Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 hangs on first run initialization License Checking

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
6238 Views, 17 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 hangs on first run initialization License Checking

I downloaded the free for students autocad 2015 64-bit.

Evrything was fine during installation and then I was requsted to reboot the computer.

After rebooting I tried to run the program and it hangs on license chcking...

please help me...

I've tried evrything I've seen on google...

DW 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Having a similar issue with an enire lab full of PC's.

Found stuff like this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/can-t-use-inventor-2015/m-p/4954220

But nothing that appears to be working for me yet. Even if I kill the web exe's from the Task Manager, and uncheck the Home Screen" button, it's back the next time I restart the program.

Local Admin account, no Group Policy applied to the Win 7 64-bit implementation we are running. Latest updates applied as of today's date for both Autodesk and Windows.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

Actually, try this.

Right click your launch icon, properties, compatibility, run as administrator.

If you'd rather not have to type in the admin password all the time, edit the users Permissions to Full Control on the Security tab.

This cleared up the Home Page start-up hang issue for me.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

None of that worked either...

I give up..

Message 5 of 18
philip.s

Hello!

I've got another suggestion for you if interested which would involve removing all licensing info from your machine. Specifically by deleting the following: 

Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8:
C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data
C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adskflex_*.data.backup

Mac:

/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_*.data
/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_*.data_backup

This will trigger all Autodesk software to be reactivated. In the event a reactivation limit error message occurs when activating the software, please contact our License Assistance Team for direct support.

Please let us know if that works!

Message 6 of 18
autodesksusie
in reply to: philip.s

Hello and Good day!

I do not see either of those files in my C:Program Data folder. I am having the same issue as the gentleman above with the installation of any Autodesk product hanging on license checking during first run initialization on any of our Autodesk deployments. The flexlm finder comes up and when I enter the correct server the response is blanked out and the information is requested again.

We have requested and received two license files and uninstalled and reinstalled the license manager. When adding the environment variable to force the program to look for the license on the server (cwls1) nothing happens. I am not sure why the install cannot connect to the license manager as other products are using it correctly. this tells me that lmtools is working.

We are not sure what to do at this point, yet any help would be appreciated.

Message 7 of 18
msimon
in reply to: philip.s

Those files do not exist. What next?

Message 8 of 18
dembkod
in reply to: msimon

msimon

The files should be present, unless the licensing module is turned off. The files may be hidden by your windows settings.

In Windows Explorer, Click View > Options > Change Folder and Search Options

Access the View Tab and check “Show Hidden Files and Folders”

IF there is no file there, check your services.

1.)  IN the Run box type Services.msc and press Enter

2.)  In the Services panel, locate FlexNet Licensing Service 64

3.)  Make sure this service is not disabled and that it is running. Right-click and adjust to ensure it is started.

4.)  Start the program

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 9 of 18
msimon
in reply to: dembkod

Found the files and deleted them, thanks. Checked the FlexNet service and
it was started.
Still get the error that "Autodesk component has stopped working" when it
is checking the license. This happens when trying to start 20015 Autocad
and Revit.

--
Matthew E. Simon, AIA
SimonGlover Inc.
3293 Pacific Ave.
Long Beach CA, 90807
562-279-0050
Message 10 of 18
dembkod

msimon

Hello. This could be connected to some windows updates.

If this still does not help, look in you could have a conflict with a Windows Update.

•         Navigate to START > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  •         In the left panel, choose "View installed updates".
  •         Search for "KB2962872".
  •         If it is present, unistall it.
  •         Repeat process to uninstall "KB2976627" and "KB2977629".

Reboot and start program. After you activate, you can let the windows updates reinstall.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 11 of 18
autodesksusie

Well with the help of an ARC technician we figured out a solution to the issue. In LM tools there were several other programs that were using the licenser. There was no conflict between the different programs and the ports that were being used for licensing; however, it appears that when the Autodesk program was trying to call back to the licenser it would look though the different licenses and not find the Autodesk license.

