Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
k.katsaras
957 Views, 9 Replies

2 network cards

Hi all,

I have a server with 2 network cards. I use actively only one of them. When I installed the lmtools both nics appear in the ethernet address. I chose to use for the licence file I ask from Autodesk the NIC that belongs to the card that I don't use for data transfer.
When I create the deployment In one step of the procedure it asks me for the servername (sigle server deployment) and the ethernet address and next to the ethernet address space has a button Lookup. If I press lookup the second NIC appears and I change it with the NIC binding the licences manualy.
I haven't completed the installation yet so, I can ask now that... Will the deployment work? Does the AutoCAD at the client machine will look only for the servername ? or by default looks for the NIC that comes out of the lookup button and not from the one I manualy typed?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: k.katsaras

Kostas said the following On 9/8/2006 8:45 AM:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a server with 2 network cards. I use actively only one of them. When I installed the lmtools both nics appear in the ethernet address. I chose to use for the licence file I ask from Autodesk the NIC that belongs to the card that I don't use for data transfer.
> When I create the deployment In one step of the procedure it asks me for the servername (sigle server deployment) and the ethernet address and next to the ethernet address space has a button Lookup. If I press lookup the second NIC appears and I change it with the NIC binding the licences manualy.
> I haven't completed the installation yet so, I can ask now that... Will the deployment work? Does the AutoCAD at the client machine will look only for the servername ? or by default looks for the NIC that comes out of the lookup button and not from the one I manualy typed?

See:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5184565

--
R.K. McSwain
http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com
Message 3 of 10
k.katsaras

I've read that post and the post
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4906618
as well but...

In the first post it says that you need to use the first ethernet address that appears in LMTOOLS while in an autodesk whitepaper it says that it doesn't matter what ethernet address you will use to get the license file...

Moreover in my case the first ethernet address that appears in the Lmtools is not the one that appears during the deplyment when you hit the lookup button...
Message 4 of 10
TravisNave

As long as the license matches the first ethernet address and the License Service starts successfully and shows licenses, you will be fine. The rest is just connectivity.

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Isn't it possible to use the MAC address of any NIC in the server, whether
or not it's used for data transfer?

If that works, if you ever have to replace a server, you can just move that
NIC over to it, keep the same hostname, and your same license file would
work.

--Cy--
Message 6 of 10
TravisNave

Yeah, it doesn't matter if it is the data transfer NIC or not. Just so long as the license file matches the LMTOOLS and the service starts.

Rather than moving the NIC, what I do is clone the MAC address. Works like a charm.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 10
k.katsaras

The point in using 2 NICs on the server is that, in my case anyways. In a disaster scenario, I just move the NIC that isn't used anyways to a second machine rename it to mach the first and Booooommm!!!! No downtime and everyone is happy..... :))))
To make it even faster, the second NIC is one of those usb network cards. But untill I get it to work properly I can not say anything yet...
Message 8 of 10
TravisNave

NetBIOS and cloning the MAC address will provide the same level of *magic* without the need of a screw driver.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 10
k.katsaras

OK... An update...
I used a USB network card as a second card for the server. This Network card is just inserted, No TCP/IP settings, No cables pluged.
I used this card's NIC when asking for a license file.
The lmtools show both MAC addresses in Ethernet address box, with the USB network card showing first.
I got the license file and run the service and It worked.

To sum things up.

Either one from the MAC address will work for the license file.
You can bind the license file to a second network card that is not used actively by your server.
It doesn't matter if the network card is the first or second in Windows registry.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

That's what the Adesk network wizards preach. Jerry Milana taught us to get
a USB ethernet adapter and use it like a hardware lock for the license
servers. My LMTOOLS are linked to the mac address of the USB adapter which
is not hooked into the LAN at all. If the machine dies, I can grab that
adapter and turn any other machine into my license server.

Mark Evinger

wrote in message news:5322761@discussion.autodesk.com...
Isn't it possible to use the MAC address of any NIC in the server, whether
or not it's used for data transfer?

If that works, if you ever have to replace a server, you can just move that
NIC over to it, keep the same hostname, and your same license file would
work.

--Cy--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report