... I decided to be sure and looked up some articles and found up views which saw creating a work for job application would still be commercial use since it is possible that the job can bring up money for applicant.

So now I'm in bit hard situation. I have made some promising material using my student MAYA and was going to create a showreel to apply possible work. The thing is that we're not paid because this job is supposed to be part of our studies. Job practice, to be exact (don't know proper English translation for this one) so it would still be part of the studies and we're likely to use work-place's own softwares.

The thing I would like to ask is that would it be legal in situation like this to use works made with student version of MAYA to apply for the job? Whether we get paid in this job or not. Would it be legal for example to download showreel into the disk and send it to the job with application or by email but still not put it to any public domain? Would it be legal to put this showreel online? This might be a stupid question but it really concerns me. I would like to show these fruits of my work, but if it is not allowed, I gotta find out something else.  

The regulations for the use of student version are pretty clear when it comes down to monetary gain, but in situations like this I would like to hear some opinions about these grey areas to be sure. The works themselves are not going to be used for any commercial use and by themselves have served mostly as educative products.

P.S Thank you beforehand and sorry for my strange English. Smiley Indifferent

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
asburyj
in reply to: roope.reimi

The student license does not allow any commercial or for-profit purposes. If you are being paid directly in any way for the works than it is a violation and if your work is used on a commericial site or in any way draws traffic to or advertises for a money making enterprise that can be a violation. Using the work in a demo reel/resume or posting it to a non-monotized website such a a personal resume site should be fine. Be careful about posting to things like youtube because, even if you aren't making money from the views, youtube is making money so that technically can be a violation. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: roope.reimi

Using EDU content for a job applications would be on the lighter side of the grey area; personally (not a lawyer), I don't think there would be a problem with using it that way.  Any work done as part of a job (paid or otherwise) is typically property of the employer so it wouldn't/shouldn't be in a portfolio without permission.  Just be clear that your EDU content can't be re-used for work projects.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
roope.reimi
in reply to: asburyj

Thank you for quick answer!

This pretty much covered my question. These grey-area matters seem always confusing. From the beginning I wasn't gonna use student version for direct profit but to get some material to gain some work experience. The work I'm gonna apply is actually part of my studies as I said so we won't get paid for it so there isn't that much of profit coming out of it, but still was unsure. This set my mind at ease. Of course as my studies are finished, I shall buy proper license as soon as possible. 

Until then I guess I still play it safe and try not to publish showreel online but send it as part of the email in applications and not use works made under student license after I have proper license. That youtube mention was a good one and didn't take it account beforehand. This in the end seem to fall into the matters of conscience, so I try to respect licence the best way I can as making resumes.

Thank you for your time! Much appreciated!  

Roope Reimi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report