Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2014 crashes without error message.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
gurkan_la
655 Views, 3 Replies

3ds Max 2014 crashes without error message.

I recently installed a student-liscensed version of 3ds Max 2014. After installing the software I've tried to open the program several times without it starting. It will not even give me an error message. The strange thing is that i can see the program running under processes in the windows task manager even though it doesn't seem to have started.

I've tried both reparing and reinstalling 3ds Max but neither of those options solved the problem.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jeffrey.sin
in reply to: gurkan_la

Hi Gustav,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Software crashes are one of the harder issues to figure out. Usually, we'll start off by checking if your machine's specifications comply with the system requirements of 3ds Max 2014. You can check this link for the Autodesk 3ds Max system requirements.

Next is to check your video card driver, perhaps you need to update your video card driver to a WHQL driver. Try these out and see if it works.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Sin

Autodesk Customer Support
Message 3 of 4
gurkan_la
in reply to: jeffrey.sin

Thanks for replying Jeffery!

My computer fullfills the requiered specs. Here is a list of them if it helps:
Intel i7 3770K

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1

(I'm installing max on an SSD with about 40 gb of free space left.)

I updated the driver on my video card yesterday but that doesn't seem have made any difference. I forgot to mention that I had the exact same problem with 3ds Max 2013 which was why i downloaded the 2014 version yesterday. The only thing i can think of which might have caused this problem is that i recently installed a few games on my system. These might have changed either DirectX or the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ packages somehow. Could that be linked with the crash i'm experiencing? 

Sorry if all this is speculation is gibberish. Just trying to provide as much information as possible.

Once again, thanks in advance!

Message 4 of 4
gurkan_la
in reply to: jeffrey.sin

Solved it!

I installed the 3ds Max Service Pack 3 and the program booted up correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report