Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSX Yosemite Compatibility

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
evandulaney
6877 Views, 37 Replies

OSX Yosemite Compatibility

Has anybody downloaded OSX Yosemite yet? does Maya 2015 (latest service pack) work?

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
rimcrazy
in reply to: evandulaney

More than one interested here. For multiple reasons I need to upgrade my MBP and I'm interested to hear if someone has tried, succeeded, failed in running 2015 on Yosimite
Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 3 of 38
jessica.t
in reply to: rimcrazy

Hi there!

We strongly encourage you to carefully check operating system compatibility with your version of AutoCAD for Mac before upgrading your Mac to OSX 10.10 (Yosemite). Current OS compatibility information is available here:

Mac OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) compatibility with AutoCAD (LT)

http://autode.sk/1u0JUlz

Jessica Thrasher
Message 4 of 38
evandulaney
in reply to: jessica.t

Is AutoCAD compatibility tied to Maya compatibility? I don't have AutoCAD installed on my system. 

I'm running Maya 2015 and have the latest service pack installed. 

I actually went ahead and installed OSX 10.10 Yosemite on one of my systems running with Maya. So far I can confirm that it opens. I'll continue to update this thread if I experience any issues. 

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Message 5 of 38
rimcrazy

Given that this is a Maya forum and has nothing to do with Autocad, is it safe, however, to assume, that if Autocad is going to be updated in a few weeks to work with Yosemite that Maya will also be patched or not?  SP5 for Maya was just released a few days ago so are we weeks away from another patch or are we months away from another patch.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 6 of 38
evandulaney

so far I've been able to open existing scenes and render single frames with V-Ray while using the latest service pack and Yosemite. I had DR enabled with machines that are still on either Mavericks, or Mountain Lion, and do not have the latest service pack. I have not yet tried to do any batch rendering. I havn't experienced any crashes as of yet. 

Message 7 of 38
rimcrazy

Good to know. I actually installed 2015 SP5 with just the bonus tools but so far no issues.
Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 8 of 38
evandulaney

Another good thing to note is that V-Ray for Maya is not officially supported yet according to their forums. They said there were users that reported license server issues. I did not encounter any issues, but my license server is running on Mountain Lion. 

Message 9 of 38
rimcrazy

I will have to try that.  My VRay license server is running on a Linux box.  My Maya license server is running on a MacMini running Mavericks.  I may wait to install VRay on my Mac.  I'll have to see.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 10 of 38
jessica.t

Hello all,

At this time, only AutoCAD for Mac 2015 and AutoCAD LT for Mac 2015 are compatible with Yosemite. As soon as we know more we will make an announcement. Thank you for your patience!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 11 of 38
yebah4

Hello all, I just did some tests with yosemite and maya 2014 sp3 and 2015 sp5 and I have the same display bug in the outliner > when I arrange the order of the elements I have no visual feedback (you know, the small line...).

If not enerything seems fine with vray 2.4.

Message 12 of 38
marcustas

Hi Jessica

I have installed Maya 2015 service pack 5 onto my machine OS 10.10.  I am trying to learn Maya so some things are a bit tricky at the moment and it seems some things don't work correctly.  I have come from a Lightwave background and so expected some similar functions.  At the moment selection of a simple surface seems to stall or selection settings are not consistent.  Reading through the help docs etc but still no solution.  The cubeView only works every now and then which seems to confirm my uspicions that the preferences are not holding.  I have a student version getting ready to teach Maya next year.

Regards

Marcus

Imac late 2013

OS 10.10

3.5GHz Intel Core i7

16Gb memory

Nividia GeForce GTX 780 4096

Message 13 of 38
mysweepstake

Hi there,

I installed Maya 2015 sp5 on Yosemite.  I've been able to animate, batch render, etc.  Everything is working good for me.  HOWEVER, everything is pixelated/blurry.  All the text - I can see each pixel that makes it up.  This has something to do with the retina display.  I have the most recent MacBook Pro bought a few months ago.

Is there anyway to fix this?  I've attached an image that shows the top menu bar clear, but the text in Maya pixelated.

Thanks so much for any help! 

Message 14 of 38
dmahurdle

When I attempt to open Maya on my Macbook Air wity Yosemite, everything seems to work but ANY movement of the mouse will behave as though I'm holding cmd and left clicking (rotate). All the other shortcuts work fine, but I can't move my mouse across the screen without screwing up my view by rotating to some ridiculous angle. I've tested this with Maya 2015, 2014, and 2015 LT. No luck. Anyone having similar issues?

Message 15 of 38
rimcrazy
in reply to: dmahurdle

At the moment I'm running 2015 SP5 on a brand ne MacBook Pro running Yosemite. So far no real issues. My MBP has the NVIDIA Gforce graphics chip with 2Gb of video ram. The problem dmahurlde is having might be related to the fact that the Air uses Intel shared memory graphics but I'm just speculating. I have to say I have not pushed things much so mine is certainly not an exhaustive test. I did have one crash so far but again hard to speculate as I've had those on other versions that specifically stated they were released for the OS. A little more info I run on a network license. It does boot and runs the rest is user beware until AD makes a specific release for Yosemite.
Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000
Message 16 of 38
mysweepstake

rimcrazy - So you are not experiencing any pixelation to the text inside of Maya?  I wonder why I am.  I have the new MBP with:

• Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    • 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

Is there a setting that maybe my mac is using the intel graphics instead of the nvidia?  Maybe I need to switch that somehow and then the text in Maya will support the retina display?

Thanks for your help!

Message 17 of 38
lucericr
in reply to: mysweepstake

Maya currently doesn't support high DPI modes, so the OS scales the app up.
You can turn on high resolution support for Maya to get sharper text, but there may be other graphical glitches or slowdowns. The steps to run an app in high dpi mode are here
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5266  Turn Off "Open in Low Resolution" mode instead of On.

Message 18 of 38
mysweepstake
in reply to: lucericr

Thanks so much, lucericr!  This is what I needed to hear/confirm.  "Open in Low Resolution" mode is grayed out though, so I guess I'll just have to wait for Autodesk to upgrade to support retina display.  Surprised they haven't already.  Retina displays have been out for years.

Thank you again for everyone's help!

Message 19 of 38
dan.phyillaier
in reply to: yebah4

I am having the same problem with the outliner and not getting visual feedback when moving items.  I am using Maya 2015 Extension 1 + SP5 on OS X 10.10.1.  Has anyone found a solution for this?  

I haven't noticed any other issues so far.

Message 20 of 38
rimcrazy
in reply to: dan.phyillaier

Well the obvious solution to all of these issues is a new release to Maya 2015 that is officially supported by Autodesk.  I reported my success failures as we all should with the hope that these are passed on to the development team.  My guess is that 90% of these are most likly already known by them and is not really news but one never knows.  At the moment complaing that their release does not work with an unsupported OS is kind of like going to the doctor and complaining "Hey it hurts when I do this!".   Which then prompts the doctor to reply "Well then, don't do that."

Win 10 Pro 64Bit
Lenovo P72
64Gb Ram
Nvidia P4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report