Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
cbenner
443 Views, 5 Replies

6 Core processors

This may not be the right spot for this, but is anyone runninf Autodesk products on 6 core processors?  And if so, are there any known issues other than the fact that most Adesk products don't fully utilize more than a couple processors?  We're spec'ing new workstations, and finding that the new Quad cores are actually slower than our current Zeon's.  Must be trying to push people to the 6 core.....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

Like you mentioned, the product doesn't really seem to utilize the multiple cores but that has generally always been the case.  I have run it on multi-core without any significant improvement.  Granted, the OS as a whole will work better so there is some benefit even if it is not to the application itself.  I suppose you could manually work the affinity so certain less used cores are more dedicated to the Autodesk app.  Just my 2 cents. 

Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks Travis, we currently run Quads, and have no real issues.  It does help when you have 8 things open at one time and do a lot of multi tasking.  I was more worried about these new 6 cores... if there were any known problems with Inventor or Vault.... compatibility wise.

Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

Honestly, I can't imagine there is.  Just like when processors went to dual and quad, Inventor never really even knew the difference.  I say go throw inventor.exe on CPU5 and see how it behaves.  Smiley Very Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: TravisNave

I think I'm going to go that route just for the clock speed.  Our IT dude told me that the new Quads are actually slower than the 6 or 8 cores.  Under 3GHz!  That won't cutit with IV and Vault both running at the same time PLUS Acad and Excel and our ERP and CRM and Sharepoint..... not to mention being in the forums all day!  Have to have my priorities.

Thanks for the input Travis... see you in Vegas?

Message 6 of 6
TravisNave

Dude, I wish I was going this year.  Haven't been since 2010.  Maybe next year. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report