Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Att Autodesk - inventor add-in supporting documentation for when things go wrong

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Mark_Wigan
329 Views, 1 Reply

Att Autodesk - inventor add-in supporting documentation for when things go wrong

hi Autodesk,

not sure if the following post (link) is relevant to this part of the forums but just thought it may be relevant (almost) to installing and fixing broken installations, since some of the remedy involves running a repair or uninstall, reinstall at times.

within the post you will see the mention of deleting a file / folder from AppData. this works well.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/No-option-to-log-in-to-Vault-2012-from-Inventor-2012/m-...

i am sure many of the inventor / vault users know about this but for now at least the mention of this quick fix for broken add-ins, it may be worth some follow up by Autodesk to make some reference to it in their documentation.

thanks for your consideration.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

here is another thought or two that may need to be taken into consideration by theDevelpers....

as far as running a repair / reinstall, i would have thought that the app data / preferences files and folder would have been a likely candidate for the files to be replaced or restored.

if we run a repair or even a reinstall the scope of the repair needs to extend to also fix these user based Roming folders & files as well as the other installation files within program files!

ok, and one last thing, the developers may be interested in, whilst running a repair or reinstall (i cannot recall which right now) we are asked to "insert disk number 3"...

disk3? what disk3? so we insert the usb stick (from our installation media if we have asked for one, that is if we specifically ask for one!!! , if not we need to insert disk number 3 from the downloaded msi installation media file??? what?)

... having now inserted usb stick, i click ok... "please insert disk number 3" message pops up again! hmmm, this is not really that helpful is it?

who is managing the Team of Developers these days? We are trying to get our work done but spend time trying to get past these nice little hurdles. And probably too often for my liking.

update: 5 minutes ago my inventor crashed. upon reopening, all of the vault addins are all broken again. it seems to me that this melt down of my add-ins is happening to me in fairly recent times. what is the main difference in the environment that i can think of? probably that i am running the vault job processor on my computer now. As this little program is having to use inventor to process jobs... and, i am also working in inventor most of the time as well, could it be that this little guy is fighting me? more than likely!

the real issue is that if this is holding onto the process and causing the invetor crash to be more severe than when inventor is just crashing like normal, then the roll on effect is more significant from what i can tell.

if so, i wonder if our Developers can attend to either a message that pops up from inventor or the job processor that the two programs should not be run at the same time? or, if the job processor is running, it is paused if it sees inventor start up!

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report