Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD LT Standalone Licensing

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
bl2707
7353 Views, 21 Replies

AutoCAD LT Standalone Licensing

Can you install an AutoCAD LT StandAlone license on a single computer and have several users (logins) access it since only one user will be accessing it at a time?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
bl2707
in reply to: bl2707

Hello?  Anybody there? 

Message 3 of 22
TravisNave

According to the license agreement... no.  Although, I don't know how you would technically make it possible to license two copies of AutoCAD on one PC.  Thefore, I guess to stay compliant, you'd have to at least own the one stand-alone license for each person.  Or upgrade to full AutoCAD and use a single network license. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 22
bl2707
in reply to: TravisNave

If you work for Autodesk, Thank you.  If you don't, I'm sorry but I need an official answer from their licensing dept.  Do you work for them?

Message 5 of 22
TravisNave

The license agreement says specifically that you can install one copy on one computer for one individual.  It does not provide licensing for additional users.  If your worry is to stay compliant, you would need to purchase additional licenses or upgrade to a network seat of AutoCAD.  Otherwise, it would be my understanding that installing one copy of AutoCAD for multiple user access would violate the EULA pertaining to hosting and time-sharing.  These actions are not prohibited by the network license however.  Autodesk is very clear that a stand-alone version is an individual version. 

2.2.1     Stand-alone (Individual) Version.  If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Stand-alone Version” or as an “Individual Version” or if the User Documentation does not identify the Software by any of the version designations set forth in Sections 2.2.2 (Multiseat Stand-alone) through 2.2.6 (Evaluation Version), You may Install and Access one (1) copy of the Software on one (1) individual Computer, solely for Your internal business needs. You may not allow the Software to be Accessed, operated, or viewed from, or Installed or uploaded to, other Computers through a network connection.  Except as otherwise explicitly permitted by Autodesk, You may not Install or Access the Software other than on one (1) Computer at a time.

9.6        Audits.  To ensure compliance with this Agreement, You agree that upon reasonable notice, Autodesk or Autodesk’s authorized representative shall have the right to inspect and audit Your Installation, Access, and use of the Autodesk Materials.  Any such inspection or audit shall be conducted during regular business hours at Your facilities or electronically, either by Autodesk or by representatives authorized by Autodesk for this purpose.  If such inspections or audits disclose that You have Installed, Accessed, or permitted Access to the Autodesk Materials in a manner that is not permitted under this Agreement, then (i) You are liable to pay for any unpaid license fees as well as the reasonable costs of the audit; and (ii) without limitation of Section 2.1 (License Grant), and unless Autodesk otherwise elects in writing, the license grant with respect to the Software will terminate immediately.  Any information obtained by Autodesk or Autodesk’s authorized representative during the course of such inspection and audit will be used and disclosed by Autodesk solely for purposes of such inspection and audit and for enforcement of Autodesk’s rights under this Agreement and applicable law, unless other uses or disclosures are required under applicable law.  Nothing in this Section shall be deemed to limit any legal or equitable remedies available to Autodesk for violation of this Agreement or applicable law.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 22
bl2707

I'm sorry, but I disagree that it is clear.  They specifically state that the individual standalone version applies to one computer only and that is it viewable on that computer only.  You can not TS into a computer on a network for use.  Understood.  But it doesn't say that the computer where it is installed has to be used by only one person, just one seat.  At any given moment the computer would be used by a single user. "You may Install and Access one (1) copy of the Software on one (1) individual Computer, solely for Your internal business needs."  If the license owner is a company, it seems to me that that gives access to the employees of that company.  That's why I'm asking.

Message 7 of 22
TravisNave

Yes, but the EULA is clear that you are you.  You are not the person that works next to you or the person that works the next shift as you.  The EULA is also clear that this type of use and installation is only available to the network version, which is why they explicitly state it there (...The Software may be Installed on or Accessed by other Computers, or on an individual Computer, "as a multiple-user installation", so long as the maximum number of concurrent users does not exceed the Permitted Number.)  Whereas the stand-alone version is clearly described as an "Individual version." 

The problem is that to be compliant with the setup that you are asking about, you need a network license... which is not available to LT users.  Therefore, you would need to purchase a single network seat license of full AutoCAD to meet your needs.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 22
bl2707

Still disagree.   Individual version to me still means one computer and not necessarily one user.  Is there someone from Autodesk that can answer my original question?

Message 9 of 22
TravisNave

It's not a matter of disagreement, rather a matter of definition. 

Here is how Autodesk describes a stand-alone license on their website. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4793581

i.e. Stand-alone licenses are called "node-locked" licenses, because each license is bound to a *single user* and computer.

Only the network version provides specifically for sharing. 

i.e. Network licenses are called "floating licenses," because they are not tied to a particular workstation or user.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 22
tstoeckel

Since it seems like this scenario is not clearly defined in the EULA, I ran it by someone in the Autodesk License Compliance department and recieved the following response:

"As long as the software is installed on only one computer, and access is limited to one person at a time, yes, this is permitted."

