Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC to Mac and back again...

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
kmarkus-walczak
161 Views, 0 Replies

PC to Mac and back again...

Ok, I'll admit right off the bat here that I am not a Mac person.  Never have been, NEVER will be.  That said, I'm having some issues with this project I'm working on that I would like to try and get figured out.

Basically it's a large project (the diner project I've been rambling about in other threads) that was created here at home on my humble PC...a home-build i5 system, ASUS mb, 16 gigs of ram, Sapphire/ATI vid card, Windows XP 64, etc., and the project I'm working on is on a 2 TB WD external USB drive. When I open any of the scene files here at home (at least the files that were created here at home), everything seems all fine and dandy.  Yea, the system bogs down a bit because the project is soooooo large, however it's managable. When I run the drive up to the local college however to try and use a few of the Macs to speed up my renders...head aches start.

Now I should mention here, that I used to do this all the time when I was taking classes at this same college.  Same PC here at home, same Macs up at the school.  Give or take some directory issues and such, I never had problems like this.  Now, when I go to open these files on the Macs, half the time they crash Maya and even when I can get them to open, after saving them on the Macs as a new file, those new files now blow errors when I try to open them here at home!

I'm suspecting one of two issues...1.) a Maya version conflict since I'm running 2013 here at home and the Macs are now running 2014 (had 2011 on both back when I was taking classes).  Ignore version should be in play all the way around, but...ya never know. 2.) Something screwy with this danged Maverick OS....they had Lions on there back when I was taking classes and while that OS was hosed in general, it never gave me any issues with Maya.  From what I've been reading, it looks like Maverick has some issues (particularly regarding Mental Ray) so at the moment at least, I'm inclined to think this is the more likely culprit.

Right now my former instructor and I are trying to setup a Backburner render farm up at the college (had to dust off the ol' copy of Unix for Beginners, LOL!), however it's not going to do me much good if I can't even get the stinkin' files to open.

So, any other cross-platform users out there having similar issues...and if so, any solutions or insites???

Thanks!

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report