Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2010 borrow license error

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
TonyPugielli
1953 Views, 24 Replies

AutoCAD 2010 borrow license error

We have just implemented a network license model here. I tested the borrow feature but when I take my machine offline AutoCAD says it cannot find the licnese server.

When I launch the application when my machine is online, it tells me I have a borrowed license. What am I doing wrong?
24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
TravisNave
in reply to: mmanning

Ah, very true.  The old Admin vs restricted user argument. Well, license borrowing is tied to the registry.  I suppose a possible work around would be to give your users rights to the necessary registry keys.  I would also think that Power User rights would also work. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 22 of 25
mmanning
in reply to: TravisNave

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!! Give that man a prize!

So setting the named user as a Power User works. However, setting a domain OU that the user belongs to, and not the actual user as a Power User does NOT work. This was part of the problem I think. I had been setting an entire organizational unit as Power User, which works fine in XP, but this does not appear to work the same way in Windows 7.

And Power user has less influence apparently in Windows 7. In what I have read, it is only included still for 'legacy programs'?

Thanks a lot for your help with this. I was about to start pulling my hair out

Message 23 of 25
TravisNave

Always glad to help.  Glad you got a good work around for your issue.  Smiley Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 24 of 25
mmanning

So, to continue my hijack of this thread, I spoke too soon. Turns out that as long as the user had at least Power User priveleges AND I didn't restart the computer the license would be recognized off the network. However, if I restarted the computer the license would fail to be recognized and AutoCAD would not run.

So, the short explanation is that when power cycled with the network cable unplugged the system would disable the NIC and totally remove it from the list of available network devices, not even listing it in the Device Manager. If however I plugged any active network cable into the NIC, even one that didn't point to my network, the card would become active again and the borrowed license would be recognized. I thought it was power saving option or something in Windows 7, but I disable everything in Windows that would allow the NIC to be put to sleep to no avail. So, on intuition and advice from another user, I looked in the BIOS settings and found and disabled the LAN power saver mode. Disabling this option allows the NIC to stay available/active even if no cable is plugged in, and the borrowed license is recognized. Hooray!

Hope this helps other in this situation

Message 25 of 25
TravisNave

Ah well played.  The power saving of the NIC would definitely cause this error.  Sometimes I even make a Microsoft LAN Loopback adapter to always ensure an active network connection, even if it is virtual.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report