Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Install Disk Space

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
orobracs
6532 Views, 6 Replies

Autodesk Inventor 2014 Install Disk Space

I am attempting to install Autodesk 2014 Educational on my computer running Windows 8 Pro.

However, I am attempting to install not to my C:\ drive, but to my D:\ drive, as C:\ is a SSD used exclusively for my OS, and does not have room to support Inventor. However, I am only able to relocate Inventor itself to my D:\ drive, Autodesk still insists on depositing ten gigabytes of ambiguous content on my C:\ drive. As there is insufficient room on the drive to do this, it refuses to install. (I am using the 'Install Now' download option)

Thanks for your time!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JimStrenk
in reply to: orobracs

@orobracs wrote:

I am attempting to install Autodesk 2014 Educational on my computer running Windows 8 Pro.

However, I am attempting to install not to my C:\ drive, but to my D:\ drive, as C:\ is a SSD used exclusively for my OS, and does not have room to support Inventor. However, I am only able to relocate Inventor itself to my D:\ drive, Autodesk still insists on depositing ten gigabytes of ambiguous content on my C:\ drive. As there is insufficient room on the drive to do this, it refuses to install. (I am using the 'Install Now' download option)

Thanks for your time!

It's been my personal experience what your attempting do won't is not possible and with good reason.  Many, if not most or all the files placed on your computer during installation are written in a way that points to other files that are expected in specific locations.

What you can do however, is to separate applications and program files, from the data files.  After installing the application at its default locations on the C: Drive, I then run Inventor for the first time and make my customizations so that project files, part files, assembly files, FEA calculations and other related data or output files reside on the 😧 Drive.  Here at home, you'll see a main folder for each years new installation of Inventor with folder names such as Inventor 2013 Pro, Inventor 2012 Pro and so on, on the 😧 Drive.

I follow a very basic philososphy of installing appliications and program files on the C: Drive and keep all my data on the 😧 Drive.  In your particular case, it would appear that you're going to need a larger C: Drive to accomplish installing Inventor 2014. Smiley Sad

I hope my reply helps in stimulating others in joining this discussion and removing any thought from your head that you're being ignored.

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
Message 3 of 7
TravisNave

Message 4 of 7
koen.van.tiel
in reply to: TravisNave

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I'm still 4,8gb short in memory so i'm currently looking for a alternative way to install inventor on my 3Tb HDD.

I'll post any progress in here but for the now all tips and tricks are welcome.

Greethings

Koen.
Message 5 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: koen.van.tiel

3 *terrabyte* drive and you STILL don't have room?  Time for some long overdue housekeeping!  Check your temp folders for *all* software, clean those out.  Move your books, movies, music, pictures and other information you don't use on a day-to-day basis to an external hard drive or burn them to disc for archiving.  Uninstall software you aren't using.  Delete any BETA installers that are past their expiry date.  Kick the garbage can, scrape out anything older than a couple of months.  Run a malware checker to make sure you aren't getting bloated by downloaded garbage.  And don't forget to follow through on a regular basis, otherwise you'll end up in the same boat later on.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
koen.van.tiel

Oops, forgot te mention thats my 😧 drive. My C: is a 36gb SSD disk designated for Windows.

I might have found a way by creating a junction (using a file on C: thats works as a direct link to a file in my D:)

I Have also found a way to relocate inventor (2011) from my C: to my D:. Trouble is that i needs to be installed first. 

When i have it working i will make a guide on how to do both. 

Greethings

Koen.

PS: my thanks go out to the guys from Tweakers.nl

Message 7 of 7
waltertyler00
in reply to: JimStrenk

Hi Jim,

Very clever!!

I wanted to follow your logic and do this with my Revit 2014 and AutoCAD 2014 programs.

Are you entering into the C:Drive links for the various project files, part files, assembly files, FEA calculations and other related data or output files and creating your own in the D:Drive ? Or are you copying all the C:Drive documents over to the D:Drive? Or something else ?

Please reply with your methodlogy and process of which exact files your moving and how... thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report