Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Cascading

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
DarrenP
2270 Views, 24 Replies

2012 Cascading

I would like to know how the 2012 cascade licensing will work for the new suites

ex: will a revit 2011 product license pull a building design premium or a ultimate 2012 license?

ex: will a inventor 2011 license pull from any of the new 2012 suites?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

Agreed. I tried finding this information this morning for a customer and have yet to see anything specific on the latest releases. 

I did verify that Inventor 2011 will pull from the 2012 suites given it has a Subscription Packsge LIC file.  So I would imagine those from 2009 thru will also work for the new suites. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 25
DarrenP
in reply to: TravisNave

i tried testing this today but its not working

might be because the license file doesn't have a package increment

don't know if you can get this with the new suites

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 25
TravisNave

I've only had to do it once for a customer whose Inventor 2011 was upgraded to Suites under Subscription.  Here is what the PACKAGE portion looks like:

PACKAGE 85814PDSP_F adskflex 1.000 COMPONENTS="85795PDSP_2012_0F \
 85573INVBUN_2011_0F 85607SHOWCASE_2011_0F 85615ALSK_2011_0F \
 85580MBXPRO_2011_0F 85545AMECH_PP_2011_0F 85503MAXDES_2011_0F \
 85579INVNTOR_2011_0F 85598VLTC_2011_0F 70400INVBUN_2010_0F \
 83900MBXPRO_2010_0F 71800AMECH_PP_2010_0F 70000MAXDES_2010_0F \
 85577INVNTOR_2010_0F 74500VLTC_2010_0F 59300INVBUN_2009_0F \
 59200AMECH_PP_2009_0F 612003DSMAX_2009_0F 70200MBXPRO_2009_0F" \

You can see it has the cascade for the older AIS suite.  The Pro PACKAGE is similar with the pro modules cascading from the new 2012 Suites as well. 

The customer was still using AIS2011 and AIP2011 and was working fine after the new LIC file. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 25
DarrenP

that answers one question about cascading

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 25
TravisNave

Agreed.  I'd like to see the rest without having to wait for Subscription upgrades on all the products.  But there is nothing on the KB about it yet. 

Here's PRO if it helps:

85815PDSU_F adskflex 1.000 COMPONENTS="85796PDSU_2012_0F \
 85607SHOWCASE_2011_0F 85615ALSK_2011_0F 85580MBXPRO_2011_0F \
 85545AMECH_PP_2011_0F 85503MAXDES_2011_0F 85579INVNTOR_2011_0F \
 85000DESNST_2011_0F 85567INVPRO_2011_0F 85598VLTC_2011_0F \
 83900MBXPRO_2010_0F 70200MBXPRO_2009_0F 71800AMECH_PP_2010_0F \
 70000MAXDES_2010_0F 85577INVNTOR_2010_0F 70500INVPRO_2010_0F \
 74500VLTC_2010_0F 59200AMECH_PP_2009_0F 612003DSMAX_2009_0F \
 59600INVPRO_2009_0F 70200MBXPRO_2009_0F"

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 25
DarrenP

i am assuming vltc_2011 is vault collaboration?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 8 of 25
TravisNave

That is correct.  It's quite a PACKAGE deal this time around when you look at the products listed in the cascade...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 25
DarrenP

i think you have answered my question

inventor 2011 will pull a product design suite license if it has the package statement

i am assuming the same is for revit 2011 will pull from the building design suite if it has the package statement

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 10 of 25
TravisNave

I would assume so, though I have not yet created one for the Revit suites.  I suspect I may be doing one shortly however. 

It would be nice if Autodesk had a KB that listed this in the way that they do the older software. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 25
DarrenP

they finally posted it: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16981643&linkID=9240657&CMP=OTC-RSS...

DarrenP

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 25
TravisNave

Excellent!  Thanks for the follow-up!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 25
LyleHardin

I don't particularly like this new cascading.

We have people using plain AutoCAD 2011 that are pulling licenses from the Building Design Suite (BDS).

They do not even have the Building Design Suite on their machine. If someone wants to get into Revit 2011 or 2012 the licenses are already used by people who are using plain AutoCAD.

When this occurs and someone wants to use Revit, I have to look at the license manager, call the person using AutoCAD who is pulling the BDS license and ask them to get out of AutoCAD for a few minutes so the Revit user can get a Revit license.

This doesn't seem right to me.

We have 11 AutoCADs, 2 BDS, 3 PDS, 9 Civil 3D, and more. I've had Autodesk create a new license file for me (they had a good turnaround time, I must say) hoping that was the issue, but it is still going on.

Is this normal? I hope not.

Lyle.

Message 14 of 25
DarrenP
in reply to: LyleHardin

no thats not right Autocad should be pulling from the autocad license pool not the BDS pool

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 15 of 25
LyleHardin

That's what I thought.

I do like when all my 11 AutoCADs are used and when a 12 person tries, it will use a Revit license if available for that 12th AutoCAD. But, it's steeling a BDS license right off the bat. Sounds like I need to re-open my ticket with Autodesk.

I've updated my license server (FlexLM) and license files. So, there must still be something wrong with the License file.

Thanks for the confirmation (or at least agreement).

Lyle.

Message 16 of 25
DarrenP

try rearranging the order of the products inside the license file

try putting autocad on top then civil 3d then the suites

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 17 of 25
DarrenP

we ran into this issue with Building Design 2012 & revit MEP 2012

revit 2012 & 2011 would pull from the MEP suite license but 2010, 2009 would pull from the building design suite pool

so the fix was to put the MEP Suite license on the top and put building design suite at the bottom and include both plists for both as per request by autodesk to try

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 18 of 25
LyleHardin

Yes, rearranging things seemed to do the trick.

One would think Autodesk would compile my license file correctly considering that was part of the information I included in the ticket.

It still shows me as using two licenses when I have a 2012 and 2011 Civil 3D open, though. That's no big deal, it shouldn't happen often.

It does correctly show only one license when I have Inventor 2012 and Mechanical 2012 open at the same time.

So, I think I'm good to go.

Thanks

Lyle.

Message 19 of 25
DarrenP

yes thats correct since your opening up 2 different versions it will consume 2 licenses

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 20 of 25
mike.burke

Here's my 2 cents.

I have always put AutoCAD at the top of a merged lic file. I've found it has not stopped vanilla AutoCAD getting Suite licenses (Revit Structure, Product Design Suite Ultimate).

In my research I have found AutoCAD will only grab a Suite license after it cannot find a AutoCAD licence from the license servers (either all vanilla AutoCAD licences in use, or there's a latency issue and it cannot talk to the license servers). If AutoCAD cannot find a license, it starts going through each license server from the beginning again looking for any Suite licenses and will grab one if there is a spare.

Since we got the new Product Design Suite lics, I am now seeing both vanilla AutoCAD and 3ds Max Design users grabbing that Suite licence. None of those users have Inventor 2011/2012 installed and do not use the Suite serial number on their products.

I have now rearranged the lic file and put all the Suite licenses and the PLIST at the bottom like it has been recommended in this thread. I hope that works. Otherwise I will have to resort to using the options file to controll the Suite licenses.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report