Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACA 2012 Install Customization

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jaycenr
539 Views, 1 Reply

ACA 2012 Install Customization

We spent a week with our reseller's tech and our IT department to find that the installation code for ACA 2012 does not allow for folder redirection under Windows. Our network, for example, uses group policy folder redirection for a user's My Documents and Favorites folders. If these folders have been changed from their default, the 2012 installer will not give you an error upon install, but it will not install all of the files to the ProgramData folder or properly create customizations that you make during the initial setup or install image creation.

Our specific error revealed itself after install with a warning after starting ACA 2012 by notifying the user that their "My Documents.lnk" and "My Music.lnk" files were not found. Why the installer is confused by folder redirection is beyond me. Folder redirection is a very normal practice, and it seems that Autodesk's programmers should have taken this into consideration. I suppose it's pretty easy to miss something simple when you're writing a program with millions of lines of code.

Hopefully, some of you may benefit from our solution. Although there are many deviations that can occur between different networks, here is the solution that worked for ours:

1) Create a local administrative user on a computer and log on to the local machine.

2) Install the software with any customizations that you desire during the image creation.

3) Export a Profile to an .arg file and store it on a network location.

4) Move the image to a network location.

5) Log on locally to each machine under a local administrative account and run the installation image.

6) After installation has completed, change the properties of the AutoCAD 2012 icon on the Desktop (and don't forget to also change the one under Programs on the Start menu) to either remove the /p switch (if you want to allow users to modify their own local user profile) or change the path to point to the .arg file you created above (if you want to force users to use the same profile).

7) Have your user log on to the local machine and start AutoCAD by clicking on the Desktop.

😎 Import the .arg and set the desired Profile current.

Voila! Enjoy your AutoCAD 2012 experience!

If you encounter any similar issues or wish to share any additional tips for installation, please feel free to post them here.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
TravisNave
in reply to: jaycenr

Thanks for the tips.  It's my belief that the issue is more by design to prevent installation to a roaming profiles infrustructure so that the license agreement can be better enforced.  Well done.  Smiley Wink

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report