Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk 360 to stop changing the user name

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
RevitVicar
1455 Views, 14 Replies

Autodesk 360 to stop changing the user name

My users have very specific user names and wish for Autodesk 360 to stop changing the user name when they log into Autodesk 360. Is there a way can Stop 360 from changing our user names? It is one thing to track the way the program is working but it is another thing when you change our computers setting. There should be a way for stopping this from happening.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Hello,

Thanks for posting your question. Can you tell us more details about what you are logging into with Autodesk 360? For example are you logging into the WEB Site?

http://360.autodesk.com

Share more details with us on what you are logging into and an example about what is changing. Once we get more details we can go from there.

Thanks again for posting to the forums.
Bud Schroeder
AutoCAD Customer Council Beta Programs
Autodesk Inc.

Autodesk Beta Programs!

Message 3 of 15

When my users are in Revit 2015 and they go to do a rendering they need to log into Autodesk 360 in the communications bar, When the user logs in it changes the user name in the options window for Revit. This is causing problems.

Message 4 of 15
Paul_Sanderson
in reply to: RevitVicar

We had a discussion on this exact topic over on RevitForums.  I'd recommend that you take a look at that thread first, and then post any additional comments or concerns here.

Cheers,

Kyle

Message 5 of 15
RevitVicar
in reply to: Paul_Sanderson

Paul I would just like this not to happen, I have systems already set up that use the current computers user name. I do not want it to change. I guess I am asking how do we stop this from happening. We do not as a firm want this changed. Chris
Message 6 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

Chris,

As noted in the linked forum discussion, signing into your Autodesk Identity within Revit aligns your worksharing identity to match your Autodesk identity.  This was done to enable a consistent identity of team members across all the activities they carry out in the Autodesk 360 ecosystem.  You have 3 options here:

1. Do not use Autodesk 360 services.  In this case you are free to use whatever worksharing identities you choose.
  2. Migrate your firm's practice to standardize on Autodesk Identities for worksharing rather than machine name.
  3. Always use Autodesk 360 services on detached models, and maintain your firm's existing practice.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 15
RevitVicar
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Kyle
1. This is not a great customer support answer.
2. The work involved in a firm changing the computer architecture to fit your product is quite a bit of work.
3. Forcing people to use your product is not a good approach
Message 8 of 15
KyleB_Autodesk

Chris,
Sorry this change frustrates you.  As noted previously, your firm is welcome to continue with your current practice for worksharing identities. Nobody is forcing you to utilize Autodesk 360 services.

A consistent identity across all activities by a user a very important part of an experience for the entire team, so everybody knows who is doing what within the project from renders, to model changes, to energy analyses. With our pending release of Project Skyscraper, extending that consistent identity to worksharing operations was necessary.  We understood at the time that there would be disruption to existing practices, and ultimately decided that the long-term future of constsent identities across activities was a greater overall benefit to the project team.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 15
dgorsman

Point (3) isn't supportable.  Consider that there are many different users of the product, all with their individual needs and procedures.  Changing the product to support your specific procedures will undoubtedly create the similar problems with at least as many if not more users.  So now there are many competing concepts fighting for dominance.  No matter which way AutoDesk leans they will disappoint at least some of their user base and in this particular instance it happens to be you.

The role of the software developer when creating a product for general sale is to attempt to find a good common ground that everybody can play in.  Many times this will involve everybody having to make a few changes in order to make use of the product.  With the software being offered as-is we don't have direct input to the development process - the best we can hope for is to make a supportable case which will benefit most of the users of the product.  The only other option is to do work-for-hire, that is hire a developer with a specific set of criteria that must be met.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 15
RevitVicar

Kyle, you just stated it for me a Consistent Identity, that is what my firm is trying to maintain. We do not only use Autodesk products there are many products and the constant is the windows username. I can see your argument about worksharing over the 360 cloud, I buy that. We only use your rendering right now and maybe some daylight analysis. I might be mistaken but these two tasks do not require workshare capabilities, they never did before. We have been collaborating workshare models through cloud technologies with other firms for a few years now and it works well and do not plan on changing it. We do like your Rendering over the cloud and some of your analysis tools.
Message 11 of 15
RevitVicar

Kyle and Dgorsman

Thank you for your help in understanding the system, sorry we could not have figured something out.

Chris
Message 12 of 15
RevitVicar

You can mark it as solved if you believe telling me not to use your product is an answer you should give to a customer, instead of looking deeply at the policy your have created and seeing who they really will effect. I have been reading post after post of customers out there having the same issue as I am not understanding why to render we need to change a whole office policy. This is starting to remind me of the old style Autodesk.

Understand your customers and the issue they are having.

Message 13 of 15

I understand the three advices that you gave us. What I would like to know is how to re set my system to match the computer name, as was before, in stead of the Autodes 360. Thanks

Message 14 of 15

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand the three advices that you gave us. What I would like to know is how to re set my system to match the computer name, as was before, in stead of the Autodes 360. Thanks

Signing out of Autodesk 360 from the Revit InfoCenter will return the Worksharing Username to a editable state, at which point you can change the Username back to whatever it was previously.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 15
HE-MJJ

If this is the answer I will be uninstalling AutDesk 360.

This changing of the Revit username is causing me to not use Autodesk 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report