Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2012 Student Version won't start

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
althor1170
7103 Views, 8 Replies

3DS Max 2012 Student Version won't start

I downloaded and installed the student version of 3ds Max 2012.  Everything went smooth until I started it after the install.  It directed me to activate it, which I did (and got the registration number), but it would never start the program.  It initializes, the locks up at  "loading plugins:  ...\stdplugs\HSDS.dlm"   Always at the same plugin.  Do I need this plugin?  Can I just delete it?  Is this something left over from the previous version?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit if it matters...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
hashim.mundol
in reply to: althor1170

Please try to run the program in the diagnostics mode as described here

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1054234

If it fails

login as a new windows user and try to run.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9

I've done their directions in Diagnostics mode and I tried in a new Windows user, but it still won't open.

It starts, but once it gets to Starting 3ds Max.. It won't open.

I don't know if this helps but my Teacher and some classmates said it takes probably all night for it to install, but mine only took about an hour.

(I've downloaded the regular version and 3ds Max Design.)

Message 4 of 9

Download could be longer, 

Installation should be faster.

Do you have some log files to share (from %temp% folder)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9

I recently installed 2012 and have run into the same issue. Can you please point me in the right direction to solving this matter.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9

I had a problem and after hours of sorting through code relocated the file and changed the extensions .dlm to .dll and it worked with ease. if .dll doesn't work the try.dlu you 

Message 7 of 9

I was having the same problem and I did what was suggested and changed the extension to .dll and IT WORKED! Thank you soooo much. Now I can get my homework done!!

P.S. - I ran the find file in the 3dsmax program file and it found it easily.

3ds Max Design 2012 running Windows 7 Professional

Message 8 of 9
gentlestev
in reply to: althor1170

Help me friends. I bought 3dsmax design 2012. When i start it. It loads all the plugins perfectly but keeps still at 'starting 3dsmax......' without bringing up the user interface and no error even when i left it for almost 10hours i wont come up. Hlp me plzzzzzzzzzzz. Here or email stevenonyeje@gmail.com
Message 9 of 9
firoz554
in reply to: sandi.christian

What do you mean by this:

"changed the extension to .dll"

I have the same problem but no solution found...the 3ds Max starts and ask me for some CIP i accepted then it initialized some files and then "Starting 3ds max..." after this there is a gray box on the screen and nothing happens for hours...

See this pic if you can...

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report