Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSKFLEX.OPT Max_borrow options

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
mjcouch
1286 Views, 13 Replies

ADSKFLEX.OPT Max_borrow options

I'm struggling to find documentation regarding setting GROUPS and defining MAX_BORROW_HOURS. Is it possible to set different borrow time periods for the same product? - eg Group ONE can borrow 72200ARCHDESK_2010_0F for 8 days whilst Group TWO can borrow 72200ARCHDESK_2010_0F for 14 days.

I have remote users, most of which only require a few days borrow at a time, whilst others need a longer period but I don't want to risk all the remote users taking licenses for the longer period - I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me if this is feasible.

Thanks,

Mark.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: mjcouch

No, unfortunately the Max_Borrow_hours option is not dependent on the Group option.  It only modifies the product feature.  Therefore, you'd only be able to specify the max hours to borrow one time globally with this option. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 14
mjcouch
in reply to: TravisNave

That makes sense, when investigating settings by my predecessor there were different MAX_BORROW HOURS logged as if defining shorter borrow times for different users but I could only validate the higher value, as soon as I commented this out it then reverted to the next lower value.

I have got the strange scenario where some users who are not listed in my groups can still gain a license and they get the maximum 6 month borrow period which is worrying, I thought the MAX_BORROW would resolve this, any ideas how this could be occurring?

Cheers.

Message 4 of 14
TravisNave

Yes, you probably need to add the following option line to your adskflex.opt file:

GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE

This will ensure that your group names ignore the upper or lower case of the usernames.  Because if it doesn't match exactly, it will ignore the option.  This is probably what is happening in your case.  This option resolves that and ignores case. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 14
mjcouch

Sorry for delay, I already have GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE defined. My problem is with users who are not defined in my groups (e.g. new users, I.T. individuals, etc.) can get licenses and gain the unrestricted 6 month borrow period. Shouldn't those undefined users be unable to retreive a license if not named in the options file?

Message 6 of 14
TravisNave

No because the function limits those only that you specify.  It's an inherit allow otherwise.  What exactly do you wish to accomplish?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 14
mjcouch

I was wrongly making an assumption that the options file works as a definition for all users but I realise now the clue is in the name 'option'  - In that case if I had no option file anyone with a network installed Autodesk product would be allowed to run the software and get the default 6 month borrow time? - my option file applies limitations only to those I specify - Is it possible then to reduce the borrow time at license level? - If so, then I would like to set a license level of 1 month for particular users at license level and use my option file to set groups and restrict the borrow period to a safer and less generous14 days.

I apologise for my ignorance I have CAD Management experience for MicroStation and I'm trying to use that knowledge and apply it to configure AutoCAD.

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
TravisNave

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you want for the borrow option.  It appears to be an all or none scenario and if you tried to add two distinct settings, it would likely only recognize one of them.  Which is why you are getting the results that you are.  Your only other option for a per-user would be to exclude users from being able to borrow altogether. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 14
mjcouch

Thanks for your advice on this, I have one last question, which I suspect I already know the answer from the results I seem to be getting: I tried setting two user groups - one containing users for AutoCAD Architecture and another for Revit Architecture. The users in the Revit group also appear in the AutoCAD group, I wanted to exclude the AutoCAD group from opening Revit (we are experiencing users gaining Revit licenses by accident when running AutoCAD because both applications are installed on the same PC)

It seems that the exclude also prevents the Revit group accessing Revit due to their details being in both groups, is this what you would expect? - I say it seems to be the case because we have poor network communication and I cannot always be certain the license is being refused due to the option file.

Message 10 of 14
TravisNave

That is correct. What you actually need to do is think about it backwards. Instead of EXCLUDE, what you need to use instead is INCLUDE.  All you would need to do is INCLUDE the users who you want to have access to Revit.  Anyone who is not in the INCLUDE would be excluded.  You would not need to limit AutoCAD, since everyone would have access to it.  You would get the results you want with one option. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 14
mjcouch

Thanks for all your help this makes sense now that I understand it better

Message 12 of 14
TravisNave

No problem.  If you run into anything else, just let me know. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 14
aaljabari

Hello, I am wondering if you find a solution for your problem. I have the same issue where I have 2 groups one I want to setup the MAX_BORROW_HOURS [product ] to 3 days and others from 2 months. I am wondering if I have another 5 new licenses would they have the same [product feature] or different.

Message 14 of 14
TravisNave
in reply to: aaljabari

If they are the same product, they'll have the same feature code.  There's no way to group the max borrow hours as it is dependent on the product and not the users. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report