We had to do a couple of things from there:

1- Alter the license file specifying a specific port: Autodesk would like the port to be between 27000 and 27004. In our case we specified 27003.

2-Use the environment variable ADSK_LICENSE_FILE with the value (port number@license server) in our case 27003@cwls1.

So when that environment variable was put onto the individual machine it was able to see the licenser. But we took it a step further. We first created a .bat file for the environment variable to be added to whatever machine you are looking to install Autodesk software on. We wanted to add this to our deployments some way because you do get the option to add additional software at the end of the deployment creation. The additional software can only be added in a .exe or .msi file.  So we converted the file to an .exe file and added it to the deployment.

Problem solved!!

Message 12 of 18
parleyburnett

Hi Simon, did you ever get this resolved.. mine is the same issue.  Thanks

Message 13 of 18
parleyburnett

I have the same issue but didn't see those updates in my list.. any other things I can try?

Message 14 of 18
msimon
in reply to: parleyburnett

Here's the reply I got and it worked.

Hello. This could be connected to some windows updates.

If this still does not help, look in you could have a conflict with a Windows Update.

Navigate to START > Control Panel > Programs and Features.         In the left panel, choose "View installed updates".         Search for "KB2962872".         If it is present, unistall it.         Repeat process to uninstall "KB2976627" and "KB2977629".

Reboot and start program. After you activate, you can let the windows updates reinstall.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

I am having this same problem. I've scoured the forum and none of the suggested solutions seem to be making a difference for our environment.

I have configured our network license server to use our new Education Master Suite network licenses.

When opening AutoCAD 2015, the software gets to "Checking license..." and freezes for about 5-10 minutes. It eventually DOES get a license, and I can confirm that license is in use on the server using LMTOOLS, but only after the 5-10 minute wait.

I have checked and/or applied the following changes:

• Our network license server provides licensing for other products, so each is assigned a valid port. Autodesk is assigned 27002.
  • I have added the system environment variable: ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with a value of 27002@<<servername>>
  • I've searched all registry keys for ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and confirmed that every entry matches 27002@<<servername>>
  • I've checked the "Flexnet Licensing Service 64" service. It is set to manual. I can start it myself prior to running Autocad, or not, and it doesnt have any effect on the delay startup problem.
  • I've run lmutil.exe lmpath -status on the client computers and it looks to show the correct information.
  • I've disabled the firewalls on both server and clients.
  • Based on another thread here, I've uninstalled MS updates KB2962872, KB2976627, and KB2977629.

NONE OF THE ABOVE STEPS HAVE HELPED TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE.

All of my other software titles that are licensed off this same network license server get their licenses instantly, as expected.

I've installed the same Autocad 2015 deployment on 2 different computers that never had Autocad installed before, and both have this issue.

It might also be worth mentioning that Revit 2015 (which now uses the same code, license server, etc), is having the same issue. It starts up, and I get a 'spinning hour glass' for several minutes until a license is finally borrowed.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Shortly after my last post, I finally resolved my issue. I thought my license file was using the correct Computer/Hostname, which is its name (also confirmed in LMTOOLS on the System Settings Tab). However, I needed to change it to the server's dns name, probably due to our unique DNS setup. Since the computer name isnt resolvable, I changed it to the DNS in the license file, and the clients starting getting a licensing instantly. None of my other software packages have had this problem. I still think it was odd that they would eventually get a license after about a 10 minute wait. But now, they get them instantly, so its all good.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous

I am having the same issue, and have tried all of the solutions listed below.  I am at the end of my rope. Nothing seems to work.  Can anyone give me a step by step resolution to this issue?

The only thing I haven't tries is the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE fix, as i can't seem to locate the file.

Please help.

Message 18 of 18
autodesksusie

You create the file through environment variables on your local machine. Right click on computer and then go to properties. Then go to advanced system settings.
The environment variable is right there.

Use the environment variable ADSK_LICENSE_FILE with the value (port number@license server) in our case 27003@cwls1.
Sue Geer
Data Analyst V
Community College of Baltimore County
X5733

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report