Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 license transfer telling me I have an invalid serial number

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JamesRJatho
572 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 license transfer telling me I have an invalid serial number

I mistakenly posted this in the main AutoCAD forum first.

I've been using AutoCAD 2013 on a computer since it came out, but recently upgraded and want to install on the new computer. Wanting to go about it the right way, I tried using the license transfer utility on the older computer, but it is telling me that my serial number is invalid? AutoCAD will still open just fine, and the serial number I see on the screen is the same on the retail packaging that I still have. I cannot get past the point where it is telling me that my serial number is invalid.

I tried just installing 2013 on the newer computer, and at activation I am given the message again that my serial number is invalid. What gives? Do older version of Autodesk products just become un-installable after a certain time period? What makes the serial number on my retail packaging suddenly become no longer valid?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: JamesRJatho

Message 3 of 6
JamesRJatho
in reply to: rkmcswain

The answer in the other forum is just a link pointing me back to this thread...

Message 4 of 6
jessica.t

Hi @JamesRJatho,

You are receiving the invalid serial number error because your 2012 has been upgraded to 2013 and is no longer on Subscription. Once your Subscription lapses you lose previous versions rights unless you have never activated your most recent product, then you can still activate a previous version. As this is the case in your situation, please contact the Activation and Registration department with your 2012 serial number and request code:

1.    Visit http://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus
2.    Select “Activation & Registration” or “License Management”
3.    Select appropriate subtopics from the pull-down menus
4.    Select “I Still Need Help”  if you need personal assistance

If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know or please "Accept as a Solution" if this post resolves your issue so that others with this same question can more easily find an answer. Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 5 of 6
JamesRJatho
in reply to: jessica.t

Jessica, that's where it gets complicated. The 2012 was with my previous company. When I arrived at my current company, we purchased 2013 from Amazon. I am using the serial number from 2013. There was no upgrade purchased.

Message 6 of 6
jessica.t

Hi @JamesRJatho,

I apologize, I was referring to the 2013 and 2014. You will not need anything that has to do with the 2012 version, sorry for the mix up. You can still follow the steps I listed above as both the 2013 and 2014 are registered to you and the 2014 has never been activated.

Hopefully that clears things up Smiley Happy

Jessica Thrasher

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report