Installation & Licensing

Installation & Licensing

eric.a.bogenschutz
Message 1 of 36 (12,641 Views)
Accepted Solution

AutoCAD 2015 Unable to start 0xc0000142

12641 Views, 35 Replies
03-27-2014 10:50 AM

Brand New fresh install of AutoCAD 2015 and it won't open. Returns the following message: The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).

Tried to install it on 3 various machines, all Windows 7, all 3 have the exact same message. Thus it's not computer related, it's either something with the build or a conflict with other software that is on all 3 of my PC's. (I.E. it's a pretty common software that it's conflicting with)

Dissappointing wanting to kick the tires on a new release and it won't even open! It's usually Christmas time for us Autodesk users, I just opened a present and found a lump of coal! :smileyhappy:

Eric Bogenschutz

Hi,

I had the same problem just now and tried also close to everything with antivirus, firewall, uninstall (as clean as possible, including guided registry cleaning), trying different options for installation like just AutoCAD without any things like Exchange, 360, Content Service ... or on the other hand install as default.

After a couple of hours I got it running:

• uninstall AutoCAD (clean uninstall)
  • uninstall Adobe Acrobat (release 9)
  • reinstall AutoCAD (without any individual settings)

Some years ago there was a similar problem with 3D-Capturing within Adobe Acrobat. That remembering + looking into process-explorer (from Sysinternals) made me wondering, why ACAD.EXE looks to some Adobe registry content and file content. Well, uninstalling it made it for me, and I have not yet tried to reinstall Acrobat (I guess I will not do it as I don't need it).

HTH, - alfred -

Just an update, David.Lau posted this as a means to help narrow down the problem on each specific machine:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/03/autocad-2015-application-error-0xc0000142-autoruns-for-windows-.html

Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 36 (12,634 Views)

Re: AutoCAD 2015 Unable to start 0xc0000142

03-27-2014 10:57 AM in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

Are all three computers running the same antivirus, like Avast, for example?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
eric.a.bogenschutz
Message 3 of 36 (12,626 Views)

03-27-2014 11:40 AM in reply to: TravisNave

They all have AV on them, and haven't had an issue with any other ADSK products on them. It's a corporate environment (25k employees), no option to disable Virus Scanning (McAfee).

We have Revit, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, 3DS Max in multiple versions and haven't ever had an issue with McAfee etc. I know it's a potential valid place to start, but seriously doubt it in this case.

Eric Bogenschutz

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 4 of 36 (12,624 Views)

03-27-2014 11:45 AM in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

Right, but we have to figure out what is common between all of those systems.  I also have McAfee and 2015 works just fine.  Because this is brand new software, any kind of bugs will have to be flushed out by finding out exactly what is causing it on your particular setup.  So anything you can find, turn off, etc. can only help.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 36 (12,601 Views)

03-27-2014 05:58 PM in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

Hi,

I had the same problem just now and tried also close to everything with antivirus, firewall, uninstall (as clean as possible, including guided registry cleaning), trying different options for installation like just AutoCAD without any things like Exchange, 360, Content Service ... or on the other hand install as default.

After a couple of hours I got it running:

• uninstall AutoCAD (clean uninstall)
  • uninstall Adobe Acrobat (release 9)
  • reinstall AutoCAD (without any individual settings)

Some years ago there was a similar problem with 3D-Capturing within Adobe Acrobat. That remembering + looking into process-explorer (from Sysinternals) made me wondering, why ACAD.EXE looks to some Adobe registry content and file content. Well, uninstalling it made it for me, and I have not yet tried to reinstall Acrobat (I guess I will not do it as I don't need it).

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 36 (12,593 Views)

03-27-2014 06:27 PM in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

Hi,

well, one step more, I had the exception 0xc0000142 on a Windows 7x32 virtual machine, that was solved as desribed above by uninstalling Adobe Acrobat.

And now I had a second system (my primary notebook, no VmWare), that has Win7x64 ... on that system I didn't need to uninstall the complete Adobe Acrobat, just the 64bit Extension that is listed in the installed programs as a seperate item.

But interesting: while I've got the same exception like you on Win7x32 I didn't get any exception on Win7x64. There a double click onto the AutoCAD start icon did nothing more than showing the wait-cursor for a very short time and nothing else, no exception, no startup-screen, ...

Hopefully that is a help for you or others, any feedback is welcome!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
NGirardet
Message 7 of 36 (12,565 Views)

03-28-2014 02:10 AM in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

Hello,

I had the same issue with ACAD 2015 and ACAD LT 2015 on two computers based on Windows 7 x64.

Thanks to Alfred.NESWADBA, I fixed it by uninstalling both:

• Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended (9.5.5)
  • Adobe PDF iFilter 9 x64

ACAD worked straight after unstallation of both softwares on both computers.

Regards,

Nick

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 36 (12,555 Views)

03-28-2014 03:08 AM in reply to: NGirardet

Hi,

thx for your feedback!

And just as an additional info: I played on one testsystem a little bit with this issue and I could reinstall Adobe Acrobat after AutoCAD was started once. So the source of the problem might be reduced for the first start (when AutoCAD creates it's user defined registry-/file-content) or when trying to run the activation process. When that processes are done, reinstalling made both products working.

BUT: I have not played to much with that, so I can't promise that this will work everywhere!

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 9 of 36 (12,517 Views)

03-28-2014 07:04 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

You are the man.  This will be a huge help to anyone else with this issue.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 10 of 36 (12,496 Views)

03-28-2014 09:08 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you! :smileyhappy:

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.