Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Maya 2011 and "Maya application has stopped working" issue

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
RKeown
9590 Views, 19 Replies

Autodesk Maya 2011 and "Maya application has stopped working" issue

After a a few days of working with Pay Per Incident support at Autodesk, we finally were able to come up with a solution to the following issue:

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II Quad Core (4x3.0GHz), 8GB RAM DDR3, Radeon HD 4570 w/512MB RAM, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2010. I am able to download and install Autodesk 2011 Maya 64-bit, but when it starts up, an output window pops up with ''import site' failed; use -v for traceback' and the splash screen says 'Maya loading'. After 2-3 minutes, windows pops up an error message, staing that the 'Maya application has stopped working'. the error message in the Application Evnt Log says that 'Faulting application name: maya.exe, version: 2010.3.19.311, time stamp: 0x4ba343c5 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000000056716 Faulting process id: 0x2250 Faulting application start time: 0x01cb6c07ad1f5f6a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\bin\maya.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll Report Id: 4114cb72-d7fb-11df-b924-78e7d1c8eab9'. I had McaFee disabled during the install , both firewal and antivirus. I can't get either the 32-bit or 64 bit versions to run. All other applications (3DS Max, Motionbuilder and Mudbox) run fine without any issue. Is this a known issue?

This was originally posted on the students.autodesk.com site, and was eventually escalated up to SafetyNet. The issue came down to a Python Environment Variable called 'PYTHONPATH' (without the single-quotes), that looks to have been from another application/installation not related to Autodesk.  If you are getting the "Maya application has stopped working", and in the event log is the issue reported above, perform the following steps to see if you are being affected by this issue.

1) Right-click on My Computer, and go into Properties. 

2) Click on the Advanced System Settings link.  Go into the Environment Variables section, and scroll down to see if an Environemtn Variable is setup for either PYTHONHOME or PYTHONPATH.  Click on the Edit button.  Copy and paste the settings into notepad, as well as the Variable Name itself, in case you need to restore this. 

3) Once you've successfully saved the file, make sure you have this environment variable selected, and press the Delete button. 

4) Close the Advance System Settings Window, and then restart Maya 2011.

There is one other known issue to cause the "Maya application has stopped working", and there is a simple fix for this, as well.  You need to obtain an updated version of the DBGHELP.DLL from Microsoft, usually included in the Debugging Tools for Windows.  Make sure you download a proper version for your system.  64-bit for 64-bit systems, and the 32bit for 32-bit systems.  Once you've obtained this, and installed it, simplly copy the dorrect version of DBGHELP.DLL to your Maya 2011 bin folder under Program Files\Autodes\Maya2011

To determine which one of these two issues you may be experiencing, you'll need to open up the Application Event Log, underr the application error, and see if it references either NTDLL.DLL, or DBGHELP.DLL.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
david.lau
in reply to: RKeown

Thanks for posting this and sharing with the community.

David Lau
Message 3 of 20
mjh77

This solved it for me. I had to do both fixes...  Thanks

Message 4 of 20
Witchunter

Just wanted to thank you for sharing this information! I had the problem regarding environmental variable, which was set by CollabNet Edge to it's own folder. I'm not sure if Edge will work now, but it doesn't matter - I have some priorities! 🙂

Thank you once again, RKeown!

Message 5 of 20
RKeown
in reply to: Witchunter

You guys are very welcome, as this was getting really frustrating for me, as well. But I can't take the credit, as it was the do dilligence of David Lau from Autodesk that really found the issue, and resolution.

Message 6 of 20
dculyba

I've been running into what appears to be exactly this problem. I'm trying to install Maya 2011 and run into the "Maya application file has stopped working" message when the application is starting. I checked the event log and it says the crash is happening with DBGHELP.DLL, version: 6.8.4.0.

I've tried everything suggested and nothing seems to work:

• I've replaced the DBGHELP.DLL with different versions (6.11.1.404, 6.9.3.113, 6.6.7.5, and 6.1.7600.16385)
  • I've confirmed that there are no python system variables nor any python installs
  • I've made sure there are no erroneous MAYA_ENVIRONMENT system variables
  • I've uninstall Microsoft Office 2007 (a solution that was suggested somewhere else)
  • I upgraded to Windows 7 (was originally Vista)
  • I've tried using both the Service Pack 1 installer and the Hotfix 3 installer
  • I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled Maya dozens of times.
  • I've confirmed that the license file is valid (I've tried both running it as a trial and pointing it at our license server--same results on both).
  • I've upgraded my video drivers
I'm at my wit's end here on trying to get Maya to run. The only relevant variable that I can think of that might be related is that this machine was previously running Maya 2009 (which I uninstalled before installe 2011). Beyond that I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pursue finding a solution?

My system:

32-bit Windows 7

Core2 Duo Processor E7300 @ 2.66GHz

4 gigs of ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX 570

-Dave

Message 7 of 20
david.lau
in reply to: dculyba

I would check that the video card and driver are certified.  You can check it out here:

www.autodesk.com/qual-charts

David Lau
Message 8 of 20
RKeown
in reply to: dculyba

Watch the maya loading screen, in the background as the error message pops up.  Look at what the very last line says for Loading/Initializing, and post that back to the forum.  One thing to try is to update your Video Card Driver to v258.96 from NVidia, as this is the driver listed as being tested/certified for for most of their cards.  One thing to note as well, the Quadro FX 580 falls below the minimum system requirements for both XP and Vista versions of teh App, but is being tested still on Windows 7

Chances are that if the FX 580 doesn't meet the minimum requirements, the FX 570 most likely won't either.  It sounds like you're going to need a new graphics card

Her's a link to the Maya 2011 Hardware Compatibility sheet in PDF form.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/qualcharts/2011/maya2011_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf

According to this sheet, it looks like the next step up for you, would be a Quadro FX 1700, as its listed as compatible, but not officially certified. 

