Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startup Crash with Vista 64

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
lednuzb
654 Views, 11 Replies

Startup Crash with Vista 64

So, I'm pretty new to XSI, and I am really enjoying what I am seeing. Unfortunately, every time I start XSI, it says "Improper exit detected. Try to recover?" I click no to load the default project with a blank scene. After doing that, it begins to load again, loading some of the UI, but then stops and says "Softimage XSI has stopped working" and I have to close the program. I have gone through the support page on the Wiki with startup problems (runonce.bat, video driver, changing "View Manager" to "explorer"), and nothing has helped. The only way that I can get it to load is to delete my Softimage folder under C:\Users\Name\Softimage. Then it works maybe 50% of the time. But once it does load, I get into this vicious cycle again.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have done everything I possibly know how to do to no avail, and can't continue the project I was working on. Each time I have to delete the User folder, I loose my keymapping, mouse prefs, everything.

This is with 7.0 and 7.01

System Specs:
HP dv9700t Laptop
NVidia Geforce 8600 GS 512 MB - forceware version 174.32 (This is the NVidia driver from HP, I also tried the newest driver from LaptopVideo2go.com, it wouldn't recognize my card)
DX10
4GB Ram
Vista Home Premium 64

This machine runs all other 3D apps perfectly (Modo, Maya 2009 64, Blender, ZBrush, Mudbox 2009, etc)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: lednuzb

HAve you contacted SI support? They used to be fast to response. I have Vista64 at home, and have no problem at all. Use the service pack available, and try turn UAC on off, Aero on off, etc. Check the license server as well (although I'm pretty sure it's not the license server)
Message 3 of 12
ciaran2

Same problem, same hardware (HP dv9700, nvidia 8600, vista 64). 7.0 used to work (haven't run it in months) so I'm guessing it's a driver issue as I just let windows update install whatever it wants on this machine. The nvidia driver is currently 177.13.
Message 4 of 12
Stephen.Blair

Do you have Digital Persona installed?

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 12
lednuzb

If you are talking about the fingerprint ID software, yes I do. Is that a problem?
Message 6 of 12
Stephen.Blair

Yes, it may very well be that Digital Persona is conflicting with XSI.
I had a similar case with another customer; he had to remove Digital Persona to get XSI to work.

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 7 of 12
ciaran2

How annoying (if that's the case) - I had to remove that once before then reinstalled it after I stopped using the other offending piece of software because the fingerprint reader is very useful.
Message 8 of 12
lednuzb

How do I remove it? It doesn't appear anywhere in the program list.
Message 9 of 12
ciaran2

So I (reluctantly) uninstalled digital persona, and now XSI starts. So whose fault is that? Digital Persona's? Microsoft's? HP's? Soft's? Grrrr.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

You don't have to uninstall Digital Persona.

Just kill the DpAgent.exe process in the Windows Task Manager after each login.
XSI is able to work after that.

You can still use DP fingerprint input to login.
Message 11 of 12
lednuzb

That worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Barry
Message 12 of 12
DonovanC

I am having the same problem but I don't have the PD software and I am running XP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report