Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2012 will not install

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
HUBstudio
755 Views, 15 Replies

Autocad LT 2012 will not install

Good day,

I have recently received a link to download and reinstall Autocad LT 2012 from Autodesk Customer Service. I have spent a good deal of time trying to install it unsuccessfully. I have Windows 7 32 bit. After a few times of trying to install I found some detailed instructions on preparing your computer for a reinstall. I have uninstalled all Autodesk products from my computer using Windows uninstall procedures. I have deleted the remaining Autodesk files and folders including C;\Program Files\Autocad etc... as well as C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared. I have also removed %username%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk and AppData\Local\Autodesk from two user profiles. I then deleted the registry Files HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\Software\Autodesk and then rebooted. All according to the instructions on the website.

I've deleted the contents (as many as would delete) in the TEMP folder (again for two profiles), closed all running apps, disabled my virus protection but left firewall on and downloaded the software. I saved the download and then ran it. Everything, I think, went to C:\Autodesk, where it should've as it unpacked. The install started and I answered all the questions and such. It installed the .NET Runtime Framework 4.0. I can find fresh installs on my updates history. But as soon as that was done the computer shuts down, I get a Windows message about how things are configuring and to not unplug my computer and it restarts. It does a little more Windows computer configuring and stops. I expected, if the restart was normal and required, that the install would pick up again where it left off, but nothing. Nothing got installed except the .NET Framework stuff. It won't install any of the Autocad portion of the software.

Help?

Thanks,

Robert

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: HUBstudio

I ran updates prior to install per the instructions posted on the website. The .NET update is fresh, apparently from the download and attempted re- install as the dates of the updates are all today. I ran C Cleaner prior to install, mainly to empty my TEMP files, but I don't know what it might have done with any registry cleaning. As I noted, I did remove the HKEY files under \software\autodesk to get rid of the previous CAD installation. Nothing has changed on the system unless there was an incompatible auto update somewhere. CAD ran fine last week. Yes, Norton Ghost 15.0. Hub_color logo 2928 e avalon dr phoenix az 85016 (602) 955-1187

What you have described as having done is correct.

Do you have remnants of CAD since trying to reinstall? If so go thru the uninstall preocedures again.

.NET Clean-up tool: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool-for-Unhandled-Except...

Or uninstall the .NET as well.

CCleaner has a better uninstall tool than MS

REVO UNINSTALLER (the free version) is even better, use its most aggressive setting.

Rolling back the OS thru System Restore to 10+ days ago may be all you need.

.NET updates seem to hose me more often than not. Might be that an update from last week is what has your system down.

Message 3 of 16
HUBstudio
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thank you Charles for the response. I can't find any leftover CAD after the install attempt. That being said, let me throw a possible wrench in the works. I was working with a very old version of CAD in XP on my old computer. When I transferred over to this Win 7 comp, I installed Virtual PC and ran the old CAD off that in XP Mode. I thought I had uninstalled it, but  came across it in my start screen programs list although I can't find it anywhere else to uninstall it (Virtual PC or the CAD program). See attachment. I just used CCleaner to analyze my registry and I find my ancient Autodesk in there. I don't really know how to get to it to delete it.

Message 4 of 16
TravisNave

Post your installation log file from your %TEMP% folder.  It might shed some light on what is going on.  I doubt the old CAD from your VM is going to affect your new 2012 LT install.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 16
HUBstudio
in reply to: TravisNave

Good Morning. I uninstalled .NET and got a bit further than before. The install screen went to the finish but reported that some products had not been installed. Namely Autocad LT 2012! Here is the log that came with it.

Message 6 of 16
TravisNave

Are you sure?  That log file has a date stamp for yesterday. 

In any case, this install log shows .NET still failing to install.

Your product is failing to install because the prerequiste program required by the installer is newer than the version being installed. Please uninstall the prerequisite program causing the issue and run your installer again.

For more information about this process, please see my KB link here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Some-Products-Fail-to-Install-Result-1603/td-p/...

