Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
dbounds
257 Views, 5 Replies

adLm can't connect

for Inventor 5, we have the ADLM set up and Inventor installed but go to run Inventor and get this message.

License Server Host Unknown

Thanks,
Dan
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: dbounds

Dan -
Please bear with me, I'm an inventor idjit.

What type of licensing does inventor 5 use? I understand that it uses Adlm, but there are two different "versions" of the adlm and
they exhibit completely different problems (in some cases). Do you know if it is based on Elan technology or FlexLM technology? Did
you get a license "file" or an authorization "code"?
Did you use the setup in the netsetup folder (and I'm just assuming that there is a netsetup folder in IV)?
The error License Server Host Unknown would lead me to believe that you are having host name resolution problems (but I'm completely
guessing). Can you give me some background on your network. DNS servers? Wins servers? TCP/IP I'm hoping?
--
jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"dbounds" wrote in message news:f0b4662.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> for Inventor 5, we have the ADLM set up and Inventor installed but go to run Inventor and get this message.
> License Server Host Unknown
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
>
Message 3 of 6
dbounds

You do it just like autocad or MDT when using the ADLM, which we are using.
Trouble is, this installation is at another plant (in MO) and I'm in PA. I have set it up here with Elan ADLM with no problem. It the ADLM from the Rel. 14 CD. I just added Inventor with no problem.

They got all the codes and added the licenses (312 came up with 4 licenses) to the ADLM.
They installed it on a shared (G:) drive. I installed mine on the root (C:) drive of the server.

What I thougth it sounded like was that the user couldn't see the share drive they installed it on. That's what they are checking into presently.

Thanks,
Dan
Message 4 of 6
dbounds

As for network installation for client deployment - it is a little different than AutoCAD based products. Microsoft scripting (MSIEXE.EXE) is used. The format is MSIEXE /a SETUP.MSI then follow the prompts. I am trying to see if they setup the network deployment folder this way.

Thanks,
Dan
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Dan -
It shouldn't matter whether or not the users can see the share. The files have nothing to do with the actual granting of licenses.
The licenses are issued via tcp/ip only and the actual files are never accessed by the client.

Are you sure that the Adlm service is actually running? You have to go to control panel and start it the first time (I don't
remember if it's set to manual by default or not, but it's something to check). After you start the service you have to wait for 3
minutes while it looks around before it will issue a license.
--
jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"dbounds" wrote in message news:f0b4662.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> You do it just like autocad or MDT when using the ADLM, which we are using.
> Trouble is, this installation is at another plant (in MO) and I'm in PA. I have set it up here with Elan ADLM with no problem. It
the ADLM from the Rel. 14 CD. I just added Inventor with no problem.
> They got all the codes and added the licenses (312 came up with 4 licenses) to the ADLM.
> They installed it on a shared (G:) drive. I installed mine on the root (C:) drive of the server.
>
> What I thougth it sounded like was that the user couldn't see the share drive they installed it on. That's what they are checking
into presently.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
>
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,

if it's crying about the server host, it has to be a nw version you have
installed. Check that these workstations don't have an acadserver
variable set to a wrong server! Also check that the workstations can
ping the server by name and vice versa! If not, you'll have to fix your
nameresolution. Also check that the workstations are running the same
system time. MAybe the adlm that's on the R14 CD is too old? Download
the Inv. 4 adlm from:

ftp://adeskftp.autodesk.com/prodsupp/inventor/inv4_lic_server.zip

That's all I can think about right now. 5.3 will be using the FlexLM so
if you are on a subscription, maybe you shouldn't work on this too much?

HTH

Petri Ahava
CAD-Q Finland

dbounds wrote:

> As for network installation for client deployment - it is a little
> different than AutoCAD based products. Microsoft scripting (MSIEXE.EXE)
> is used. The format is MSIEXE /a SETUP.MSI then follow the prompts. I am
> trying to see if they setup the network deployment folder this way.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report