Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Client how to Change License Server

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
luis.ayala
40222 Views, 8 Replies

Autodesk Client how to Change License Server

I’m network admin of my company and we have Autodesk Products installed on more than 500 client’s workstation (mostly AutoCAD map 3d, AutoCAD Civil). So I’m in migration process of our actual license server, while I’ve successfully installed and activated the latest version of FLEXNLM on the new server, but I don’t know how to change the client Workstations configuration to use the new server.

So far, I’ve updated the new server name in the LICPATH.lic file that is stored in the installation folder of the client’s workstation. After that I’ve tested the AutoCAD 3D Map continue using the older license server. So it doesn’t work.

I’m sure this could be an easy task for somebody who work every day with AutoCAD, So could you please help me to comply this taskm without reinstalling the software?  And if possible, is there any automated way to change this configuration (GPO, scripts, anything.)

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: luis.ayala

First, verify that your NLM on the new server is configured and working.  You would have needed a new .LIC file if you changed servers.  Verify the status and that licenses are available. 

If the server is on an IPv6 enabled machine like Server 2008, Windows 7, or Vista and your clients are also of this IPv6 class, then there might be a connectivity issue.  Connecting via IPv4 will solve this. 

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Alternately, to change the clients to point to the new location, create a System Environment Variable at each client.  The variable name should be ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and the value should be @SERVERNAME where servername is the hostname of your server.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
court_schilt

Hello.  I am trying to change/add license servers with several Autodesk products.  I've tried changing the LIC file as well as adding the vairiable.  Neither change has made any difference.  It still comes up and pulls a license from the old server.  Any insight would be useful. Thank you.

Message 4 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: court_schilt

try editing this registry key on a problem machine

Hkey-current_user>software>flexlm license manager>ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE

add the @newserver name in the value data field

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
court_schilt

That key is in the registry.  I tried renaming it to see if it would impact the software.  When I renamed it it forced Autodesk to create a new key and then it worked with a new server.  When I put in a secondary server in the EV (the original server) it went to that server even though listed second and there are open licenses on the first server.  It's like it defaults to that server if listed.

Thoughts?

Message 6 of 9
DarrenP

what happens if you stop the license manager on that server?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
erik.jansen
in reply to: DarrenP

We have a customer that wants to transition to a new license server without stopping the old license server. Reasons are several time zones and users with very limited knowledge outside of the software itself.

Changing the registry keys and restarting did not result in assigning the new license server.

Is there another way tor assign the new server from a clients coomputer, without stopping the old license server?

Message 8 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: erik.jansen

You cannot run two license servers when moving the licenses to a new server.  That would be violating your license agreement.  To run two servers, you would need to run a distributive server setup and split the license files between two locations and use the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable on the clients to access them appropriately.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 9 of 9
mhalvorson

Just a follow up for anyone still needing help with this. I tried to change the value in the LICPATH.lic file with no effect, but when I renamed the registry key and then opened AutoCAD it forced AutoCAD to used the LICPATH.lic file. This seems to only see the new licence server.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report