Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk 2012 installer - issues

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
hans.martin.haga
232 Views, 1 Reply

Autodesk 2012 installer - issues

I have a few questions/issues regarding the new 2012 installer

1. Bloatware

1. I can somehow understand the wish to create a visually nice looking installer, but as I run a lot of my installations through remote sessions - the heavy use of graphics and visual effects is a problem. Configuring the installation or deployment could have been done in 1 minute, now I spend 5-10 minutes WASTING TIME.
  2. Just starting the installer is time consuming, as it spends time copying the nice graphics and GUI to the server/workstation performing the installation. Many customers run vmware-servers, they don't have USB ports or local storage - so the installation is run through a network connection.

2. Service packs

1. Why do we have to wait for the service packs to finish downloading? Why not put this into a separate thread?
  2. Why isn't it allowed to add hotfixes? This ruins the whole point of deployments, as the customers now have to manually install the MSP-files (which is usually ignored, creating additional work for support)
  3. If the wizard fails to connect to the download servers, it never retries. Have to restart from scratch.
  4. When creating x64 deployments from x86 servers/workstations, the service pack downloads but the wizard then fails to extract the MSP-file (as the EXE-file is 64 bit exectuable).
  5. Can Autodesk please also publish the extracted MSP-files to their support pages, instead of just the EXE-files (as x64 exe will not run on x86 servers).

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Thank you for your comments and suggestions, It would be best addressed in this form

you can extract the msp file using the /e parameter as described here.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autocad_2012_and_autocad_lt_2012_sp1_en.htm#NetworkAdminImage

which should take care of most your Service pack concerns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report