Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what happened between backburner 2008.1 and 2008.1.1?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
370 Views, 8 Replies

what happened between backburner 2008.1 and 2008.1.1?

Hello - we have a small render farm that has been running Max2009 for a few years now. For the most part its been rock solid. We've recently decided to upgrade to Max2011. Along with that upgrade came a new version of backburner. After installing Max and backburner on a few machines I found that they fell out of communication with the manager. So I upgraded backburner on the manager and it didn't help. So as a test I uninstalled backburner 2008.1.1 and reinstalled 2008.1 from the Max 2009 folder and it fired up just fine (even connecting to the manager that is 2008.1.1).

Here is the last piece of my puzzle. While I had Max2011 installed on the render boxes (and therefore Backburner 2008.1.1) If I ran SERVER as an application, the manager detected it instantly. If I stopped the application and installed it as a service, the workstation was never registered with the manager. If I uninstalled the service and started the application, the manager picked it right up.

In summary, backburner 2008.1 (from the max2009 installation) works fine as service and application. backburner 2008.1.1 from the 2011 installation works as an application, but not a service.

So what is the difference (network wise) between the server application and the server service? and what changed between backburner 2008.1 and 2008.1.1?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In summary, backburner 2008.1 (from the max2009 installation) works fine as service and application. backburner 2008.1.1 from the 2011 installation works as an application, but not a service.

I have BB 2008.1.1 running here as a service, no problem.
When you reverted back to serve.exe did you just stop serversvc, or remove it? I did have an initial problem using the service, but it was fixed by removing it then reinstalling the new version using the serversvc -r then serversvc -i commands. Then it worked.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

yeah - I was uninstalling the service each time (-r). I'm leaning towards the problem is either a screwy network issue or a problem with my installation files. Unfortunately I work for a gigantic engineering firm who refuses to help me out checking on either problem. So in the mean time what I have done is to install Max2011 (so all of the workstations have 2009, 2010, and 2011) then uninstalled backburner 2008.1.1 and installed backburner 2008.1 from the 2009 image. Seems to work ok now but I wonder what sort of issues I might run into down the line with the newer version of Max and the old version of backburner.

FYI - the service installed (and uninstalled . . . and installed again) just fine. It just wouldn't register with the manager. If I ran it as application, it worked fine.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

It's not just you,I just pushed out Max Design 2011 and have the EXACT same issue that you have when running it as a service. It starts, but it has no connection to the Manager at all. If I uninstall the service and just run the normal server.exe it connects as expected.

Did you ever find a better solution to this as I don't really want to go back through 100+ machines to take 2008.1.1 off and put 2008.1 back on.

Let me know. Thanks.

Eric Bogenschutz
Message 5 of 9
andrewjmorin

Bump

My servers go "absent" as soon as I switch from the server.exe 'application' to the serversvc.exe 'service.' If I do the "-r" and run the application again, I'm good.

My Manager is on Win7 64-bit, both 32 and 64 Max2011 installed (so tis box can be a 32bit server in the background).

Dedicated Servers are all XP.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

You DID uninstall Backburner 2008.1 BEFORE installing 2008.1.1 from 2011? If not, that could be causing your problem. I know it is an "update" but I have never "updated" Backburner, always a fresh install with no previous versions present.
Message 7 of 9
andrewjmorin

Fresh install from a freshly downloaded installer.

In another thread someone mentioned that the backbuner.xml file locations might have somthing to do with it, but I've fooled around with editing those with little guidance or success. Apparently when you load the service logged in as a 'priveledged user' you get a freash xml file that ignores the settings from the server.exe appplication, and the only way to change that is to edit the XML.

Anybody know what the XML ought to read? It's all greek to me.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewjmorin

You didn't say that you UNINSTALLED the old Backburner... before Fresh install of the new one.
I have never needed to play with the XML file but I have always launched Max once on the servers before putting them to use.
Message 9 of 9
kaijurgen
in reply to: andrewjmorin

The backburner service uses the local system as the default user. You need to change this to your user account or create a user account to use for network rendering. You can change the default login by going into control panel/administrative tools/services. find the backburner service and open up the properties by right clicking. In the "log on" panel select "this account" and enter your account info. Assuming you use the same login to initially configure the server to connect to the manager in application mode, it should now be able to find the manager when you install the service.

hope this helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report