Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad is already installed

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ksddllc
5262 Views, 6 Replies

autocad is already installed

I am trying to use the trial version of autocad to decide if my company wants to buy it or not. I downloaded the software and had trouble installing it. (the first time it wouldnt install at all so I deleted and downloaded again, the second time it installed fine but when I tried to run autocad it would try to run the setup program again)

I finally decided to just order a copy of the trial CDs and wait for them to arrive. They came yesterday, but I am unable to install autocad because the setup program thinks it is already installed.

I found the page that explains how to delete all autocad files from your computer and followed it, including going into the registry, however the folder under C:Program Files/Common Files/....... will not let me delete it because it says it is being used in windows explorer.

I am running windows 7, please help!

Thanks,
-Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: ksddllc

Download a copy of the Microsoft Installer Clean-up Utility here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Locate the offending AutoCAD program in the list and delete it. Then make sure you also remove the AutoCAD folder that was installed under your C:\Program Files folder. Reboot and attempt to reinstall.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
ksddllc

thanks for the help, this allowed me to finally try to install autocad from the disk. It installed about 20% before Error 1402. Could not open the key: UNKNOWN\Components\.............. verify you have sufficient access to that key or contact your support personnel.

More help would be very appreciated.
Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

You are going to be in somewhat bad shape on this issue. You will most likely need your IT support to assist. You will have to change the permissions to the following registry key in regedit:

HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Installer > UserData > S-1-5-18 > Components

You need to change the permissions of components so that the 'everyone' user has full control and effective permission and that it is replaced on the child objects below it. It may take multiple attempts and changing the ownership to the Administrators group, but your IT should be able to help. Alternately, you will have to fix each key with this problem, which can amount to dozens. This is a tedious problem to fix, but it can be done. I wish you luck on this one.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
mmelechinsky

Yes, I know this thread is an old one but for those of you that come across it in a search for an answer to your problem please be aware that the uninstaller that is referenced was discontinued by Microsoft and a "troubleshooter" was substituted.

Message 6 of 7
mmelechinsky
in reply to: mmelechinsky

I should have said "cleanup utility" not uninstaller.  My bad.

Message 7 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: mmelechinsky

To Diagnose and Fix installation problems automatically, please see the new Microsoft tool for this here:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

For more information on the Autodesk KB Support article concerning the clean uninstall of Autodesk products, see this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

For all other installation problems on Windows XP SP2 or below consider using the Microsoft Installer Clean Up Utility. For more information on this program, please my forum post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Microsoft-Installer-Clean-Up-Utility-for-Add-Re...

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report