Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 "Error Aborting" Anomoly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
plopresto
1603 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 "Error Aborting" Anomoly

I've been having a persistent problem with my LT software so I have recently uninstalled all things AutoCAD using the Auto Uninstaller (including previous versions) and reinstalled the new 2015 LT.  After the install, I'm still experiencing the same problem which is detailed below.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit with Intel Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.8GHz, 8GB of RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 3000M video card.

When I first start Windows, I can start LT just fine by clicking on the desktop icon or using my start menu shortcut.  If I forget to open LT immediately after restart or I double-click on a DWG file in the windows explorer, my LT starts running through Windows Configuration (see picture #1).  This process continues through several windows where it looks like the language packs and other elements of the LT is being configured like it's the first time the program has been opened.  Ultimately, the LT splash screen pops up for about 15 seconds and then I get an "Error Aborting" message shown in picture #2.  The only way for me to start LT again is to re-boot my whole machine.  A simple restart doesn't fix the problem, I must actually shutdown and power back up. 

This problem also occurs if my LT crashes during normal use.  I try reopening after a crash and it will step through the Windows configuration windows, display the LT splash screen, and then give me the "Error Aborting" message.  Another shutdown solves the problem, but only if I open LT immediately after start-up before any other software.

I've also noticed that my LT has been crashing for a lot of minor things lately.  I've had crashes on the following commands: trying to open the layout manager, switching between active drawings, batch plotting in the background (if I don't plot in the background: no error), creating a new layout.  I'm not sure if these simple crashes are related, but I do know that I need to power down my machine after they occur in order for my LT to work again.

I have had this problem with LT 2013, LT 2014, and now LT 2015.  I've opened two cases through my Autodesk subscription that did not solve the problem.  I'm just hoping that someone has had a similar problem and can offer me some advice.  

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

---

Phil Lopresto

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: plopresto

Do you have roaming profiles?  Or some other profile locking program, two anti-virus running, or UAC turned up way too high?  Need to narrow down what is causing it to do a first-time run everytime at launch. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
plopresto
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave, the worst part about this problem is that I do not have administrative rights to my computer and those rights are only bestowed upon our off-site IT contractor.

Under the "Users" folder, I count at least 6 different profiles associated with my machine.  I don't think we have roaming profiles.  I can use my login on other office machines, but anything on that machine is only stored locally.

I do have anti-virus running which is Vipre v4.0.4194 from Sunbelt Software.  I just tried disabling active protection but LT still gave me the Error Aborting message.

As far as UAC, I'm sure my profile is set to a very restricted level.  Anything in particular you can think of that I can ask It to grant me access to in order to run LT?

Message 4 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: plopresto

First of all, that is absolutely the issue.  You need to have local admin / power user rights on your machine.  That just needs to happen.  I have zero respect for any IT that does not provide the engineers with appropriate rights.  Granting you local admin or power user rights does not provide you any additional security privileges on the domain.  It is simply a way to keep incompetent IT people relevant.  This is my professional opinion as a network administrator for nearly 20 years.  100% of my users have local admin rights.  Period.

Now that I am off of my soap box, you need to inform your IT that you need local admin rights to launch your software. After a successful launch, then you can be moved down to power user rights.  Your software will work correctly at that point.  As for UAC, I recommend that it is disabled.  It is a useless service that just annoys you with permissions boxes for everything. 

Good luck with that.  Incompetent IT are hard-headed.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
plopresto

Travis, Thanks for the information.  I've put in a request for local admin rights with IT.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to get my hopes too high.

I'll post back if anything is done/the problem gets solved.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

@TravisNave wrote:

First of all, that is absolutely the issue.  You need to have local admin / power user rights on your machine.  That just needs to happen.  I have zero respect for any IT that does not provide the engineers with appropriate rights.  Granting you local admin or power user rights does not provide you any additional security privileges on the domain.  It is simply a way to keep incompetent IT people relevant.  This is my professional opinion as a network administrator for nearly 20 years.  100% of my users have local admin rights.  Period.

Now that I am off of my soap box, you need to inform your IT that you need local admin rights to launch your software. After a successful launch, then you can be moved down to power user rights.  Your software will work correctly at that point.  As for UAC, I recommend that it is disabled.  It is a useless service that just annoys you with permissions boxes for everything. 

Good luck with that.  Incompetent IT are hard-headed.

Travis,

Well said & spot on! I'm a 20 year veteran AutoCAD Tech/Designer. A lot of what I do borders on IT level work and calling the IT Dept Help Desk every time a new release of AutoCAD, updates or basic things that they fail to address such as Adobe or Java updates is like calling a nanny that's younger and less experienced than myself. Every few years there's a turnover of IT perssonel or reorginization and someone gets the bright idea of stripping all local admin rights just because of a few virus threats. The last place I worked they spent 100's of thousands of dollars in virus protection, firewalls, outside IT consultants that were clueless and shortly after that we had 5 times as many virus infected PC's and malware which was rampant...

Without fail, every time local admin rights are stripped from AutoCAD users there are so many issues IT has to fix on a weekly basis yet still deny local admin rights. Most level headed IT people will understand and eventually give back local admin rights. This especially affects me because I'm an advanced user and I essentially help IT out by fixing coworkers PC issues that don't require local admin rights. It saves them a lot of headaches of remoting in to fix the issue whereas I can solve the problem in 1/10 the time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report