Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Maya MentalRay 2015 not starting

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
autodesk
1294 Views, 10 Replies

Maya MentalRay 2015 not starting

Hi there,

i just installed Maya MentalRay on an imac with Mac OSX 10.9.4. I wanted to have this machine as an supporter for rendering my scenes in maya 2015 (macPro). After installing it states that you should restart and afterwards everything should work fine. After restart i see that the mentalray daemon-process is not running. I tried to start the newly added lunchdaemon manually - that works, but after approximately 20 seconds, the mentalray daemon stops running.

I can't get a renderProcess running over network. Maybe someone could advise what to do here? Any ability to activate logging for mentalray sattelite to see where the problem is?

Thanks in advance šŸ™‚

Paul

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: autodesk

Hello,

have you installed the right version?

I would try to install the latest SP4 and additionally the MentalRay Satelite from out of this Link:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2015-servi...

Potentially this article is helpful as well:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Setup-ment...

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 3 of 11

I would like to second this. I tried running the installer in the DMG from the link you just specified, but, after installation and a reboot, "launchctl list" confirms that the daemon is not running at all. Tried executing the commands in the /bin folder - but they don't do anything. This is on Yosemite 10.10, but also on Mavericks 10.9.4 as well. Can't quite figure out what to do, how to get it working. Please help.... šŸ™‚
Maya 2014 ā€” Mac Pro 2013 - Quad-Core Xeon E5, 32GB DDR3, dual AMD FirePro D300, 2GB ea.
Message 4 of 11
autodesk
in reply to: subgeniuszero

Yes, exactly the same problem here. Good to see that i'm not the only one with this problem šŸ˜‰

Autodesk support already opened a case for me - Hope we'll find a solution for that problem. I keep you updated.

Message 5 of 11
Florian.Coenen

Hello guys,

potentially this Link is helpful:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-DBC24E01-8E66-42B4-B36C-81AA69073997

in the Link there is a "sudo" command in order to run the deamon. have you tried that command?

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 6 of 11
autodesk
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

That command is only for the standalone version. I'm talking about Mental Ray (not standalone). And even if, the command will just force the daemon to be started on the next system startup. Nothing else then when you load this manually with:

launchctl load XYZ.plist

launchtl start XYZ

Sorry... not the solution for the problem

Message 7 of 11
subgeniuszero

Here's what I'm doing . . . maybe you can tell me where I'm going wrong:

1)  Download the mental ray satellite 2015 for Sp4 dmg from Autodesk

2)  Run the installer on the disk image on the slave computer

3)  Go to command prompt, cd to "/Applications/Autodesk/mrsat3.12.1-maya2015/"

4)  Run the command "sudo ./bin/install_niservice install", and get the confirmation from the system that it is, in fact, installed.

5)  Run the command "sudo cp com.autodesk.mentalraysat2015.plist /Library/LaunchServices"

6)  Reboot the computer.

7)  Run the command "launchctl list | grep 'autodesk' and get . . . nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.

šŸ˜Ž  Just to make sure, run the command "launchctl list" by itself and MANUALLY inspect the list of services.  It's NOT listed.

9)  Check Activity Monitor . . . nope, not there either.

10)  Check /etc/services . . . nope, not there either!

11)  Try to network render with Maya, with the other computer as the master (after editing maya.rayhosts file) . . . get nothing at all.

So what am I doing wrong?

Maya 2014 ā€” Mac Pro 2013 - Quad-Core Xeon E5, 32GB DDR3, dual AMD FirePro D300, 2GB ea.
Message 8 of 11
Sutrebla01
in reply to: subgeniuszero

I am now also experiencing this issue..... Any updates?

// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2015/scripts/startup/autoLoadPlugin.mel line 46: The specified procedure could not be found.
(Mayatomr)

Message 9 of 11
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: Sutrebla01

Hello,

basically the launchd process is normally running and is a sort of listener. In case the raysat service is needed, the launchd process will start the process.

In order to get the satellite on a mac to run, potentially this steps are helpful within another thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-hardware-os/mental-ray-satellites-on-different-os-solved/...

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 10 of 11

Same problem!!! Just upgraded to 2015, 2014 was working fine! Help Please!

Message 11 of 11

I think I've got it!

By combining a number of different techniques, I've got this working. I'm on a deadline now, so I'll copy/paste my notes here. As of right now, I have 4 Satellite nodes working perfectly with Maya 2015 service pack 5 on Mavericks (latest).

MENTAL RAY SATELLITE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

MAYA 2015 SP5

OSX Mavericks

FIRST:

Copy the insatller to your desktop. You'll need to navigate through the contents of the installer, and install 2 package files manually through terminal while logged in as a superuser. Right click on the .mpkg files and "Show Contents" until you get to the two package files, then copy them to your desktop. Here's a full path the .pkg files:

Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 8.45.48 AM.png

The package files to be copied to your desktop are:

mrsat_core3.12.1.pkg

mrsat_launchd3.12.1.pkg

Open Terminal

sudo -s

installer -pkg [drag drop packages one at a time here] -target /

Go to the folder where mrsat is supposedly installed, typically '/Applications/Autodesk/mrsat3.12.1-maya2015/'. Find the file 'rayc.template' and edit that with texteditor (or sudo nano in terminal). In the file, replace '<INSTALLDIR>' with the actual path, again in this case '/Applications/Autodesk/mrsat3.12.1-maya2015/'. Save the file and make sure it's set to plain text, not rich text format.

Go to the '/bin' folder and open 'raysatd.template'. Set the SPM_HOST as commented in the file and again replace the string '<INSTALLDIR>' with the actual path. Save.

Go back to the previous folder, where you found the 'rayc.template' file. Now open 'com.autodesk.mentalraysat2015.plist' in texteditor (or sudo nano in terminal) and once more replace '<INSTALLDIR>' with the actual path. Save. This .plist file needs to be copied to the folder '/Library/LaunchDeamons/'.

as normal user, preform the following in terminal:

chmod 644 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.autodesk.mentalraysat2015.plist

then, in terminal,

launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.autodesk.mentalraysat2015.plist

(I've found that this Daemon will be have to be manually launched after reboot(s) unless scripted to start at boot)

Make sure MRSAT is in your PATH:

In terminal:

sudo nano /etc/paths

At the bottom of the list of paths, add:

/Applications/Autodesk/mentalray3.12.1/bin

save changes, and overwrite the file.

Sorry for the brief notes, but I'm on a crazy deadline! I'm sure there could be a cleaner way to do some of the above, and I'm welcome to feedback, but this WORKS. FYI, I didn't use Text Edit, I used nano in terminal for my text edits. When you do the chmod, make sure you're not using sudo, but using your normal user privileges. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report