Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP4 ruined Mental Ray (Maya 2015)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
martin
2815 Views, 5 Replies

SP4 ruined Mental Ray (Maya 2015)

Downloaded SP4

Installed

MR not working (plugin refuse to load)

Read online that previous MR versions has to be uninstalled

Uninstalled all MR components

Download MR Satellite

Install MR satellite, restart

MR doesnt even show up under plugins - and there isnt even a plugin-file around *

Download MR Standalone and try that

...and it asks for a bloody key! 

Where is the -normal- Mental Ray download that actually works???

EDIT:

* - Not a single mll inside c:\Program Files\Autodesk\mrsat3.12.1-maya2015\

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
martin
in reply to: martin

Never mind. I see that it was just hidden in plain sight:

mental_ray_for_Autodesk_Maya_2015_SP4_Win.msp

...under Autodesk Maya 2015 Service Pack 4.

But I can´t install it since I get an error:

"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"

Message 3 of 6

Yesterday I also found out that that mental ray for me is not working.  Glad I'm not the only one though, I've been trying to fix it all day and even on the mental ray patch for sp4 I'm getting the same error message.  So far no luck on trying 😞  been bothering me like heck 

Message 4 of 6

Finally got it working.
This is the correct order of installation:

Maya 2015 > Extension 1 > Service Pack 4 > Mental Ray update

The correct Mental Ray download on:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2015-servi...

...is the file called mental_ray_for_Autodesk_Maya_2015_SP4_Win.msp (msp - 36.30Mb)

But if you, like me, happend to uninstall Mental Ray completely prior to trying to do the update, then you need to run the Maya software installation file again and install Mental Ray (before running the patch above).

Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 6
hectorusername
in reply to: martin

Hey Martin, I'm getting this error too:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program"

But I downloaded the correct file?

Message 6 of 6
martin
in reply to: hectorusername

Go into the Control Panel and check the list of installed programs to make sure that you have Mental Ray installed.

I did the mistake of uninstalling it prior to trying to applying the patch - which gave me that same error message.

If it´s missing you will have to download the Maya installer again and install Mental Ray before you apply the patch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report