Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2014 slow on network

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Remote24
5725 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCad 2014 slow on network

hello.

We have a problem, we have installed 2014 on a couple of computers. And it´s very slow to create a new file, or just to browse through network directories. Even slow while browsing on c:\, but when we unplugg the network cable its going very fast. Then we can create a new file, and browse C: very fast.

So we think its something with Autocad and network...

We have googled it, and found that many others seems to have the same problem, and we have tested alot of things, but nothing works.

We can use Windows browser, and we can browse through all directories on the networkdrive as fast as if it was a localdrive. So its not networkspeed.

If someone have an Idea we would be very happy, best regards Clas

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Remote24

ProcessMonitor is a freeware that will let you know what's going on with your PC as you start AutoCAD and access files: grab it and find out what's going on.
Message 3 of 15
Remote24
in reply to: pendean

Have downloaded this.. .and it makes som things i think is maybe wrong.. or wiered..

When I browse the shared folder, it does as the picture... CreateFile   c:\windows\csc\v2.0.6\namespace\(the IP adress to the shared folder)

Then says NAME NOT FOUND

Could this be the problem? and WHy!?

2014-02-17 20-07-14.jpg

Message 4 of 15
Remote24

If I google Autocad Slow on Network.. I get over 1million hits.

But I cant find any solution for this...

Ist there anyone who have a solution for this???

Message 5 of 15
dgorsman

Without someone physically sitting at your computer, a definitive "Do this, and this, then that" solution isn't very likely.

Now, stupid question time: did you install AutoDesk 360?  Are you automatically logging on at start-up?  I'm thinking *perhaps* everybody is automatically synch'ing their work and settings to the 360 cloud service.  Might also want to check to see if Content Service is running and consuming resources; the initial index build can take some time.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 15
Remote24
in reply to: dgorsman

Nope its not 360... just standard Autocad 2014 with SP1.

The thing isnt that it takes for ever, but for every folder we click on it takes about 1-2second to display the contet of that folder.

But in the windows browser its in 0seconds.

And when we are going to open up a projekt it can be under 6levels of folders. And in a normal browser we would have opend it in just a sec.

But in Autocad we have to wait for every folder to be shown. And we opening a lot of projekts under a normal day. So its frustrating for everyone to have to wait.

Also Saving files takes a while.

When we click Save,  the blue bar in the bottom goes very fast, and the file is saved very fast, but then after its saved AutoCad freezes for 5-10 seconds. Also anoying, and it dosent happends on lokal disk like C:\

File saving, moving and copying, goes very fast in windows browser. So its not a network issue. 50-60mbit/s     response time 25ms 

Message 7 of 15
pendean

Autodesk 360, not AutoCAD 360, is part of AutoCAD 2014 and if you did nothing to it it's on and tapping the internet all day long. You can uninstall Autodesk 360 anytime, but it installs whether you want it or not.
Now reread dgormans reply and try turning it off (OPTIONS) or uninstalling it (Windows Uninstaller).

Another test: Does AutoCAD speed up if you disconnect from your network and work locally? Don't need to hear about how you only work from the server, this is a test, only a test.
Message 8 of 15
Remote24

I have now uninstalled 360... no diffrence

and yes autocad does speed up if i disconnect network

Message 9 of 15
Remote24

And noone else have this problem?

"Autocad Slow on Network" still gives over 1million hits on google, and no one seems to have a solution?

Message 10 of 15
mdellunto

I thought my engineer was crazy when he first said this but he has the same problem with Autodesk Inventor and says disconnecting his ethernet cable speeds things up like crazy.

I believe he said that if he is not connected to vault it works faster as well. Not sure if you are using vault?

Also maybe its a proxy thing? I know autodesk has a hard time with proxy servers.

Message 11 of 15
Remote24
in reply to: mdellunto

Nope not vault.

And yes without network cable it runs fast, but we do need the network.. 😃

Message 12 of 15
garlandh
in reply to: pendean

Another test: Does AutoCAD speed up if you disconnect from your network and work locally?

Yes the computer speeds up when you disconnect the network cable.  This computer was running fine this morning they saids.  we had to install a new 16 port gig switch replacing an 8 port. I ask everyone just 4 computers to log out while I did this.  When I installed the new switch, this one computer started taking about 30 seconds to open a dwg file.  I put the old switch back in and left only this one computer connected and still the same results.  Pull the network cable and the file opens within 5 seconds.   He had to not have closed out autocad when I took the network down is all I can guess. But cannot find the fix for this issue.  Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Message 13 of 15
garlandh

Did you ever find a solution to the issue of files opening slow in autocad while on the network.  This started happening this morning on just 1 machine. If you unplug it from the network it opens the files quickly.  All we did was install a new 16 port gig switch in place of an 8 port switch.  Even put the old switch back in to make sure.  But if I were guessing this one guy did not close out autocad when I ask and it hung something up.  If you have a fix I would really like to see it.

Message 14 of 15
kympomelo
in reply to: garlandh

Hi,

I was having a similar problem and followed the advice above to use Process Monitor to see what was going on. What I found was everytime I clicked on an object to edit it, Autocad LT 2016 would go around trying to create this file "acsceneui.crx" in about 20 different locations around my C drive. I noticed most of those places needed admin access, e.g. program files folder, so I just gave Autocad admin right by right-clicking it in the start menu, choosing properties then selecting admin rights under the compatability tab. 

I thought it was network related because it only happened on my laptop, where I access most of files via a VPN. But perhaps it was just the admin rights thing.

Anyway, this fixed it straight away. 

Message 15 of 15
weaton
in reply to: kympomelo

Go to File-Options and Open and Save tab.  Change 'Number of recently-used files' for 'File Open' and 'Application Menu' to a value of 0 (zero).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report