Installation & Licensing

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 1 of 16 (7,213 Views)
Accepted Solution

Autodesk EULA and non Citrix Virtualization

7213 Views, 15 Replies
06-01-2011 01:10 AM

Recent question from a Customer, regarding EULA and running on non-Citrix virtualized environment

"What is the current situation regarding licensing of AutoDesk products on machines running Microsoft Remote Desktop Services?
I have heard of license agreements being changed to allow installation on Remote Desktop Services machines running Citrix XenApp, but I'm not sure whether a)this is the case and b)if so whether that would also apply to Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Servers without Citrix. If someone could clarify the situation, that would be great."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 2 of 16 (7,210 Views)

Re: Autodesk EULA and non Citrix Virtualization

06-01-2011 01:13 AM in reply to: hashim.mundol

Extract from AUTOCAD 2012 EULA

11.          Session Specific Network License.  If the License Identification identifies the License Type as a "Session Specific Network License", Licensee may install one (1) copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on a Computer and permit Access to such Licensed Materials from multiple Computers through a Supported Virtualization Application, on a Networked Basis, solely by Licensee's Personnel , solely for Licensee's Internal Business needs, only so long as the maximum number of concurrent Sessions does not exceed the Permitted Number or other limits imposed by the Autodesk License Manager tool (if any).  For purposes of this Session Specific Network License, (a) a “Session” is defined as a single interactive information exchange between two Computers that are connected through a Supported Virtualization Application, and (b) “Supported Virtualization Application(s)” are those third party virtualization applications or methods that are specifically identified as supported by Autodesk in the User Documentation for the Licensed Materials.  With respect to the applicable Supported Virtualization Application, Licensee agrees to activate any available session tracking mechanism, not disable any such session tracking mechanism and to retain all records generated by such session tracking mechanism.   A Session Specific Network License is for a perpetual term, except as otherwise provided in this Agreement.

*Currently  "Supported Virtualization Application" is Citrix XenApp, and limited to some  Autodesk Products only.

Hence any non supported Virtualization would be breach of EULA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 3 of 16 (7,048 Views)

06-30-2011 01:02 AM in reply to: hashim.mundol

There were some follow up questions on this about Education license or NFR (not for resale) license.

Answer is, this is applicable to all the license types. Special Session specific license (for the supported products) should be purchased to run on Citrix.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Giladams
Message 4 of 16 (6,818 Views)

10-28-2011 08:35 AM in reply to: hashim.mundol

I was wondering how do we get the Citrix Version of the Autodesk ready apps?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101

Autodesk’s Citrix-Ready™ certified products include:

• AutoCAD® 2012
  • AutoCAD® Architecture 2012
  • AutoCAD® MEP 2012
  • AutoCAD® Mechanical 2012
  • AutoCAD Raster Design 2012
  • AutoCAD® Revit® MEP Suite 2012
  • Revit® Architecture 2012
  • Revit® Structure 2012
  • Revit® MEP 2012
  • AutoCAD® Map 3D
  • AutoCAD® Map 3D Enterprise
  • Autodesk® Design Review 2012

I'm working with a customer who woul like to use Xen app and Autocad even if they had to be beta testers ..

Gil

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 5 of 16 (6,697 Views)

12-12-2011 06:47 AM in reply to: Giladams

Insllation/installer is the same as normal verions, its only the license file which makes it Citrix ready.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
yuliy.finkelsteyn
Message 6 of 16 (6,657 Views)

12-22-2011 06:03 AM in reply to: hashim.mundol

Hello Hashim,

we have Customer who wants to use Citrix Ready Products from Building Desing Suite (Revit,AutoCAD) in Citrix Environment.

How about this? Is it possible to become a valid Licensce File (Sesseion specific) for BDS for my Customer?

I have spoken with my Autodesk Contact Person from License Complicance and he said, that there are no Licence Problems on it but i doubt that Autodesk can make a valid Licensce file for BDS.

Thank You

Regards,

Yuliy

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 7 of 16 (6,656 Views)

12-22-2011 06:21 AM in reply to: yuliy.finkelsteyn

Normally no, CItrix specific license can only be for Individual supported products.

But

You can talk to you the sales person and find an alternative to create seperate license for individual products.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 8 of 16 (6,554 Views)

01-26-2012 03:06 PM in reply to: hashim.mundol

so what your saying is that it can be done for Revit Architecture Suite 2012?

Valued Contributor
David_Metcalf
Message 9 of 16 (5,408 Views)

11-01-2012 11:04 AM in reply to: DarrenP

Good Morning all,

Has there been any change to this restriction?

I did a cheack and some users are attempting to run no Cirix solutions, although badly.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/zh/winserverTS/thread/f69204e5-4ba3-42aa-be0c-618ae5f6dc7...

Please let us know any offial updates regarding this.

Thanks,

David

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 10 of 16 (5,404 Views)

11-01-2012 11:28 AM in reply to: David_Metcalf

i doubt it

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.