Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012 resolution problems

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
kchilders78
20381 Views, 16 Replies

AutoCAD 2012 resolution problems

My problem is that everytime I launch AutoCAD 2012 I get an error message stating that "AutoCAD requires a 1024 X 768 resolution or higher" (or something to that effect) and when it loads, AutoCAD is not properly sized to fit my screen.  It has some giant sized control tabs across the top and a very small working area.  Maximizing it causes about half of the program window to be lost off the side of my screen, and manually dragging the edges of the window to size it doesn't help.  Basically, it's unusable right now.

My specs are:

42" 1080p screen (16:9)

Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz

6 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 w/ 1GB video RAM

Does anyone know what's wrong or how to fix it?  Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TravisNave
in reply to: kchilders78

What is your screen resolution set to?  

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 17
kchilders78
in reply to: TravisNave

1920 X 1080
Message 4 of 17
TravisNave

That *should* work.  You might as a test just set your resolution to 1024x768 (though it will look terrible on your display) then launch AutoCAD successfully.  At that point, change your resolution back and see if it continues to work.  Good luck! 

Edit:  I also tried searching for a certified and tested driver for your video card and setup, and this is what was displayed from Autodesk:

The combination of your selections is either not supported or has not been tested by Autodesk.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 17
asayyar
in reply to: TravisNave

Having the same problem with 2012 LT version ! using win7, 64-bit. tried lowering the screen resolution but it doesn't work. there was no error while installing thou. when I hit any of top- tabs ( Open;for instance) the reolution of pop up seems to be correct!

when i try :Right click>options> "Use large buttons for toolbar" checked or unchecked, their sizes are the same!!!

Any clue?

asayyar. 

Message 6 of 17
asayyar
in reply to: asayyar

One Soultion:

as a try, I changed the Monitor's color ( in Right click or Display>screen resolution> Monitor Tab>colors) from 32bit to 16 and it looks much better. even thought i have to do it each time I open CAD.

Message 7 of 17
dlhartley
in reply to: asayyar

I'm having the same problem with this system:

It makes AutoCAD too big to fit on the screen, with giant icons,looking like it's at a very low resolution

AutoCAD 2012

Windows 7 64 bit

i3 Intel processor

8gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 video

24" monitor at 1680 x 1050 resolution

Same message "Error Aborting-  AutoCAD requires 1024 x 758 to run...

David

Message 8 of 17

Hi there.

I hope I'm not too late to help you.  I just downloaded it and had the same problem.  But upon searching in the "help feature" in the pogram itself, it suggests that you may need to change the DPI to 96% on your computer setting.  I wasn't sure where I could find that, but after searching in my main "start" window, it led me right to it.   After I did it on mine, it turned out fine.  With the exception that the font and letters are way too small for my eyesight.  What I did to compensate that in my case is that I turned on the magnifying glass in my computer setting, so that whatever area my mouse hovers over is enlarged. 

Hope this helps.Woman Happy

Message 9 of 17
JBerns
in reply to: clarivel.campa001

Folks,

I just completed a support ticket for which a client reported the error, “AutoCAD requires 1024 by 768 resolution or higher to run”. The graphics card meets the system requirements, but Windows Display Magnification was set to 150%.

Once we changed Display Magnification to 100%, the error did not appear when starting AutoCAD.

To change the setting in Windows 7:

1. Close all applications; a log-off will be required
  2. RMB on the desktop > Personalize > Display (lower corner of dialog box)
  3. Select Smaller - 100% > Apply > Log off now
  4. Login and test AutoCAD

I hope this information was helpful.

Best regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 10 of 17
rjjvirusx

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley HappyThank God and Thank you ~ the problem made me crazy....

Message 11 of 17
dschrider

I followed the suggestion and checked the magnification. sure enough it was set to 150%. I changed it to 100%. the acad will now load all the way to the gui and then terminate.... any ideas? 

I have rebooted ... no go

Message 12 of 17
TravisNave
in reply to: dschrider

Post your installation log.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 17
M5F10
in reply to: JBerns

Hey sorry but i am using autodesk automotive 2014 on a mac and my resolution is bad my computer resolution is 2880 by 1800 help please
Message 14 of 17
muhammad.alfian
in reply to: M5F10

Hi,

Try this:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/autocad-requires-1024x768-resolution-or-higher-to-run-tip8534

its work for me, and resolved my AutoCAD 2012 resolution issue.

Regards,

Alfian.

Message 15 of 17

Thank you Muhammud!

After loading my 2012 Autocad LT on my new computer I was suffering the same error message and off screen symptoms as listed above. Reducing to 100% was an instant cure.

Message 16 of 17
vipergeis
in reply to: JohnMU7W8N

I ended up fixing my resolution issues by right clicking on the autocad icon on the desktop > properties > Compatibility tab 

make sure 640x480 is NOT checked

also if you have the option for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" try checking that. - this worked for me

I'm currently running win 7 pro x64 with 1920 x 1080

Message 17 of 17
johnkHXFD9

I, as well, had a blown up window running AutoCAD LT 2012 in Windows 7.

I tried everything listed above. Nothing worked.

This is what you need to do:

Right click>personalize> change your theme to Windows 7 Basic.   Magic!!

If this helps, please reply.

Best of luck!

-John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report