Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor won't open but shows up in task manager

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
packiwither
2097 Views, 8 Replies

Autodesk Inventor won't open but shows up in task manager

I recently downloaded Autodesk inventor 2015 on to my laptop. I presumed it installed completely as I left it overnight and when I checked in the morning the installer was closed and there was a shortcut on my desktop to inventor. However my problem occurs when I try to open inventor. I get the swirly symbol beside my mouse button (I use windows 7) suggesting something is loading but after a few seconds it goes away and nothing happens. However, when I have the task manager open, inventor.exe shows up in the processes but nothing opens, instead I sometimes (only occasionally for some reason) get a message saying inventor needs to register with the OS and that I should kill the offending programs stopping it from doing so which, it says! is inventor. I have no idea what is up with it and there's nothing in the forums or internet similar to this problem.
I am new to the forums so I am not sure if this post belongs here but I would appreciate some help with this problem.
Cheers
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: packiwither

This sounds like you might not meet system requirements or you have a restriction of sorts running, either anti-virus or other system policy.  What are you trying to run this on?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
packiwither
in reply to: TravisNave

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but here it is.
I checked over the system requirements and now relise I should have an 8gb system compared to my 2gb system and am still unsure if my graphics card's 3D ability. This is odd however as previously I ran autodesk inventor 2014 on my laptop and it worked, albeit pretty laggy. If this is the case if presume there's no way to fix it with out getting a whole new system however if the is some miraculous way to make it work that would be great.
Thanks
Message 4 of 9
packiwither

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but here it is.
I checked over the system requirements and now relise I should have an 8gb system compared to my 2gb system and am still unsure if my graphics card's 3D ability. This is odd however as previously I ran autodesk inventor 2014 on my laptop and it worked, albeit pretty laggy. If this is the case if presume there's no way to fix it with out getting a whole new system however if the is some miraculous way to make it work that would be great.
Message 5 of 9
TravisNave

Yeah, it's simply not going to run in any usable fashion. Sorry.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 9
packiwither

Darn, well thanks though
Message 7 of 9
packiwither

Sorry one last thing, I have another laptop than runs autodesk ok (we used the trial) so does it work if I transfer the product key that I received for my laptop that does not run autodesk to the laptop that does run it? Even though the one on the laptop that works is using 2014 and the Key I have is a 2015 key (I know about how to change the product code to the right version)
Message 8 of 9
TravisNave

Depends.  If you bought your 2015 with Subscription, then yes, you can request a previous version serial number and activate your 2014.  Subsequently, you can simply install the 2015 on the laptop, if it meets requirements. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 9
packiwither

On the working laptop it was the inventor 2014 trial whereas on the not working laptop it was the student 2015 inventor edition. In the other hand is it possible to request an older product serial number in this case and if not will the 2015 code work in 2014?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report