Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya crashes on startup - Windows 7

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Russter11
15046 Views, 19 Replies

Maya crashes on startup - Windows 7

Hi,

I've been running Maya on my MacBook Pro for a couple of years now with no problems. I recently built a PC, which runs everything great, except for Maya (I've tried 2014 and 2013). It crashes as soon as it opens, with no error messages other than "Fatal Error, attemtping to save in..." Below are my system specs:

Windows 64-bit Professional
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core
GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
16GB DDR3 SDRAM
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Intel Motherboard

This should meet all of the requirements, however my Video Card is not listed under Autodesk's list of recommended ones (The card was released only a month ago). I'm wondering if this, or the driver that runs it, is the problem. So far I've made sure all of my drivers and Windows are up to date, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Maya a number of times, and have even reinstalled Windows. Still no luck. The first few lines of my crash report reads:

Exception code: C0000005: ACCESS_VIOLATION - illegal read at address 0x00000000
Fault address:  FAB58BDC in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\CoProcManager\nvd3d9wrapx.dll
0001:00007BDC Logical offset (see .map file for location)

I'm not too well-versed at how the back-end of software works, but it seems like the nvidia driver is the culprit here. My only other suspicion is that I am still running the 30-day trial of Windows 7, so it has not been activated yet, but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with this.

I've already contacted Autodesk support, which has been rather useless. Is it a logical assumption that my video card, or driver running it, is the problem? If so, is there anything I can do now to remedy this, or is it likely that an update to either Maya or the driver will be released to fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Brian

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
ankit.jain
in reply to: Russter11

I have the same problem
Message 3 of 20
Russter11
in reply to: ankit.jain

Good to know I'm not the only one at least. I've been using Nvidia GeForce 320.08 and 320.18 drivers since apparently they're the only ones that work with this video card right now since it just came out. No luck out of either of them. Are these the same ones you're using? Hopefully either Nvidia or Autodesk will address this problem. Does anybody else have any knowledge on the subject?
Message 4 of 20
nelsoncruz

Hi Russter11

We are tracking a similar bug in ADSK support and are wondering if you can try something to see if the crash goes away.

When you have a moment please locate the maya.env file.  In Windows 7 it is located in "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\maya\2014-x64". Load the maya.env file with notepad or any other text editor.  It will most likely be a blank file unless you have added something in the past.  in the first available line add the line below save and launch Maya.

MAYA_DISABLE_CIP=1

Cheer!

Nelson

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 5 of 20
Russter11
in reply to: nelsoncruz

Hey, that worked! This is fantastic. Would you mind explaining what the problem was when you have a chance? Many thanks Nelson! -Brian
Message 6 of 20
ankit.jain

I finally got a solution to that problem. I recently updated my Nvidia drivers to 320.18 which caused maya to crash.

Finally i had uninstall the update and get back to 314.22 drivers.
Message 7 of 20
Russter11
in reply to: ankit.jain

Nice. Right now Maya seems to be working with the driver I currently have installed (320.08) with the bit of code that Nelson sent. If I run into any more problems, I'll try the driver you're using. Thanks for the update.
Message 8 of 20
aaanim

thanks a millions, nelson
jack
Message 9 of 20
campi81

Totally worked. Thanks a lot, been driviing me insane.

Message 10 of 20
danmihaila.e
in reply to: campi81

Thank you so much! 

When I see solutions like this I wonder how you people do it... I know it might sound retarded... but really... Thanks a lot!

You made a man happy!

Message 11 of 20
danmihaila.e
in reply to: danmihaila.e

Question: While trying to fix the issue I reverted my graphic card driver back to the previos one (320.18). Can I safely install the latest one (320.49). 

Can some1 please confirm that this driver works and won't screw Maya again? 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Dan

Message 12 of 20
Russter11
in reply to: danmihaila.e

Hi Dan, I currently have 320.49 installed and Maya has been working fine with Nelson's bit of code. You should be able to go ahead an install this one without running into any problems. -Brian
Message 13 of 20
danmihaila.e

I can confirm that indeed, there is no problem if you install the latest driver!

Thank you so much again!

Message 14 of 20
adrian_adams

This is all what's needed to be done?!? OMG THANK YOU!!! I have been going crazy over this!
Message 15 of 20
jlerogue

This did not work at all for me.  I'm at my wits end with installing Maya 2014 on Windows 8.  My 2010 install works great.  Installs without a problem.  As for 2014, I had already installed/uninstalled four times, trying something different in-between installs.  I always get the 0xc000007b error upon attempting to start Maya.  I have:

Uninstalled Everything Autodesk:
Uninstall Programs didn't work, so I followed Autodesk's instructions for uninstalling from Windows:
    Uninstalled all peripheral apps (each seemed to uninstall)
    deleted %TEMP%../Local/Autodesk
    deleted %TEMP%../Roaming/Autodesk
    deleted c:\ProgramData\Autodesk
    deleted c:\Program Files\Autodesk
    deleted c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk
    edited registry, removed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autodesk
    edited registry, removed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk

disabled Symantec

rebooted

Even after all that, between each uninstall, the uninstalls are never 100% complete, so I actually have to back-level to a restore point.  In addition, I have also tried the following:

deleted MSCVR100.dll from windows\system32 and replaced with Autodesk's x64 MSVCR100.dll
reinstalled VC++ 2012 x64 and x32 distributable
Deleted c:\windows\system32\d3dx*.dll and reinstalled (DirectX installs w/ Maya 2014)
Used Microsoft Uninstaller Clean-up utility to remove from Installed Programs list.
edited Registry for 1402 error, taking permission of "components" key

Added MAYA_DISABLE_CIP=1 to my 2014-x64\maya.env (which, incidentally, no such directory was there, so I created it, copying an earlier 2010 install.)

Please help.

Message 16 of 20
coolbro15

Im having the same issue....however it is with windows 8....everytime i go to load it i will get a fatal error crash.   

My specs include

I5 3.4 processor

16gb ram

Nvidia gtx 760 2mb video card with latest update.

Is there a solution to this issue ?

Message 17 of 20
TwylaFox

I'm having the same issues.

Worked fine a month or so back when I first installed then, out of nowhere, any AutoDesk product apart from Fcheck crashes on start-up.  Wiped everything and did a clean install of Maya 2014 - same result.  Wiped everything again and did a clean install of Maya 2013 - same result.  nVidia drivers 314.07 and 320.49 - same result all four ways.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor            (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32712MB RAM
Page File: 7958MB used, 24695MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  
Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Display Memory: 4047 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1999 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Samsung 27" LED
Monitor Model: S27B550
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Monitor Name: Samsung 27" LED
Monitor Model: S27C230
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMID3D9 Overlay: Supported
DXVA-HD: Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

Message 18 of 20
bsyoon

I had the same problem when I was installing motion builder, too.

Following solution worked for me.

http://www.harrycaskey.com/disable-autodesk-customer-involvement-program-cip/

Message 19 of 20
harshaappu217

Thank you so much, i have been facing the problem for a very long time. I tought i had problem with my PC and had decided to buy a new one, now sir you saved me alot of money there. Thank you so much, now i can get back to my work.

One more thing would this work on 3ds max too?? i have the same problem there too

Message 20 of 20
joycenodav

my Maya is still crashing 😞

my computer is windows 8.1 pro

2.7 GHZ

64bit

6gb RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report