.NET Framework issues can be resolved using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool. More information about this tool can be found at my discussion thread here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool-for-Unhandled-Except...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 16
HUBstudio

I checked the install log and to be honest, I couldn't determine which program was causing the install failure.So I uninstalled any C++ that had a date in 2012. I also ran the .NET Cleanup Tool. Closed everything down, rebooted and ran the installer again. This time I saw C++ installing first, then came .NET Framework and then it shut down again and rebooted. I did not make it to the finish window that says some products did not install. See log attached, date stamp today. In frustration I decided to system restore according to Charles' suggestion. I was only able to go back to 5/29 at 11:00 am or so. I then found that I had the same problem that started all of this. Click on a DWG file and Autocad looked like it was loading but would just blink off, vanish, before it would load.

Message 8 of 16
TravisNave

Your .NET Framework is still failing to install.  You will need to use the .NET Cleanup to remove all instances of .NET from the computer.  Then you need to reboot.  Run the installer again. 

If that still fails, then you need to install .NET Framework 4.0 manually from Microsoft.com and then modify the setup.ini file for the Autodesk product to remove the prerequisite check for .NET Framework.  If we get to that point, I can point you towards some instructions for that.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 16
HUBstudio

I ran the .NET Cleaner again, rebooted, then tried to install, but of course there was an old install on my machine because I rolled it back to 5/29/12. I uninstalled that and ran the NET Clenaer again to be sure. Rebooted, ran installer, got to finish with some products did not install. See attached log pleas. BTW thank you for sticking with me on this.

Message 10 of 16
HUBstudio

I just received 5 Security Updates and 3 Updates for .NET Framework. I assume I should NOT install them until we've figured out the CAD problem, right? Hub_color logo 2928 e avalon dr phoenix az 85016 (602) 955-1187
Message 11 of 16
TravisNave

If you're still receiving Windows Updates for .NET Framework, then you probably haven't removed them from your machine.  The log file still says failure on .NET Framework 4.0.  Make sure there are absolutely no references to that in your Control Panel > Programs.  It needs to be wiped out before you try to install it again.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 16
HUBstudio

OK, so here is today's attempt: Fully deleted CAD since I had a system restore go back to 5/29. Also deleted the Install download C:\Autodesk. Ran .NET Cleanup Tool Checked the programs after and no NET Restarted Double checked for .NET, nothing Turned off virus protection Re-downloaded the install files from Autodesk. Ran the install. Install screen shows .NET Framework Runtime 4.0, 7 of 8 remaining. Got to Install Complete, CAD failed to load. Printed the install log. See attached. Hit finish on install screen. Went to programs and found that both .NET Client Profile and Extended had been installed with a date matching today's install. So I now have .NET on my machine, but still no CAD Hub_color logo 2928 e avalon dr phoenix az 85016 (602) 955-1187
Message 13 of 16
HUBstudio

Forgot log

Message 14 of 16
TravisNave

Your only other recourse would be to install the .NET Framework manually from Microsoft and then modify your setup.ini file in your Autodesk installer to remove the prerequiste check and subsequent install for the product.  The follow up on my link includes the information on how to facilitate this.  Just scroll down to the response message.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Some-Products-Fail-to-Install-Result-1603/td-p/...

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 16
HUBstudio

I ran the .NET Cleaner to remove the .NET Framework Client and Extended that got put there by the CAD installer. I edited the Setup.ini text per your directions. I installed .NET Framework Client Profile from the Microsoft website. I couldn't find the .NET Framework Extended anywhere, so it is not installed. That might be an anomoly. I rebooted and ran the installer. It looked like everything was installing. I got an error message that said that English could not be installed because .NET Framework was not there. I clicked OK and it went on installing other components. Got to the finish line and it was the same thing. Autocad LT did not install. I looked at and printed the log. Seems to be a C++ deal now. I saw during installation that C++ was installing (did it, didn't it??dunno). Anyway, here is the latest install log.

Message 16 of 16
TravisNave

You have major prerequisite problems.  Uninstall your C++ redistributables and try again.  If that fails, install it manually and remove it from the setup.ini.  At some point you might consider reinstalling your OS.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report