Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 installs but 2013 won't.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pmiles2
1896 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 installs but 2013 won't.

Okay, I am a student and need to run the same version of the software that we are using at school.  I have downloaded and successfully installed AutoCAD 2012, AutoCAD 2013, and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012.

I keep getting a 1603 error during the installation process (phase 2 of 4).

I've tried running the installer as Admin, with and without AntiVirus software enabled, cleared the TEMP folder, rebooted, uninstalling AutoCAD Mechanical 2012.  Still always fails with the exact same log entry.  See attached.

I have no idea why I can install just about every other software under the blue moon without issue, but AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 fails.  What is in the installer that is NOT in any of the other Autodesk products?

I have 3DS MAX 9, AutoCAD 2013, SolidWorks 2012-13 all on my system (all 64-bit versions)... it's completely capable of running this software.  I have well over 800GBs of free disk space to work with.  Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with all recent updates/service packs.

How do I get this software installed? Or who can I contact about resolving this issue ASAP?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
aaronhai
in reply to: pmiles2

Hi pmiles2,

Some suggesitions below:

- Delete all files in : C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp

- Ensure full control/permission/security settings to the folder : C:\ProgramData\Autodesk 

- Disable User Access Control (UAC) in Windows or set it to Never Notify (requires a reboot)

- May want to re-download the installation file using other downloading means.

- Refer to this forum thread

Thank you.

Aaron Hai
Message 3 of 12
pmiles2

I've only tried clearing the %TEMP% folder (it's the only your website mentioned to clear).  I'll try the other one tonight.

Shouldn't "Run as Administrator" give me full permissions?  I'll see about the path in question tonight.

UAC has always been off.  I'm the only one using the machine.

I've already downloaded the file via a variety of methods, tried the Trial version, tried "Download Now", and "Browser" methods.  All with the same results.  Howcome "Install Now" isn't offered?

Seems to me it's a hit or miss affair with the installers based on that thread.  I mean, if I can install AutoCAD 2012, AutoCAD 2013, and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 without having to jump through any hoops, why all of a sudden is AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 refusing to install?  I highly doubt there was a major paradigm shift in programming between any of those programs, and yet, one app fails to install when others don't.  I'm willing to wager that if the installers for all of these apps are the same, then it was shear luck that the other apps installed at all.  I could have just as easily been talking about AutoCAD 2013 right now instead of AutoCAD Mechanical 2013... with the later having installed and the former refusing to.  That's the part that seems hard to fathom.

Message 4 of 12
pmiles2

Installation still fails with error code 1603.

Deleted files in: C:\Users\pmiles\AppData\Local\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp.

Security permissions for SYSTEM, Administrators, Users, TrustedInstaller all set to full control.  It won't change the settings for CREATOR OWNER.

UAC control has always been off, verified that it was off anyways.

Have already downloaded by all the means offered for AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.

Thread listed keeps pointing to Microsoft Visual Basic C++ issues... installation log says nothing about that component, thus I am not tinkering with that installation.

What now?

Message 5 of 12
s12001928

Hi,

I'm in the same position, I have installed AutoCAD 2013 successfully but get the same error code 1603 when trying to install AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.

This must be a common issue.

What do you suggest?

Many thanks.

Message 6 of 12
aaronhai
in reply to: s12001928

Hi,

Please see if you have this same issue with different Microsoft Visual C++ version described in this blog post.

Thanks.

Aaron Hai
Message 7 of 12
pmiles2

Okay from that blog, you are saying that installer will not install AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 64-bit if this version of the following software is already running on your system:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

And that AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 64-bit will run on a system that has the above version of the software running on the system.

As I understand it, all systems run with multiple versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable because developers write to certain versions of it, thus removing any of them, results in problems with those applications that use it.

So the *fix* is to remove the version that this installer hates, install the application, then go back and reinstall the version that it hated so that your other applications continue to run.  The system restore point is our backup point in case the system implodes with your version of the redistributable.  How will we get the version that we removed back on our system?  Will software update do it?  I'm guessing some application were running requires it.

Message 8 of 12
s12001928
in reply to: aaronhai

Hi,

I remove all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ as suggested, turned off my anti virus whilst before I tried the installation again.  

It loaded the version of Microsoft Visual C++ to and got to 2 of 8 and again a shortcut appeared on the screen the it disappered and then failed.

Please see the log report attached, do you have any other suggests or reasons why it won't install?

Cheers

Message 9 of 12
pmiles2
in reply to: s12001928

Okay after doing a lot of reading up on error code 1603, I've discovered that it is a vague error code in that all it means is that something failed to install.  In other words, unless it returns a message stating specifically what component failed to install, you cannot just assume it means, say for example, Microsoft Visual C++ is the issue, just because other people had issues with that particular part of the install process. Their installation logs actually pointed to the culprit (Microsoft Visual C++) in conjunction with the 1603 error code.  Unless yours specifically states what the culprit is, don't do go around haphazardly uninstalling files.

My setup log returns a vague 1603 error code in that it doesn't point to any culprits.  Doing a verbose mode on the installation yeilded little to help explain the failure.  I am no coder so I don't really know what I am looking for.  All I did was search for "1603" and what i came up with was the same vague message from the setup log and a reference to NgenCreate and MainEngineThread:

Entrypoint: NgenCreate CustomAction NgenCreate returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Entrypoint: NgenDelete CustomAction NgenCreateRollback returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

MSI (s) (BC:20) [07:32:52:404]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 - English. Product Version: 17.0.48.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Autodesk. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (BC:20) [07:32:52:560]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

MSI (c) (6C:70) [07:32:52:560]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

I am attaching the verbose log and installation log.  The setup log was attached at the beginning of this thread.  Maybe your coders can see what's the deal in the logs... it's all greek to me.  Again, I did not touch the C++ redistributable files because no such error pointed to them.  The blog you pointed me to, specifically had an error message pointing to it.  I don't.  Thus I am not messing with it.  Error 1603 can mean anything.  I'm trying to figure out what it means in regards to my installation.

EDIT: Install log too big to attach.  From what I can tell, the verbose log is identical, just broken out into separate files.  I can email the install log if necessary (zipped it's ~2MB).

Message 10 of 12
david.lau

If you have AutoCAD 2013 installed, I would uninstall the update before installing AutoCAD Mechanical 2013....

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/10/error-ngenexe-and-installing-any-autocad-product....

David Lau
Message 11 of 12
pmiles2

What update are you refering to?  In my Add/Remove programs, it just says AutoCAD 2013.

Message 12 of 12
s12001928

Hi,

Thank you for your advice, I followed the link and uninstalled the SP for AutoCAD 2013 and AutoCAD Mechanical has now installed successfully.

Many thanks for your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report