Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya2015 slow startup with MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH over VPN

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
froszu
342 Views, 2 Replies

Maya2015 slow startup with MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH over VPN

Hello

I'm experimenting with running maya with connecting to network through VPN.

My setup is a fresh windows7, OpenVPN, fresh and default maya2015_SP5 installed to local harddrive. This starts in about 20 secs.

Now, when I add envvar MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH pointing to a folder accessible through VPN, and then start maya, it has a long period of unresponsiveness just after GUI shows up. So it's like 20secs to boot and then about 2 minutes of doing nothing when I can barely move viewport or select menus.

This is with empty folder containing no plugins at all and with my real env setup maya takes forever to start.

What's interesting adding this folder to MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH after maya is launched causes no such freezes - but unfortunatelly this is not an option for me.

any clues ?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
santd
in reply to: froszu

Hi @froszu,

Thank you for posting to the Area forums.

It makes sense to me that there would be a delay when setting an environment variable that Maya accesses at launch to a VPN location.

Setting a path that is only accessible through VPN introduces different factors such as security, network speed, and VPN connectivity. I think it may be best to grab the plugs and place them locally. I understand that may not be ideal in case new plugs are uploaded.

The reason there is no delay once you set the variable after the fact is because I believe Maya is only actually looking to that path at launch. If you set it and then restart you should notice the slow down.

I hope that information is helpful.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 3 of 3
froszu
in reply to: santd

Thanks David,

I'll look for some methods to synchronize plugins to local disk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report