Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Graphic Cards on IBM Bladecenters S/H

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
204 Views, 7 Replies

No Graphic Cards on IBM Bladecenters S/H

Hi All,

Would like to know whether we need a graphics card to run/render a scene on these machines. The reason for asking is these blade machines does not come with the Graphics card in them.

Machines are:

IBM 3850M2 , Blade Center S, Blade Center H, 3550, DS3200.

These machines do not have graphics cards. Wanted to know whether we can install and render 3ds Max, Maya, Mental Ray, Vray, Turtle scenes.

Thanks for the help here.
Eagerly waiting.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

Software rendering does not require a graphics card...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you n8skow for your fast response and answer.

Please give us info on at your time,

what app/software requires Graphics card for rendering ?

Much appreciated .
Message 4 of 8
n8skow

In regards to Maya or 'software' in general? Not sure I understand your question...
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Apologies about the confusion:

I mean to ask,

1) what aspect of Maya or 3ds Max or any of the Autodesk apps need good graphics card ? ( is it the GUI or Plugins or Textures)
2) Are there any hardware dependent renderers ?
3) Rendering with the requirement of Graphic cards means is it GPU related or Cell Technology related.

Thank you for your answers n8skow.
Message 6 of 8
n8skow

1. Viewport acceleration is about the only thing that actually "requires" hardware acceleration. Now, there is an option to use OpenGL Acceleration for ShadowMaps in MentalRay (in Maya), and in older versions of Maya - some particle effects had to be hardware rendered and composited back into the scene (and still can be for particular cases), but for most intents and purposes, your rendering can be accomplished entirely in software and depends solely on CPU and memory.
2. There are a few hardware dependent renderers on the market (mostly targeted at the gaming industry) such as CgFX/Gelato, DirectX/HLSL, and it looks likely MentalRay will start to get some hardware acceleration in the near-future since nVidia bought them up. nVidia also supports physics calculations on their upper end cards (I believe a group has also achieved this on ATI cards)
3. Sorry, I don't understand the question on this one...
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: n8skow

Is that true?
Message 8 of 8
n8skow
in reply to: n8skow

This thread is quite old Marshalm, and the technology has evolved.

There are several render packages that support GPU rendering these days, but it it still possible to software render on a headless (graphics-card absent) blade.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report