Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Instance of NavisWorksManage2013 is Using 2 Floating Licenses

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
fëanor
575 Views, 5 Replies

1 Instance of NavisWorksManage2013 is Using 2 Floating Licenses

When any user opens NavisWorks Manage 2013, it is taking BOTH of our two floating network licenses.

I have checked LMTOOLS > Server Status > Perform Status Enquiry both before and after the program is opened.  You can clearly see that the 2 floating licenses were assigned to the exact same user and computer, at the exact same time.

Restarting the FlexLM service has not helped.  Does anyone have any ideas?

This is incredibly frustrating.  It feels like AutoDesk has basically stolen the cost of 1 license from us, but we do not have a subscription so they will not even speak to me on the phone or submit a ticket.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: fëanor

Can you post a snip of the log contents where it shows the Navisworks license getting checked out and returned?  We have users running multiple simultaneous sessions and only pulling one license.  What you see as two licenses may instead be a package and feature.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
fëanor
in reply to: dgorsman

Sure thing, here are the logs:

13:39:40 (adskflex) OUT: "67600NAVMAN_F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
13:39:40 (adskflex) OUT: "86022NAVMAN_2013_0F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
14:03:08 (adskflex) IN: "86022NAVMAN_2013_0F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
14:03:08 (adskflex) IN: "67600NAVMAN_F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC

Through corporate sales we were finally able to get a tech support ticket created with AutoDesk.  They have provided me with a file to clear out all borrowed licenses and I have scheduled a maintenance Window tomorrow to try it out.

We also discovered that it's a miracle it was working in the first place.  A problem with our BDSU subscription license (yes it turns out we actually have a current subscription and nobody knew it) meant it actually was missing the NavisWorks 2012 and 2013 licenses (according to http://www.licenseparser.com).  This means we have somehow been running off of a single license with 2 concurrent users.  Doesn't make sense, but anyway AutoDesk has provided us an amended license file and we're going to load it up after clearing out all borrowed licenses.

Message 4 of 6
fëanor

We used the AutoDesk-provided file to clear out all borrowed licenses, and then we loaded up the new and corrected license file that they gave us.

Here is what the logs look like now (similar):

11:39:52 (adskflex) OUT: "85788BDSADV_F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
11:39:52 (adskflex) OUT: "85948BDSADV_2013_0F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
11:42:29 (adskflex) IN: "85948BDSADV_2013_0F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC
11:42:29 (adskflex) IN: "85788BDSADV_F" bob.johnson@BOB-PC

But when I look at the results of LMTOOLS > Server Status > Perform Status Enquiry it no longer shows two items assigned to a single user.  This seems to be solved!

Message 5 of 6
dgorsman

Notice the different values, one with a version and the other not?  One is for the package, one is for the feature (I *think* those are the names; I haven't memorized the entire FlexLM manual).  Its still one actual license being checked out.  But glad you have things functioning - I know when our Navisworks is down users are yelling LOUDLY.

If you don't have it, I suggest getting the JTB license reporting tools.  Highly useful for these types of issues.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 6
fëanor

You rock!  The JTB FlexReport LT tool is great for easily checking all of our different license servers.  Thanks for the tip

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report