Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD versions supported by AutoCAD 2011 license server

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Anonymous
1483 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD versions supported by AutoCAD 2011 license server

If AutoCAD 2011 network license server is set up at our office, will it still support workstation that has AutoCAD 2006 installed ? If not, how many versions will it support ?
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
GunnarN
in reply to: Anonymous

Network license files support current version and 3 versions back.

A network license file for v2001 will support v2011 down to v2008.

It wont support v2006 I'm afraid.
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks for your info.
Message 4 of 19
TravisNave

Technically the information you received is not correct.
The updated license manager will continue to run your AutoCAD 2006 license file just fine. Whether or not you can still legally run your 2006 license is another matter. If this license has already been upgraded to a new version and is not under Subscription, you will not be able to run your license according to the license agreement. If your license is under Subscription, you can run up to three versions back. However, exceptions can be made for legacy products that are retired.
Ultimately though, you can update to the latest NLM and continue to run your AutoCAD 2006 license file without issues. My recommendation is not not run more licenses than you currently own to stay withing the license agreement.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Thank you for your info.
Message 6 of 19
GunnarN

Technically the information was correct, the answer was about the license file, not the license server.

I answered the wrong question. 😉

As to if you can run Autocad 2006 license file, what happens if the old file is a 2009-2006 package file and it is merged with a 2011-2008 package file?
Message 7 of 19
TravisNave

True, a new 2011 Package license will supersede an old 2009 package file. Therefore, 2006 would not run. However, if there was a single 2006 Increment license file that was not part of a 2009 Package license, it would run in addition to a 2011 license file.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous

What is a single 2006 Increment license file ? My situation is that I need to install a Network License Manager for the AutoCAD 2011 downloaded recently to a new License server in our local office( OS:Windows Server 2003 SP2). We were running AutoCAD 2006 on our workstations which grab the network license from our Corporate license server before. We want to still run AutoCAD 2006 for the time being and be able to grab the license from the local office. We will upgrade our workstations to a higher version of AutoCAD later.
Message 9 of 19
TravisNave

Basically there are two ways you could have an existing 2006 license file. You either have the original license file created for the 2006 product or you have a Subscription to the product and are running a 2009 license file that allows you to continue to run your 2006 product. Since you are moving your license server from corporate to your local office, you might find it difficult to obtain a new license file for your 2006 product depending on the situation because 2006 has been retired.
If your 2006 has never been upgraded, then you can probably receive a new license file. However, if it has been upgraded and is not under Subscription, you won't be able to.
If your 2006 license has been upgraded and is under Subscription, you will need to ask Autodesk for permission to run a legacy license for a retired prior product. Or you can ask that they generate you a Subscription Package license file for 2009. However, if you are under Subscription and when you are ready to update to 2011, you will no longer be able to use your 2006 licenses in this fashion because the 2011 license file will supersede your older file.
What you need to determine is if your 2006 license has been upgraded and if that contract is currently under Subscription. This will help determine your best course of action. In the mean-time, you can create a local server and run 2011 products while your 2006 clients remain pointed to your corporate license manager.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks TravisNave,
I installed Network License Manager using the AutoCAD 2011 on the new license server, it was installed successfully.I then tried installing the Network License Activation Utility, but under the Select the Products to Install Page, there is no Autodesk Network License Activation utility. How do I obtain the license file then ?
Thanks.
Message 11 of 19
TravisNave

You can call Autodesk Activations at 1-800-551-1490 or try http://register.autodesk.com

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous

Thanks TravisNave. I have obtained the license file from Autodesk and completed installation of the network license manager.
I have hopefully one more question. I need to modify the licpath.lic to point to the new server. What information shall be put in this file ?

Thanks.
Message 13 of 19
TravisNave

Simply modify it to contain the servername and MAC address. You can also forego this and create a System Environment Variable called ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with the value of @SERVERNAME <-- where this is the hostname of your server, obviously.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous

Thank you so much, TravisNave. You have been a great help. I tried and indeed it supports AutoCAD 2009, but not AutoCAD 2006.
Best regards.
Message 15 of 19
TravisNave

Glad you are up and running. If you need your 2006 licenses, I am sure something can be worked out. I still run my 2006 licenses on my 2011 license manager. Good luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous

May I ask you tomorrow for the something that will make 2006 runs ?
Message 17 of 19
TravisNave

Certainly! You simply need a 2006 license file or you need a 2009 Subscription license file. The 2009 Subscription file will not work if you are running a Subscription file for 2010 or 2011. But adding a single licnese file of 2006 will work. If you do not already have one for this exact server, you may have trouble getting one. It's not impossible though.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous

Hello TravisNave,
I do not have a 2006 license file for this new license server. The only license file installed on this server is the one I received yesterday from Autodesk (2011). You mentioned I may have trouble getting one but it is not impossible. How do I get this such that I can still run AutoCAD 2006 in some situations ? Contact Autodesk ?
Thanks.
Message 19 of 19
TravisNave

Yes. I would contact them and ask what their restrictions are with you running a 2006 license under Subscription. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report