Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Installing AutoCad LT 2013 on Machine with Academic Version

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ckirch
471 Views, 3 Replies

Advice on Installing AutoCad LT 2013 on Machine with Academic Version

I've recently purchased AutoCad LT 2013 and I am ready to install it on my Windows 7 machine. I currently have a 2012 Academic version installed on the same machine. I am looking for advice on whether I should uninstall the academic version prior to installing the new LT version or if I can install the new version and leave the academic version on the machine. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: ckirch

It's best not to mix the two at all because the educational version files cannot be used for commercial use.  Anything that you open in the commercial version will be watermarked and potentially affect all of your other files as well.  Avoid this scenario at all costs.  Either install to a different machine or remove the educational version.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
pendean

Do you still need the EDU version of 2012? If yes, you can install LT2013 right next to it and keep both if you are authorized to have both of course (being a student/academic plus wanting to do private work on the side).

Just remember: the EDU watermark that is embedded in all the DWG files you created with the EDU version remains in the files: it does not magically disappear because you open these files in a commercially licensed version of AutoCAD. Same goes for content you copy/paste or WBLOCK or XREF from those EDU watermarked files: content created with EDU software must not be used for commercial gain, that's the agreement you signed back in the day with the EDU license.

Message 4 of 4
ckirch

Pendean, Thanks. That answers my question. FYI, I have 2012 Adademic so I cannot update the serial number through ABOUT. I was just concerned that installing both on the same machine would or could cause confusion in the registry files.

BTW, I am aware of the pitfalls of opening files created in Academic from Full Commercial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report