Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best Dell laptop spec to run Max 2011? Animation/Render/High poly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
241 Views, 6 Replies

What is the best Dell laptop spec to run Max 2011? Animation/Render/High poly

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody would kindly recommend a system for Max 2011.
I have a budget of £1100 to be spent on a Dell as my XPS inspiron M1710 died on me so looking for replacement with warranty, so has to be a Dell sadly.

When it comes to hardware I have no idea, I run Max 2011/Brush and After effects and Photoshop so need a new system to cope with all but primarily max 2011.
I have been looking for a few days comparing graphic cards but have no idea to be honest! It seems there are a lot of conflicting articles on the matter.
Could anybody suggest the best Dell system I could get for my money to run Max 2011. I will be using the laptop for High poly/Low poly modeling/ animation/ rendering so it will be a work horse!

Thank you all in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Guys,

This is what i have come up with so far...

Processor:

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 820QM (1.73Ghz, 8MB cache

Ram
6MB Duel Channel DDR3 SDRAM
Or do i fold out for 8MB???? Which is an extra £350?

Graphics Card

1gb ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics Gard

This comes to around £1350...
Is this good bad or ugly for max 2011...lol
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

the system requirements are 2gb ram for every core. an I7 got 4 cores but uses hypertreading to make it look like 8 cores.
so i think the best is to go for the 8gb ram so it matches the cores and dont forget to buy a 64bits os because a 32bits os only supports 4gb of ram.

with this specs you should be able to run 3ds max 2011 seamles.

hope this information will help you further with your search for a new system.
Message 4 of 7
companioncube

looks good. i don't think its worth spending an extra £350 for an extra 2gb, 6Gb will be plenty.

you just to think realistically, laptops aren't workstations and even though that laptop is decent for the price it is not as good as a workstation you could get for the same price.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hey Thanks you both,

Will be buying this spec tommorow, so will give feedback on how this system runs.
Would love a workstation but laptop means i can do 3d on the go (train and holidays!)
I have a pretty good spec at work and backburner sothis is just for overtime work.

Lets see how quickly i can kill this laptop with Max. Xps Inspiron M1710 died within 12 months.

Thanks Again
Message 6 of 7
dongray

Was your old laptop still under warranty?
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi,

Yeap it's under warrenty. I manage to get £1100 back from Dell but then put another £500 ontop of that to upgrade the spec.

I orderd it anyway, will see how zbrush/max /after fx etc will run on that spec.
Graphic card isnt the best but could always upgrade if it is rubbish.

Thank you all for helping me witht his, i am rubbish when it comes to hardware!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report