Rob

Message 9 of 20
dculyba

The hardware compatibility was an excellent suggestion, but after a few hours of hardware swapping, it looks like that isn't the problem. 

I've now tried a GeForce 9800 GTX and a Radeon HD 3800 (updated drivers and a clean install of maya after installing the card) and I'm still getting the error. The Radeon came from a machine that was able to run Maya 2011 just fine, so I resonably confident that that card would have solved my problem if it was a hardware compatibility problem.

I think my last ditch effort is going to be wiping this computer and starting from a completely clean slate. It feels a little drastic, but hopefully it will work.

Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 20
dculyba

Just to update: Doing a clean install of Windows (instead of the program and settings preserving upgrade) solved my problem. I'm not sure what that means my real problem was, but Maya seems to be happy now.

Message 11 of 20
crasx

you just saved a late night. ty so much.

Message 12 of 20
RKeown
in reply to: crasx

It caused me a few late nights, myself, but in the end, it was worth it.  Glad to hear.

Message 13 of 20
uberwear

I have a very similar error, I noted ntdll.dll being involved -->

'Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Description:
Faulting application name: maya.exe, version: 2010.3.19.311, time stamp: 0x4ba343c5
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7b325
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6ab2
Faulting process id: 0x15b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc93e4b8c4c53e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2011\bin\maya.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: f904d45b-ffd7-11e0-a16c-bcaec52103d6'

However, under Environment Variables section, there appears to be no Environemtn Variable listed or anything related to  PYTHONHOME or PYTHONPATH.

Any suggestions?

Message 14 of 20
exyide

Im having a slightly differnt problem and maybe someone can help me out. I have maya 2013 installed on my computer. I installed a trial of another program that I wanted to check it out. Turned out that program needed maya 2012 so I installed that too while still having 2013 installed. I did not like the trial of the program I installed so I uninstalled it but never uninstalled maya 2012. I have been using maya to render for a while now but recently realized it was batch rendering using 2012 mental ray. I wanted to use my network rendering that works with 2013 so I uninstalled maya 2012 and now I cant get maya 2013 to batch render at all. Not in maya and not out. I have been researching and so far have not figure out how to fix this. Any ideas? I have tried to re install and uninstall maya I tried to adjust the environment variables but im not sure if I did that right. I have tried looking on forums and google but no luck. What I do and have always done is right click on the maya file then choose render.

The cmd prompt shows and says starting C:.......

Mental Ray for maya 2013

Then the version and date and then widows shows an crash window and says Maya Batch application file has stopped working. Any help would be awesome.

Message 15 of 20
exyide

Last bit I checked my event log and this is what it says. I dont know what any of it means.

Faulting application name: mayabatch.exe, version: 13.0.199.0, time stamp: 0x4f44b52d
Faulting module name: FOUNDATION.dll, version: 13.0.199.0, time stamp: 0x4f44a2f2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000003d390
Faulting process id: 0xd0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce3a4cd1172589
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\bin\mayabatch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2013\bin\FOUNDATION.dll
Report Id: 1ff4f124-a640-11e2-bf23-6c626d412153

Message 16 of 20
david.lau

Can you try to uninstall your software and reinstall the SP?  It is a full installer!

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL20537489

David Lau
Message 17 of 20
exyide
in reply to: david.lau

Yes I already tried that and it dd not work.

Message 18 of 20
sc025
in reply to: exyide

Hopefully this thread isn't dead yet...

I'm having the same problem (although it has only started happening recently when it worked fine for months before and I haven't installed anything new in the meantime that could be causing this).

Maya 2014 (student version) will just randomly (but every time--without fail--when I try to "save scene"/"save scene as" or import alembic) crash with the error message "maya application file has stopped working." I've already tried repairing and uninstalling and reinstalling but it keeps happening, no matter if it's a large scene or just a scene with a simple cone and nothing else.

The problem is that I don't see any PYTHON environment variables that I can delete (which was apparently the solution for the ntdll.dll error).

And I get the same problem with Maya 2015 (also student version) with the error message "maya has stopped working."

I've attached a file with both event logs and a list of all my environment variables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Saskia

Message 19 of 20
dseeni
in reply to: sc025

I'm getting the same problem with maya 2016. Ntdll.dll, but for me I'll be working and perhaps if I don't clear history for a few hours it will crash. I don't know if it has to do with history though, I used to very rarely clear history and I have rock solid. I don't know if its my windows installation or if it's maya 2016. But it is certainly frustrating to finish off work.

Message 20 of 20
sc025

Don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it fixed the problem for me (I read about this somewhere else and even though it wasn't the same problem I had, it was the only solution I found that actually worked):
Go to Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences > Files/Projects > File Dialog > Change to OS Native instead of Maya Default

No ideal why, but I haven't had any problems since...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report