Tom Stoeckel
Technical Lead, AutoCAD Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 22
TravisNave
in reply to: tstoeckel

This conflicts with the wording of the EULA and the license type description on the Autodesk website in the links that I provided. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 22
bl2707

I don't believe it does.  Other software is licensed to a "named user"  which allows you to install it anywhere but only the named user can use it.  The autodesk licensing is per computer, but they allow a 2nd install for a named user on a laptop or home computer.  This makes it so you don't have to purchase a 2nd license for the other device.

Message 13 of 22
TravisNave

That is correct, because the license is for that same one single user.  The license is per user and per machine with the exception of a second activation for another machine for that same user.  Nothing in the EULA states that another person can use that stand-alone license.  That option is reserved for the network version... to which is specifically states. 

I see absolutely no ambiguity in the EULA regarding the following information:

The definition of YOU:  

1.12      “You” means you personally...

The definition of stand-alone specifying license type as an individual:

2.2.1     Stand-alone (Individual) Version.  If Autodesk identifies the Software as a “Stand-alone Version” or as an “Individual Version”...

The network version specifying multiple-user per machine:

2.2.3     Network Version. ...The Software may be Installed on or Accessed by other Computers, or on an individual Computer, as a multiple-user installation...

As well as no ambiguity from the Autodesk website:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=4793581

Stand-alone licenses are called "node-locked" licenses, because each license is bound to a single user and computer. For some Autodesk products, you can install a second copy of a stand-alone product for non-concurrent use by a single user.

In all of these hard examples, Autodesk recognizes that a stand-alone license can be used by a single user on a single computer (with the exception of that single user's away from work activation.)  Again, they only demonstrate that sharing of a single license between multiple users is a function of the network license as specifically written in the EULA. 

The fallacy is that just because the EULA doesn't specifically state that the stand-alone license doesn't prohibit more than one user per license, that such an activity is allowed.  However, I refute that with the wording that the stand-alone license is already clearly described as an individual license and that such multi-user access is described further as part of the network license type. 

To argue that the proof is not that which is written but rather what is not written would therefore give no boundaries to the EULA and thus I could state in a related post that I should be able to activate a network license on a client machine because there is nothing that prohibits me from doing so in the EULA.  Such a conclusion is equally absurd because I could point out examples elsewhere in the EULA where this is clearly defined.  However, since it is not specifically outlined in that section, then I should be able to do so?  I think not. 

This is simply my interpretation of the EULA. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 22
adalta

I know this is an old thread but I need clarification on this issue recently.  Autodesk confirmed I can install one license on one computer (physical or virtual) and have different users use the program throughout the day with the one unique user at a time.  

For example we have several interns use AutoCAD LT and during the day, intern1 uses it 8-10, intern2 10-12, intern3 13-15, intern2 15-17.  Only one license was needed.

Message 15 of 22
TravisNave

I have had multiple phone conversations with Autodesk legal on this and although I continue to stress the strict wording of the EULA, Autodesk apparently believes that your scenario is acceptable. I disagree, but at this time it appears to be valid.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 16 of 22
barry

Hi 

could you inform me if you managed to get a work around for this because I have someone that is trying to do the same thing. They wish to have a computer where anyone in the office could go to the computer and log in to use LT. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Message 17 of 22
TravisNave
in reply to: barry

Barry, welcome to the Autodesk peer support forum!

The way I understand it, Autodesk now allows a single computer to be shared by multiple users so long as only one user at a time is using it.  Therefore, the conversation above is moot. 

The new license agreement has removed the wording for one computer, one person and instead says one computer and the licensee's personnel.

1. Stand-alone (Individual) License. If the License Identification identifies the License Type as a “Stand-alone License” or as an “Individual License," Licensee may Install a single primary copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on one (1) Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis, and permit Access to such primary copy of the Licensed Materials solely by Licensee’s Personnel, and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs. Licensee may also Install a single additional copy of such Licensed Materials on one (1) additional Computer, on a Stand-alone Basis; provided that (i) such additional copy of the Licensed Materials is Accessed solely by the same person as the primary copy; (ii) such person is Licensee (if Licensee is an individual) or an employee of Licensee; (iii) such person Accesses the additional copy solely to perform work while away from that person’s usual work location and solely for Licensee’s Internal Business Needs; and (iv) the primary and additional copies are not Accessed at the same time. Stand-alone (Individual) License is for a perpetual term, except as otherwise provided in this Agreement. 

So you are good to go.

Thanks!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 18 of 22
barry

The person that is trying this was using 2013 but is now upgrading. Do you know how this works or how the install must be done to allow other users to log in and use the software?

Thanks

Barry McCartan
Message 19 of 22
TravisNave

Once installed and activated, any user who has login access to the machine can use the software. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 22
adalta

I believe the way we set it up was the computer was configured for Remote
Desktop so anyone in the office could log into that computer remotely from
their local computer and use the software via RDP.

Someone could also sit at the desk and log in to use the computer/software.

Either would work but you could not do it simultaneously (only one login at
any one time).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report