Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad 2011 .msi Issue..

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ACE2011
2085 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCad 2011 .msi Issue..

I have made my custom Deployment to use with SMS, and although it seems very similar to the 2009 deployment we currently use, Anytime I go to "run" the script for installtion with the Transforms= ".mst" It keeps saying the .msi is not a valid installation source.

actual error pop up reads: The Installtion could not be opened. verify that the package exist and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package..

and again the reason it seems strange is that we have 2009 already built and running great, and it points to the same .msi that 2011 is now using.

Any opinions? Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hashim.mundol
in reply to: ACE2011

this is msiexec error when the msi file is opened by another program (orca) for editing, or if you dont have permissions or you might have a corrupt file.

what is the error when you run it from the command line using msiexec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
ACE2011
in reply to: hashim.mundol

Thanks for reply.

That IS the error when running from a CMD line (as admin).. my line is

msiexec /i "C:\AutoCad Electrical 2011\AdminImage\x86\acade\acad.msi" TRANSFORMS="C:\AutoCad Electrical 2011\AdminImage\x86\acade\Autocad electrical 2011.mst" /qb!

Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
ACE2011

And also If I am to run the 2009 msi directly from command It runs fine.

however, If I run the 2011 msi directly from cmd, It says "you must use setup.exe to insatall'

certainly there has to be a way to use the msi?

Message 5 of 9
hashim.mundol

yeah setup.exe is the supported method,

which is documented for sccm here http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesInstall/WS1a9193826455f5ff-75c1f7c3124f51ccbd1-5fec.htm

but if you have all pre-requistes installed msiexec should work. this is similar to the gpo installation.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesInstall/WS1a9193826455f5ff4e421d7d11bf108001d-4f52.htm

are you running 32 bit software on 32 bit windows ?

try to add transforms for gpo.mst in the command line. or try the other msi file in the same folder which has gpo in the name

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 9
ACE2011

Hi. thanks for quick reply

I am personally on a 64bit machine (Vista) I uploaded the 32bit deployment to out SMS server and have even tried appliying the GPO.mst and it doesnt work. It says "Error applying transforms" .. Most likely that would be due to the fact that I never set that GPO.mst up?

Anything else I can try, im at a loss at this point. Thanks

Message 7 of 9
DannyHubbard

As Hashim pointed out with SMS/SCCM installs we recommend doing it using the Setup.exe from the deployment not the MSI.

In your case it is probably failing because the Language pack is not getting installed. You will need to add another line to your script to install the language pack MSI as well.

The language pack should be found at a path like "C:\AutoCad Electrical 2011\AdminImage\x86\en-us\acade"

Not sure if you will also need to include the GPO.MST to your Transforms or not.

But also as Hashim mentioned there are pre-requisites that will have to be installed separately since they are not installed by the MSI.

Hope it helps

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 9
hashim.mundol

please try on 32 bit machine.

we can't mix architectures of software and OS.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9
ACE2011

I am building a new XP machie now to fully recreate the deployment and see what happens, I will update soon thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report