Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acad, C3D, Revit & SDKs (2014): How much storage space?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
doni49
416 Views, 7 Replies

Acad, C3D, Revit & SDKs (2014): How much storage space?

I have IDSU 2014.  From this suite, I want to install Acad, C3D, Revit and their respecitve SDKs. 

I have an Ultrabook running Win7 and it doesn't have enough hard drive space.  I THOUGHT I'd be able to use a network drive for the installation.  But the installer tells me the drive isn't valid.

So my thought is to use a USB stick.  But what size would I need? 

This installation would not be for production use -- I'll be using it at home and then mainly to become familiar with using the SDKs.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: doni49

the one that autodesk provides with the suites are 32 gigs in size but that is only if you copy  from the usb stick to another usb stick

if you used broswer download for the suite its much smaller

its about 12 gigs for the 64 bit download for IDSU 2014

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
doni49
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks but I was talking about actually INSTALLING it on the USB stick. But after posting the question, I remembered that I have a spare USB hard drive. So I pulled that out of storage and distilled on it.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 8
DarrenP

i wouldn't recommened installing on an external device

for one now every time you want take your laptop anywhere your external harddrive would have to be plugged into it to use the Autodesk software

with ultrabooks they do not have many USB ports

this may also cause issues with the software

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
doni49

The internal drive doesn't have enough space. So it's external or nothing.

I understand about needing to have the external drive connected when I want to use the software. Although it's not ideal, it's acceptable.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 8
doni49

DarrenP wrote:

this may also cause issues with the software

As long as I don't run it without the drive attached, what kind of issues would you foresee?

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 8
DarrenP

slow start up of the software would be one, performance may be another one since your going to be constantly read/writing to the external drive this may slow down the software

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
doni49

Ok.  Thanks.  Those types of issues fall under the "not ideal but tolerable" category as well.  It won't be for production use (and for the most part a lot of the time, the software won't actually be open/running -- I have Visual Studio (C## and Basic) installed and will be using the Acad/Revit APIs.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report