Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2011 x64 crashes after splash screen

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
solarnoise
721 Views, 4 Replies

3ds max 2011 x64 crashes after splash screen

Hi all,

I am using a student license which activated just fine.

My install of Max 2011 x64 WAS working fine on this machine a while ago... I recently attempted to launch it after downloading some other Autodesk projects (Maya, Motionbuilder, Modo), and now my Max 2011 will not open.

After the splash screen gets to "Starting 3ds Max..." the program fails to launch and I get the "3ds Max Error Report" window.

I have tried uninstalling and doing a clean reinstall, and it still does this.

I tried installing Max 2013 x64 and it WORKS... but I want to be able to use the 2011 version.

My computer:

Windows 7 x64

Intel E8400 @ 3.4 GHz

4GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 260

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: solarnoise

Start by updating to a WHQL certified driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

Perform a clean install when prompted.  It will take a reboot to finish installation.

Then you might have to do a repair install of 2011.  Check to see if there are any service packs afterwards.  Good luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
solarnoise
in reply to: TravisNave

I did a clean install of 2011 x64 and x32.  I also did a clean install of the latest WHQL graphics driver.

x64 still does not load after the splash screen.  It gets past "Starting.." and then I get the "report a crash" screen.

x32 does load, but shows me an error first (attached screenshot) and  then asks if I want to restore the ribbon to defaults.  It does this every time.

Any help?  I can use x32 but I'd really like to know why x64 won't open.  My machine is very "clean" and I use antivirus/antimalware and I am the administrator.  My other Autodesk products work fine.

Message 4 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: solarnoise
Message 5 of 5
solarnoise
in reply to: TravisNave

I did that and still get the error. but at least 32-bit opens fine after the error prompt.

Any ideas on how to get 64-bit to launch?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report