Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

patrick.maas
Message 1 of 4 (207 Views)
Accepted Solution

Autocad and Navisworks on one machine but must get licenses on different servers

207 Views, 3 Replies
02-07-2013 07:40 AM

I would like to use AutoCad and Navisworks on one machine, but each program has to get its license from a different server, but this does not happen, both applications go to the same server.

Although, on installing, I did specify which server each application has to use to obtain a license.

Also, in the Program Files/AutoDesk/Autocad and Program Files/AutoDesk/Navisworks , the LICPATH.LIC files are there, with the correct servername...

Another issue is to make 2 Navisworks installed on one machine, use a different server to obtain their licenses, for people who work for different departments.

Any ideas ?

Patrick

Why on earth are you running two servers for multiple Autodesk products?  It's no wonder you are having problems.  If you are unable to combine the license servers into one system for some crazy reason, then you might try adding both servernames to the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8385605&linkID=9240617

I definitely recommend reconciling your license managers into one location though.  You can separate licenses by department with an Options file.  Everything you could ever want to know about this is listed in my signature.

Hi Patrick,

As Travis explained in the above reply, you can 'RESERVE' licenses to a certain user or group by configuring a license option file, ADSKFLEX.OPT. You can also check License Administration Guide in LMTOOLS installation folder or technical solution:

How to control network license access using an options file (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7459915&linkID=9240617).

So, in this case, you can reserve 2 licenses for that department (defined GROUP) and no one outside the group will not be able to take those 2 licenses.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 4 (202 Views)

Re: Autocad and Navisworks on one machine but must get licenses on different ser

02-07-2013 09:31 AM in reply to: patrick.maas

Why on earth are you running two servers for multiple Autodesk products?  It's no wonder you are having problems.  If you are unable to combine the license servers into one system for some crazy reason, then you might try adding both servernames to the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8385605&linkID=9240617

I definitely recommend reconciling your license managers into one location though.  You can separate licenses by department with an Options file.  Everything you could ever want to know about this is listed in my signature.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
patrick.maas
Message 3 of 4 (190 Views)

Re: Autocad and Navisworks on one machine but must get licenses on different ser

02-07-2013 10:32 PM in reply to: patrick.maas

It was not exactly my idea, I have two people that specifically want to use 2 licenses for their own department, and when they work for another project, they want to the licenses bought for that project....not wanting anybody else to thouch their own two licenses...politics, I guess..

Thanks for the advice

Product Support
inchul.lee
Message 4 of 4 (171 Views)

02-11-2013 06:58 PM in reply to: patrick.maas

Hi Patrick,

As Travis explained in the above reply, you can 'RESERVE' licenses to a certain user or group by configuring a license option file, ADSKFLEX.OPT. You can also check License Administration Guide in LMTOOLS installation folder or technical solution:

How to control network license access using an options file (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7459915&linkID=9240617).

So, in this case, you can reserve 2 licenses for that department (defined GROUP) and no one outside the group will not be able to take those 2 licenses.

Inchul Lee
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.