Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Software License Checkout Failed. Error 20

68 REPLIES 68
SOLVED
Message 1 of 69
Anonymous
104700 Views, 68 Replies

The Software License Checkout Failed. Error 20

Hey I'm new to the software and to the forum. At first everything was working smoothly and I was going through the tutorials like crazy. The next thing I know I try to re open 3ds max 2010 and I receive this message. As of the moment I'm using the trial and I want to upgrade but I need to make sure that the software is going to work alright before I spend this amount of money.
I sent a message to Autodesk and they redirected me here. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I can't wait until my skills are good enough to match some of the stuff I'm already seeing.

- Andrew
68 REPLIES 68
Message 2 of 69
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Moved to Installation/Hardware/OS as it also covers Licensing and it therefore more appropriate.

"Checkout" implies Network Licensing which wouldn't normally be used with the trial AFAIK.

Can you post a screenshot of the error please?

If you get no further responses in a day or so I'll PM someone who should (hopefully) be able to help.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 69
cy_shuster

The message you posted is not one you should see on the startup of the trial. The trial is a "standalone" license, locked to one PC (although you can move it). You can also purchase a "network" license which is shareable among users on a network. "Checking out" is a feature of the network license, by which you can take it home and use it offline.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Please review the forum rules. You'll get the best results by posting details of your error message, the steps you took to get it, and a summary of your environment (OS, graphics card, etc.) such as you'll find in typical posts.

The trial is a full, uncrippled version of the product, so if you make certain key changes in your setup, you may confuse the software into thinking it's running on a different PC (it's very hard in software to detect what the outside of the case looks like!). Changing your boot drive is one of those changes.

--Cy--
Message 4 of 69
Anonymous
in reply to: cy_shuster

Help!!

I have the same problem. I got 3DS Max about a week ago and I am loving it. Today I tried to start Max up but it got the same error.

Thanks!

Edit:

Oops! sorry, I'm new, didn't know how the forum worked here ;)
Message 5 of 69
Anonymous

I reinstalled Max, that solved the problem for me.
Message 6 of 69
LyleHardin

Didn't work for me. I'm getting the same statement but with Error 2. MAX 2009 will fire up just fine, 2010 gets the error.
We're running a network license of MAX Design on several machines. Both 2009 and 2010 fire up fine on the 32 bit XP machines. MAX 2010 gets the error only on the 64bit Vista machine. It's been working fine for months. Worked fine Friday. Tuesday I started getting the error. I applied patches, hot fixes, un installed, re installed, etc. I still get it. I've gotten both Error 2 and Error 20. I've even shut down and restarted the license server.
Message 7 of 69
Anonymous

Having the exact same problem on Win7 x64, and posted in this thread:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/installation---hardware---os/error-20/

Were you able to solve this problem and get MAX working again???
Message 8 of 69
Anonymous

I wanted to bump this thread because it seems I can't find any answers anywhere on the net. this and like one other site (which was a bootleg download site) was the only site I could find even mention of this error. I'm a student at an artinstitute and I'm in dire need of getting max 10 to work on my computer because max 10 isn't backwards compatible *(go figure) with 9. If I can't get max 10 to work I can't even work at my home without doing the whole annoying export as OBJ. So if anyone could please take this question seriously and explain what's wrong with our computers, I'd greatly appreciate it so I can get back to work at school.
Message 9 of 69
Anonymous

yeah I have the same problem....

"the software license check out failed, Error 2"

3ds max design 2010 64 (sp1 with lastest hotfix) network license
WinXP Pro 64, 8gb, Intel Xeons X5355, Quadro FX 3500

3ds max design 2009 64 works fine on the same machine...

isn't there a log or some way to determine what this error is?
Message 10 of 69
Anonymous

Our IT guys figured it out... My problem was "Software license check out failed, Error 2"

Here is what they did to resolve it:

There is a file in the ADLM directory under ALL USERS\application data\Autodesk\ADLM called Cascadeinfo.CAS that can get corrupted. Renaming this file caused a new one to get created and Max fired right up. You can look it up on the autodesk site about cascadeinfo errors. There was a .CPP file that could not be read in the adlm log under my profile and when I typed that into Google it lead me to an article on the cascade errors.

Hope this helps you guys!
Message 11 of 69
Anonymous

My solution to get rid of error 20 after installing 3dsmax 2010 is ...
renaming file: "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\FLEXnet\adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data"
... put this file someware else for backup.
then restart max.

hope it works for you ... spamhalator
Message 12 of 69
Anonymous

Thanks so much for the help, I got MAX working again by renaming the files "adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data" and "adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data.backup.001" so MAX could create new files to replace them. FYI, for Windows 7 users, they are located in the "C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\" directory. After restarting MAX, I did have to go through the activation procedure again. Fortunately I have that information saved in a text file (a habit I have of saving such info for every program I purchace and activate/register) so it was no big deal for me, just make sure you have the info for your activation handy (MAX saves a copy in an .html flie for you somewhere in your user directory, I believe). THANKS AGAIN for the help!!!!
Message 13 of 69
Anonymous

Guys, didn't work anything from mentioned above ((( Still error 20 .... :(
Message 14 of 69
Anonymous

this just happened to me.... I had to use hijack this to get rid of some stuff and bam.... oops...lol... any suggestions
Message 15 of 69
Anonymous

I found a solution for the people that reinstalling and renaming the files did not work.

1: Pull up run and type in services.msc

2: Ckick on the standard tab at the bottom.

3: Find FLEXnet licensing service.

4: Right click on it and press propoties.

5: Make the start-up type Automatic.

6: Under "service Status", press start.

Your 3ds max should now work fine. The way I have found this out was when I used to use 3ds max 9 32-bit, the licensing service sometimes became disabled so I had to change it like that. From previous comments talking about FLEXnet, i saw that in services.msc and fixed it.

Hope this helps! Chris
Message 16 of 69
julianboswell

Thank you - that worked for me too.
Message 17 of 69
softail6

halopro77: (Chris)

You SAVED my day i thank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH for this solution,
it worked out like a breeze on my system !

Way to go man !
Message 18 of 69
Anonymous

I got this message about "error 20 licensing server connection ..." on three machines in our lab.

All the machines were identical domain login machines with an install of max and a identical OS image which was put on three days before.

I reinstalled the image (including max) on two of them with no change.

After swapping a hard drive with the machine next to it that was working, I found out the problem was with the hardware.

I checked the rate of the network cards which were identical and benchmarked the machines performance which were nearly identical.

The problem turns out was that the system clock was not set on the non working machines.

Reset the system clock in the bios, and presto working machines.

Hope this helps someone.
Message 19 of 69
Anonymous

I have reinstalled and i did the services stuff, still not working 😕
Message 20 of 69
Anonymous

WoW you have saved the day for me m8 thanks alot :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report