Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quadro FX 580 vs GeForce GTX 460

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
inacentaur
2907 Views, 12 Replies

Quadro FX 580 vs GeForce GTX 460

Which card to get for 3ds Max, Adobe CS3?

Both cards are about the same price. Quadro FX 580 (though old, and listed to support just Directx 10) is listed on the supported cards list for 3ds Max 2011 (but not Maya) http://download.autodesk.com/us/qualcharts/2011/3dsmax2011_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf

The rest of the system is 4 or 8 gb ddr3 ram's worth of LGA1156 i7-860
Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 n00b
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: inacentaur

I have a GTX 460, and I've tested a Quadro FX4800. Both gave me the same performance in 3ds Max 2011 (but a huge difference in price)

I would go with the GTX 460, it's a nice piece of hardware, and is not too expensive.

cheers,

M
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

i say go for the gtx 460. like the previous poster said the performance isn't that huge of a difference but the price is. plus when mari comes out you will be ready to take it for a ride 🙂

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/
Message 4 of 13
timd1971

oh god, don;t get that crappola 580. ultra entry level quadro...old technology. get the 460. seems you are on a budget, so the higher end quadros cost as much as a used car or new compact car.

the new geforce cards are just fine for max...mainly because max is geared mainly around directx (9 that is!, not 10!).... as the quadros are seem to be geared mainly for opengl type applications like Solidworks, CS5 Photoshop...but the geforce is fine for those.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Before people keep recomending the 400 series Nvidia cards for Max please realize that currently the cards are pretty much broken when running the application. On average, they are a fraction of the speed of the older 8800 series of cards, and Nvidia has confirmed they are not going to address the issue in the consumer level cards, instead focusing on any 3dsmax performance improvements for their Quadro line. I have used Nvidia cards all my life for 3ds Max and prior to the 400 series it was true that they were great cards, and that the Quadro line were unnecessary to get great performance and stability, but this is no longer the case.

Just wanted to pipe in as the original poster who followed the advice given here has, like others, bought a 400 series Nvidia card only to find out it runs slower than his old gaming card (GTS 250 aka rebadged 8800) which is several generations old. Please read his post documenting his experience with his new 460 card in the GTX 480 thread.

I have likewise posted benchmarks and my new GTX 470 is approximately 1/4 the speed of my 8800 GTX when working in wireframe scenes, and is overall much slower than my previous Nvidia card.
Message 6 of 13
companioncube

even though there are some issues at the moment with the 400 series i'm sure it will get better, just do not go for the quadro 580. if you really want a quadro card save up and get the new 4000 otherwise another alternative is an nvidia 285 gtx which i what use at the moment but not many places seem to be selling them anymore.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

I would aggreed with Lowebowski reply. I using both desktop i7 870,8GB ram, geforce 460 and dell M6400 core 2 xtreme qx9300 + 8GB ram + M7740. The desktop is noticably slow and choppy while working with the same 3d shot compared to the M7740. Rendering goes to the desktop which is 3x faster since its using much powerful cpu. Viewport is a no go for me on consumer part.
Message 9 of 13
inacentaur

I know a lot of you are saying entry level Quadro cards are crap. But, the Quadro 580 is on Autodesk's recommended list...
Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 n00b
Message 10 of 13
Dubbie

The Autodesk recommended cards list is worthless.

They are not tested under production conditions. There have been plenty of cards recommended in the past on the list that are almost completely unusable.

R
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

The Quadro 580 cards are a joke. Don't buy it.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Heres a test result l did, comparing the Quadro 600 vs GTX560Ti

http://mbah.net/2012/04/08/specviewperf-11-benchmark-results/

Hope this helps.
Message 13 of 13
janiashvili
in reply to: Anonymous

specviewperf is OpenGL test, so basically it's not much useful for 3ds max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report